Cathy Freeman - psychologist

Freeman feted, but no comeback
Peter Desira
05may06

CATHY Freeman was overwhelmed by the reception when she carried the Commonwealth Games baton but the Olympic gold medallist has ruled out a comeback to athletics.

“My heart was virtually jumping out of my chest. It made me wish the Olympics had been held here in 2000. I don’t know whether I’m allowed to say that, but it’s the truth,” a beaming Freeman said yesterday.
Freeman was at the MCG to be presented with a medallion and certificate marking her induction to the Sport Australia Hall of Fame.

Freeman, who was overseas when she was inducted last November, said she felt humbled by yesterday’s ceremony, which was conducted by Hall of Fame chairman John Bertrand.

“No, I’m not contemplating a return and if someone asks I might slap them,” Freeman joked.

The former sprint queen is studying to become a sports psychologist, is writing a children’s book and is turning film-maker for a TV project.

After lighting the Olympic flame at the 2000 Sydney Games, Freeman won gold in the race that stopped the nation – the women’s 400m – and claimed Australia’s 100th Olympic gold medal.

She also won silver at the 1996 Olympics, and gold at the 1990 and 2002 Commonwealth Games.