Boyd Epley-"The Path To Athletic Power"

could someone kindly provide a link to that thread? I can’t find it when I search squat or 40.

http://charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=5575&highlight=Squat+40

Rock n roll,

Do some research Brian Oldfield!!!

He was very big, very strong and believe it or not very fast!!!

thanks. i remember reading that now, but it didn’t ring a bell when I read about it.

that’s all :stuck_out_tongue: nothing that I can really add…

I don’t need to do any research- I was there! I saw Brian High Jump almost 2 meters and run 60y sprints and consistently beat the fastest woman of the time, Wyomia Tyus. Although I never saw it, he claimed to have run a hand timed 10.6 for the 100m. He could easily do a standing back flip at the time he held the WR in the shot- 75ft.
Was he strong? Believe me, you didn’t want to find out! The storys are legendary. During one altercation, it took several carloads of Houston’s finest to subdue him. The police report read: “Nightsticks had no visible effect on the assailant!”

I love this site!

…yup but he is paying the price now. Looks to be 25 years older than he is, when I saw him last. Walks with a cane and with a slow, pained gait.
I dont sit in judgement on the likely impact of the many purposeful, and recreational, chemical imputs that I have heard first hand accounts of, but 60m sprints and the random nightstick beating didnt create the shell of his former self that one sees today.

Yes. I spoke with him about a year ago.

I found this on Dan John’s Get Up archives:

Brian Oldfield’s Lifting
Program from 1972
Sundays and Thursdays
Press off the Rack Power Cleans
135 for 3 135 for 3
225 for 3 225 for 3
275 for 3 275 for 1
295 for 1 300 for 1
310 for 1 325 for 1
320 for 1 345 for 1
330 for 1 355 for 1
340 for 1 365 for 1
350 for 1
Brian also threw “for max” three days a week.

Come on fella, lets not compare an elite “out of shape, powerlifter look” shotputter to an elite sprinter. That is laughable.

No numba, a shotputter gets annihilated. The shotputter can put up world class powerlifting No#'s in every type of oly, strength lift. He gets annihilated by an elite sprinter, period, nuff said, no comparison, laughable… It ain’t close.[/QUOTE]

R n R you do chat bull shit. Your comments ARE too brash though I may not agree with all the Epley has to say about training I would not start cussing a man who has 34 years of experience and has helped countless athletes to excellence and three of his athletes have won the Heisman Trophy. Show some respect before you go throwing juvenile remarks around the place. You should not be proud of the fact that people think you chat shit, the sad thing is you do.

Good Call Martn76!!!

Did check out this book last night at borders, I actually wouldn’t be that scathing with it. as a program, it can’t get much simpler. Nebraska has turned out some just well developed cornfed specimens.
Thoughts to consider -
1.) “We’ve found the push-pull circuit to be a superior means of developing the abdominals”
2.) “Zack Duval, a former assistant here [at NU], tried a 6 week experiment in which he had 36 HS males and 25 HS female athletes try the standard Husker Power offseason base program without any running to see if ground based lifting alone could improve 10yd 40yd VJ and Pro agility performance —
His results were (males only avg score, as that’s all i can remember)
10yd Pre - 2.08s 10yd post 1.86s (+.18s or 11.5%)
40yd pre - 5.9s post 5.7s (+.2 or 3%)
VJ pre - 16.0” post 20.4" (+4.4! or 21.5%!)
Pro Agility pre 5.16 post 5.04 (+ .12 or 2.3%)"

just somethings to chew on…

Meaningless with this target group. Just going forwards and not backwards will improve ANY group with no background. Not commenting on the merits of the exercise, just the test.

Brian Oldfield regular attend’s Powell’s Throwing camps in Ohio during the summer months. Dan John and him keep in touch as well.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking.