Brue Lee Incredible Athlete

http://www.mikementzer.com/blee.html

ive been reading stuff about Brue lee, and he phsyicall abd mental training.

Its inspiring me to take it to the next level.

Dude! Bruce was the man. He was way into developing explosive power also. My eldest brother was trained in Wing Chung at his school in San Leandro, Ca in the late 60’s, early 70’s. HeHe has pictures from those days the he protects like the Hope Diamond. Yeah, Bruce was the sh*t indeed!

I am proud to say that I own all of Bruce Lee’s movies… and many books about him.

I once attended a workshop led by Ted Wong, one of Bruce Lee’s students (the only one to only practice Jeet Kune Do in it’s purest form under Bruce). The guy was about 56 years old and maybe 135lbs. He was fast as lightning and one of the big guys in attendance (300+ pounds) couldn’t take him to the floor. Very impressive. I can only image Bruce Lee was even more impressive.

The funny part is that apparently, Ted was rather clumsy when he first started training with Bruce.

Last August ('04) I attended a 2-day seminar with Dan Inosanto which was an absolutely incredible experience.

When you see how fast and smooth these guys are in their 60’s you can only imagine what Bruce was like at 30.

I saw a real live clip with bruce lee where he was doing steady pushups on his index and pinkie fingers alone! Also the famous explosive close range punch and his sidekicks had so much power that they knocked away a guy who was holding a punching bag about 10 feet back!!

The man had a incredible power to weight ratio and thats what sprinting is all about. I wonder how fast he ould run the 60metersin.

His mental toughness and strength of mind aswell.

don’t flame me but someone emailed me this link… fair but still evaluating on means that are very light on references.

http://www.myodynamics.com/articles/bruce.html

thoughts?

Bruce was a huge inspiration to me in my early years of martial arts. I used to think all the myths were true about him. Of course, after training for all these years and after watching real life films of bruce, I really can’t see how the myths could be true. Was he fast? Sure, my 118 pound Karate instructor was the fastest thing I ever saw. Could I whoop him in a fight…yes, I would just have to fall towards him after being knocked out by his super fast punch, and then when I regained consciousness, peel him off from underneath me.

There wasn’t a man who fought in the last Pride Bushido who couldn’t have taken Bruce to the cleaners. Of course, Bruce was ahead of his time in many regards. Many of his training principles are similar to those of Charlie, although if they fought, Bruce would never have been able to find Charlie due to Charlie’s ancient martial arts forms.

A bigger man with skill will beat a smaller man with skill -most of the time!

Just imagine Sugar Ray v Muhammed Ali in their prime. 160lbs v 210lbs! There are different weight divisions for a reason… Agree with Herb for the most part!

http://www.myodynamics.com/articles/bruce.html

What a load of CRAP. The article says Lee’s max squat would be 130lbs…BEFORE his back injury. Then the article says that means he was not strong enough to do plyometrics. Gimme a freakin’ break!

Oh but wait! Lee’s lower body strength was poor but his upper body strength was ASTOUNDING. “This would equate to an estimated 1 repetition maximum of 110 pounds and would place him in the 100th percentile for the 121-140 pound weight class.” ooooooo ahhhhhhhh. This author is sharp!

Oh and he can’t run faster than a 7:30 mile.

So Bruce Lee was about as athletic as the 60 year old dude at my gym who trains on swiss balls and ride the elliptical machine?

Whoever wrote this was a moron. The only acceptable that point he makes is the point that Lee had no tournament results.

I first read that article by Staley several years ago. Staley is not an authority on Bruce’s training or art. To really get an insight into the realities of Bruce’s training and skill I recommend trying to find copies of Dan Inosanto’s books Jeet Kune Do: The Art and Philosophy of Bruce Lee and A Guide to Martial Arts Training With Equipment. Both of these books are terrific and separate the reality from the mythical hoopla that often surrounds Bruce.

Unfortunately, both are out of print, but they frequently pop up for sale on ebay. The pricing/bidding on them can get outrageous, but there’s one supplier that seems to have a pretty large stock for sale that sells them on ebay for about $60 US, which is pretty reasonable if you have followed the bidding on these books in the past. I just did a search and a copy of each is listed by this seller right now.

I just did a quick search at Amazon, and there are several copies of the Art and Philosophy book for sale in the $35-$40 range.

Hey Flash, I’m wondering if Staley is an authority on anything… perhaps maybe plagiarizing - as we found out with his horizontal deviation, diagonal segregation or whatever he called it.

Flash the article wasn’t written by Staley but Christopher D. Hess, SMAC.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: In addition to the martial arts, Mr. Hess is a licensed cycling coach who regularly works with successful endurance athletes with tiny vertical jumps. He is the author of Total Quality Martial Arts:
Pathways to Continuous Improvement.

Unless you’ve seen it somewhere else and Staley has plagarized Hess:)!!

I remember seeing it on the Myodynamics site, that’s why I assumed Staley wrote it. Either way, neither of these guys knows much about Bruce’s training. Again, the authorities who actually know how Bruce trained are people like Dan Inosanto, Taky Kimura, Jerry Poteet, Larry Hartsell, Ted Wong, Dan Lee, Steve Golden, Bob Bremer, Tim Tackett, and Chris Kent. These are the guys to listen to.