Brain Restoration Cocktail.....

Ok…another cocktail…don’t expect to get razor cut or explosive, but when charlie speaks I listen! Anyone reading my article tempo and the beast on elitefts.com will understand the importance of tempo work.

It stimulates nerve growth factors binding and the regenerative capacity of myelinated fibers. Here is another blackstar lab cocktail that I suggest on tempo days…this is great for technical events to help support the CNS.

I sugguest taking it 90 minutes before bed on an empty stomach.

N Acetyl Cysteine 30%
L Taurine 30%
Acetyl L Carnitine 30%
Choose Flavor 10%

(1) Hart AM, Wiberg M, Youle M, Terenghi G. Systemic acetyl-L-carnitine eliminates sensory neuronal loss after peripheral axotomy: a new clinical approach in the management of peripheral nerve trauma. Exp Brain Res 2002 Jul;145(2):182-9

(2)Taglialatela G, Angelucci L, Ramacci MT, Werrbach-Perez K, Jackson GR, Perez-Polo JR. Stimulation of nerve growth factor receptors in PC12 by acetyl-L-carnitine. Biochem Pharmacol 1992 Aug 4;44

(3) Nutr Neurosci. 2001;4(6):439-43. Taurine as a micronutrient in development and regeneration of the central nervous system. Lima L, Obregon F, Cubillos S, Fazzino F, Jaimes I.

(4) Amino Acids. 2002;23(4):381-93. Treatment of hypertension with oral taurine: experimental and clinical studies. Militante JD, Lombardini JB.

warning: Dont’ change the formula to get a kitchen sink effect! too much heat will keep you up at night.

Ripley…tai chi…I understand now!

What is the dosage?

Ripley…tai chi…I understand now!

Along with other regenerative options… including the pool, it has worked wonders for me and the athletes. I never thought I would utilize or be a fan…but I’m sold.

Narked,

One scoop…it’s a Blackstarlabs blend!

clemson-
these cocktails are great-very informative ways to incorporate precision nutrition into regeneration.
i hope you continue to post these cocktails-look forward to more!
p.s.-i love the coconut milk +m. casein cocktail!

Thank god for dunkin donuts in the Bay state!

Effect of a hypocaloric diet, increased protein intake and resistance training on lean mass gains and fat mass loss in overweight police officers.

Demling RH, DeSanti L.

Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA. rhdemling@partners.org

We compare the effects of a moderate hypocaloric, high-protein diet and resistance training, using two different protein supplements, versus hypocaloric diet alone on body compositional changes in overweight police officers. A randomized, prospective 12-week study was performed comparing the changes in body composition produced by three different treatment modalities in three study groups. One group (n = 10) was placed on a nonlipogenic, hypocaloric diet alone (80% of predicted needs). A second group (n = 14) was placed on the hypocaloric diet plus resistance exercise plus a high-protein intake (1.5 g/kg/day) using a casein protein hydrolysate. In the third group (n = 14) treatment was identical to the second, except for the use of a whey protein hydrolysate. We found that weight loss was approximately 2.5 kg in all three groups. Mean percent body fat with diet alone decreased from a baseline of 27 +/- 1.8 to 25 +/- 1.3% at 12 weeks. With diet, exercise and casein the decrease was from 26 +/- 1.7 to 18 +/- 1.1% and with diet, exercise and whey protein the decrease was from 27 +/- 1.6 to 23 +/- 1.3%. The mean fat loss was 2. 5 +/- 0.6, 7.0 +/- 2.1 and 4.2 +/- 0.9 kg in the three groups, respectively. Lean mass gains in the three groups did not change for diet alone, versus gains of 4 +/- 1.4 and 2 +/- 0.7 kg in the casein and whey groups, respectively. Mean increase in strength for chest, shoulder and legs was 59 +/- 9% for casein and 29 +/- 9% for whey, a significant group difference. This significant difference in body composition and strength is likely due to improved nitrogen retention and overall anticatabolic effects caused by the peptide components of the casein hydrolysate. Copyright 2000 S. Karger AG, Basel

Athlete,

How is the cocktail helping your training? Any changes in body fat and or recovery? I try to make the cocktails taste good without loss in effectiveness.

hey clemson, so basically this study says that protein powders based on calcium caseinate have a greater effectiveness than those based on whey, for increase in strength and drop in bf% (this could be due to the slowing down of the digestive process by caseinate provoking a greater efficiency of nutrient uptake?)

well, i own the coconut oil from wilderness naturals and have used it for some while with good results. i continue to use it, but have not made up my mind if i will re-order it after this new addition. outside of fish oil caps (not very high dosages),salmon fillet, almonds and olive oil- i dont get any other fats in my diet (trace saturates also).i really keep fat levels in prety low % of my caloric intake.
i have added the cocnut milk+protein cocktail about 1 hour to 1.5 hours before training (about 2.5-3.0 hours after breakfast). what ive found is steady energy and not a feeling of complete physical expenditure towards the end of my high intensity days.
i feel in general that i dont get enough calories, so this cocktail probably helped just through that means. however in general i feel more recovered as well as staying lean from not trying to overcompensate with feeding later in the day. right now i feel that my pre-workout nutrition is exactly where it needs to be, better than it has ever been. here it is for reference…

breakfast
1 cup oats
1 banana
1 serving raisins
cinnamon-(thanks clemson)
9 egg whites

3 hours later
protein scoop plus cocnut milk

1-1.5 hours later-high intensity training

like i said this seems to be the right combination for me right now. i also feel my post work-out meal is right on as well but that might be off subject.
looking forward to incorporating new cocktails!

Why keep fat % low? Keeping a moderate intake from fats is essential. You say you keep saturates at a low %, but a equal blend of poly, mono, and saturates will keep you optimal. Don’t be afraid of fat. Also, don’t be afraid of the full egg instead of all egg whites.

i dont necessariliy keep fat levels of sat. low purposely-i just eat really clean.
majority of sat’s come from lean red meat. i just find that my body responds better to lower fat intake. im careful to add to much fat overall because i have trouble balancing the mono’s poly’s and sat’s equally. i just havent mastered that balance yet. i just probably need some specific advice and planning with that…

Being completely balanced all the time is simply minutia. Just make sure you get appropriate amounts of all three, and you’ll be just fine.

There is another study (French in origin) which compares the effect of whey over casein. I haven’t seen the study, yet, but believe it comes to the same conclusion as the above. Must do a search…