CF Workout Series Two Download: Speed and Strength Review

CF Workout Series Two Download: Speed and Strength Review

Duration 23:10

The clip starts with Charlie briefly explaining the objectives of the workout to follow in this second real-time film. The latter deals with Power Speed, i.e., what it is, how it should be treated metabolically with references to duration of execution and recovery, how Power Speed should progress via its four different kinds identified, where its limits are and why.

The first part of the clip takes place on the track, where the athlete goes through the whole series of Power Speed drills, i.e., bum kicks, A skip, B skip, running As, running Bs and Straight Leg Bounds. This is a great chance for coaches and athletes alike to clarify the terminology, as some of the drills are often used interchangeably. Also, the main difference between As and Bs is explained later on in the clip and how the latter should really be executed.

Along side the athlete Charlie comments on specific aspects of the drills with regards not only to technique (e.g., how the arm action relates to each drill, where the emphasis should be, posture, etc) but to the total duration and recovery periods each of them should have, what should be avoided and why –prevention is better than the cure. Emphasis is also given on the nature of the recovery period between drills, appropriate selection of which should reflect the aims of the workout itself, or the workout to follow. What the athlete should do, how, when, why and how this dynamic relates to the four kinds of Power Speed drills.

Charlie goes into specifics on how the drills should be managed time-wise, so the desired results are brought about. Valid points are also made on the characteristics such drills should have in order for tightness to be avoided and an effective preparedness of the athlete to result –first do it right, then speed it up.

The film continues with the resisted Speed Power drills on the track. It is interesting here to note the modifications suggested overall and specifically for each drill and how the nature of the workout is adjusted for its purposes to be served (e.g., which drills should be left out, which should be altered, etc). A progression of the resistance itself is also demonstrated.

The dynamic of a Power Speed workout is such that it can vary from a specific warm up for the speed work of the day to a session on its own, a “particularly useful means of getting work done when you have limited facilities and the weather is bad…”, as Charlie points out.

The group then moves to the hill for a demonstration of the drills on a more challenging terrain. Charlie immediately adjusts the athlete’s workout for the day for reasons explained and he gets more and more feedback from the athlete as the session and its difficulty progress (e.g., especially on the hill).

A very helpful differentiation is made at this point between the four kinds of Power Speed work (e.g., number of options to be chosen at a given workout), which can be particularly helpful for putting them into perspective and structuring similar sessions accordingly. The latter issue is further clarified with sequence suggestions over a specific training phase.

Charlie’s intentions and rationale throughout the clip are very clear and to the point. For a single training element and the duration of the film, there is an overload of information. The recruitment of an athlete who has appeared once before in one of the films is also a positive in my view, as people can easily follow up and appreciate improvements.

The installment is very helpful in expanding specific training options and alternatives and a valuable addition to anyone’s training material.

I am sure there will be plenty of discussion in the relative thread dedicated to the product, as the information is readily applicable.

I hope the above gives a helpful review of “Speed and Strength”

Nikoluski

Oi Nik! Stop doing my job! Great review by the way.

Stop travelling!

I confirm the good impression.I really liked it, also a better quality of the movie helped.
Gave so me good hints, and a good price also!
The one thing I didn’t like was an (in my opinion ) excessive arm angle during certain drills by the athlete…
I tried the workout with on myself and an athlete,(slightly reducing workload, and bad weather helped:)) …it’s really though work, I could feel it at night…
great work, keep going charlie.
(I see number 3…bounds??plyos?)

so this dvd covers mostly the power speed drills?

Nik’s review covers it all.

I’m considering buying the dowload, are the workouts aimed at GPP or SPP?

Thanks

From what I understand, this athlete is in his GPP. Perhaps he went through the whole series for demonstration purposes. Taking into account the progressions presented -and depended on the athlete, of course- I suppose it can be used in SPP, too, for different purposes. Also, it can always be used as a training means on its own, whenever it’s needed (e.g., weather).
Hope it helps!

ill wait for the next product.

Power Speed is omni-present and so this applies to both GPP and SPP. Generally the weighted or hill part of PS is concentrated towards the end of GPP and the beginning of SPP.
Review the GPP DVD and you’ll understand why.
(Hint, intensity within PS rises BUT as intensity of Speed Work rises, the intensity of other componants must be adjusted to allow for maximization of the key element.)