Celtics celebrate: Garnett signs

Garnett heads to Boston in blockbuster deal
Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:28PM EDT

BOSTON (Reuters) - The Boston Celtics moved on Tuesday to return the franchise to its glory years by acquiring 10-times All-Star Kevin Garnett from the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Garnett is an athletic power forward still searching for his first NBA title after spending his first 12 years in the league with the Timberwolves.

“Kevin Garnett is a great player in our league, with a fierce and competitive spirit, who brings offensive scoring prowess and a defensive presence to our team,” Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge said in a statement.

The Celtics will ship to the Timberwolves forwards Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, center Theo Ratliff, guard Sebastian Telfair and two first-round draft picks.

At 6-foot-11, 253 pounds, the 31-year-old Garnett is one of just five players in NBA history to amass at least 19,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 4,000 assists.

Garnett originally balked at getting traded to Boston, a youthful team that finished with the second-worst record in the NBA last season at 24-58.

But the Celtics’ draft-day acquisition of 32-year-old seven-times All-Star guard Ray Allen appeared to have helped change his mind.

Also on Boston’s roster is 29-year-old forward Paul Pierce, a five-times All-Star. While Boston shipped to Minnesota most of its youth, Garnett, Allen and Pierce wearing the same uniform is a dangerous combination.

“I am excited to become a Celtic,” said Garnett, the 2004 league MVP. "It’s wonderful to have the opportunity to play with players of the quality of Paul (Pierce) and Ray (Allen).

“The Celtics have had a proud tradition and now I hope that we can add to the legacy.”

Garnett has career averages of 20.4 points and 11.4 rebounds and has been named to the All-NBA Defensive first or second teams eight times.

He scored 22.4 points a game last season and led the league in rebounding with a 12.8 average.

The Celtics have won 16 NBA championships but none since the 1985-86 season.

The Celtics will ship to the Timberwolves: forwards Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, center Theo Ratliff, guard Sebastian Telfair and two first-round draft picks.

A great day for Boston sports!

I’m glad to see they got through contract extensions. They are already considerding the Celts playoff contenders for the upcoming season. Garnett alone might get the job done, but when you throw in Ray Allen, and Pierce into the mix it should be interesting. RIP to Al Jefferson and the rest of the guys, who held their own while with the Celts! They will be missed.

Even better news in Boston, Boston now has the top 3 relief/closing pitchers in the league with the deal to get Gagne in the picture. Anytime post has the lead through 6 its over. However I would have rather seen them keep Gabbard who is one of the main reasons Boston has been able to hold off the Yankees late surge.

Does anyone else think this might not be the best move? I mean, all those players plus two draft picks? Seems like a lot, even for Garnett. I would have liked to have seen them go after a quality point guard. Teams with good points always seem to do well.

Plus a bunch of good players don’t always make a good team, you need chemistry. Pierce, Allen and Garnett are all used to getting tons of points, will they be able to share?

I think this is good for both teams. Boston will be a contender in the east now. they lack depth but should still play some serious ball.

But it’s also great for Minnesota. They seriously cleaned out Boston’s entire inventory and have set themselves up quite well for the future. Hell all the Raptors got for Carter was two late first round draft picks from NJ.

Garnett only signed because Ray Allen did. Who would of thought, that they’d win a title in there first year together.

Many people.