Can 10 & 40 be used to estimate 60

Can an athletes 10 yard & 40 yard dash times be used to estimate an athletes 60 yard dash time?
If I take their 10 yard dash time 1.74 and subtract it from their 40 yard dash time 4.88, giving me 3.14 for 30 yards= 9.55 yards per and use that time to estimate 50 yards + 1.74 for the 10 yard giving me a time of 6.97 seconds for the 60 yards, would that be a fair estimate without running a full 60 yard dash?

People have produced mathematical predicition tools to do this stuff but they produce average values. It really depends on the training background of the athlete as someone like a shot putter will elite over 10m but probably only average over 60m.

As for your addition… 10m segments get shorter as distance increases upto around 60m for top spritners.

E.g.
0-10m = 1.9s
50-60 = 0.85

So there isn’t a linear relationship.

(remember these times are electronic timed so will be quicker for hand timing)

Google it and you might find a prediciton tool that isn’t linear.

TC

Our times are electronic, but as the weather changes and we have to move inside, restrictions for the distances for sprits will become a problem. I was also wondering if there was some predictable correlation or bench mark that would give you an idea that at certain stages of the year if this time is run, this would be a probable outcome for the 60 yard dash.
Early in the year when intensity limits are in place, how do you monitor progress for the 100 M sprinter?

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/dash.htm

That is the closest I could find. It converts a 40 yard dash time into a 60 meter time, plus 100m and 200m.

I just tried that. For hand times it either overestimates or underestimates the time for me in the distances less than 60m. In distances greater than 60 the approximations come closer to the mark but only for an experienced sprinter. Each individual sprinter will have different attributes such as accleration, maximum velocity, and speed endurance. There is no way for beginners or even intermediates can have their time calculated bc there are to many variables involved. The closest would be advanced or elite sprinters. I would suggest you use the current 10, 30, and 40m times as your guides until you get outdoors. You can approximate an athletes 60m time by their 40 with given ratio. Each athletes ratio might be different but it can give you some approximation to where there at. For example, if Joe’s 40y time is 4.21 and his 60y time is 6.51 then the approximate ratio is 1.54631. Whereas, Blow’s 40y time is 4.89 and his 60y time is 7.55 then the approximate ratio of the 40y to the 60y is
1.5439. In this case the ratios are remarkably similar in fact if you round to 2 decimal points you have an exact ratio; however, if Blow’s 60y time was 8s then the ratio jumps to 1.63599! You can take these approximation ratios in say Aug outdoors compare them to approximation ratios in December. Now if the athlete has made any gains or losses in speed endurance or any of the other factors metioned previously then the approximations will not be perfectly correct but still give you an athletes approximate time. So in other words the ratios indicate for some athletes poor acceleration and speed endurance which might only improve somewhat in the upcoming year so the approximations should work. For athletes making huge gains in accleration or speed endurance the approximations won’t mean squat.