Calf Issues

to anyone who can help, im getting serious issues with calf cramps. its been bothering me for the past few months and whenever I run my left calf will spasm/cramp and I stop immediately. basically it would be impossible to continue running when this happens and soreness would last for another 1-2days.

ive tried eccentric heel drops, icing, rolling, stretching etc and next step is finding whether chiropractor would be more beneficial or physio. at this stage im getting tired of it happening. ive orthodics etc etc etc

any ideas

I’m sure your hydration and minerals are in check?

Yea cramping and muscle spasms means your deficient in some kind of mineral. but is it only that calf thats cramping? If so, id find a good doc or a therapist. Might need someone to dig in there and see whats goin on

everything seems ok nutrition-wise. yes only calf cramp on left for last while. very frustrating!

you need to see a knowledgeable therapist or doctor

Calves are interesting because we use them constantly.

Have you tried

Head stands ( don’t laugh. I do them now and it’s 10x better than putting feet up. progress to do them or your head will hurt)

putting your feet up

hot and cold in pale that goes up to the knee

Likely cal mag and or zinc. Kinda no brainer supplements with regards with both are low in our current diets and absorption is an issue and both involved in many cellular functions so if we are low lots goes wrong fast

It would be great to find an awesome doc or therapist but you can also begin to trouble shoot as we have always done with many things

I’ve had tight calves my entire life and so did Charlie and both of us have / had big calves in relative terms to some

Icing is fine but the contrast gives you the circulation

You could have lots of inflammation going on due to standing a lot or generally having poor circulation

are you wearing high heals too much LOL ( yep, I am kidding)

Stretching might actually make things worse depending on the issue

As an aside I saw football players doing endless calf stuff at the gym at York yesterday and the team for York has never been very good. They were really killing the calf exercises and I thought to myself the comments Charlie made about lots of athletes NOT needing calf raises because we are already getting some much work in the calf that if you do lots of extra it becomes detrimental

New shoes often is a must / bad shoes are like bad tires on a car and protect the foot and calf which both act as shock absorbers unless they are over used

Lastly without going on and on as I could is TREAT yourself system wise. Biggest mistake most make when it comes to injuries. Local therapy is fine. I can’t know what is going on with you without speaking to you. Each of us typically have a weak spot or failing point and when under stress it / the weak spot reacts somehow.

Have you ever injured your calves?

When was the lsat time you replaced your shoes?

what information are you not thinking of or telling us? Sometimes we don’t realize how wear and tear adds up.

One last thing. When I had issues with my feet and or calves, the first 30 or even 40 min of my training which would have been my warm up was done without any calf involvement what so ever. Then I would move to using the feet for most priority issue.

Are you hamstrings tight?

How can I make my calves bigger? I have big upper legs but skinny calves.

Ange, thanks for the reply. my shoes are always fairly new as I rotate them ALOT and dump shoes frequently. had calf issues in the past but running flairs up my left calf especially. it spasms and that’s when I know to stop! high heels…….LOL id break my neck! im gonna try acupuncture as my wife had great results with this particular therapist and he insists he can help me. fingers crossed and ill keep ye’all posted

Go back end time and choose parents with big calves

Is that all? No donkey calf raises?

This is good news.

Charlie’s belief in acupuncture was too many people were doing it with excellent results that there had to be a great effect from the needles alone. He felt there was no way that all people practicing acupuncture had all of the points memorized like Waldamar did. Waldemar was the only person ever to do acupuncture on me who did not have blood on the needle for example. Apparently you are not supposed to draw blood. Why? I don’t know.

I still think you should not give up on some of the ideas we have used and practiced for well over my time doing this which is 30 plus years. It sounds like you are or have been trying other things and that’s good.

My experience has been people look to others to solve the issue. I am not saying this is what you are doing.

I think acupuncture is amazing and remember as athletes we would do therapy to fix an issue up to 3 times a day along with training and trainging around the issue and hot and colds etc.

I want to remind people of this and ask. Does it makes sense that getting therapy from the outside one time per week will work as effectively as the inidation of therapy how we do things to fix issues? Obviously not so keep that in mind too and do all things I’ve mentioned and acupuncture.

Sounds like you may have something under lying. Ankle mobility, foot striking etc… it’s causing issue and the calve is negatively reacting.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Leave no stone unturned.

I don’t know.

I think that is a body builder question.

If it looks right it flys right and when it flys right it looks good.

Do you really had small calves or are you obsessing about wanting different and or bigger calves? If you don’t have issues with your calves and it’s not stopping you in any way, train away regarding your calves.

I have a big butt and upper legs around 28inches and tiny calves (14in) and ankles. I have very small joints!!!

So you feel inadequate? calves.jpg

Just trying to get my skinny jeans to look right.

DO you also sag your skinny jeans…Jamaican style?

Yep and my joggers. I ran a 3.86 30m sagging in my joggers. lol

What jean brand, seriously?

If you do sprints and lift any lower body I don’s see how anyone fits into most brands unless you get the waist 2 sizes bigger.

https://www.pacsun.com/mens/jeans/

https://fathersonsclothing.com/collections/jeans/products/father-sons-slim-stretch-blue-acid-wash-jeans-fsh306

Damn, may as well just wear running tights, fashionista. I’d be more worried about my package than my calves.