Box Squats

no extra hamstring benefit to atg squatting. the hips move in a arc path when squatting, with the most hamstring and posterior hip muscle recruitment peaking when the thighs are parallel and the hips are at their furthest point from the body’s midline.

I never got anything from box squats and felt full olympic squats hit the posterior chain more. Compare the legs and glutes of olympic weightlifters to powerlifters, some powerlifters actually have poor leg development (relatively speaking) and just use their back to squat and deadlift.
A properly performed olympic squat (perfect back arch all the way to ATG) hits the glutes far more than box squats IMO.

Rich any update to this as I know your were trialling?

Anyone?

The only vid I remember seeing of Ben squatting heavy was a poorly executed high boxsquat.

Star I know over the years you have been involved in strength development and of course that application into sprinting, I think you were the main poster in the bear droppings thread about this!?

What is your opinion and use of the box squat for sprint performance

My thoughts on squatting for sprinting…

• squats are probably the best lower body resistance exercise
  • box squats are an excellent squat version, especially for those that have problems with form or those that want to build max strength. They are safe, easy to learn, and seem to take stress off of the knees and low back.
  • If good form is used, including full range Oly squats (clean front squats) is good.
  • I think squats are best when coupled with weighted vest jumps, sled pulls, short steep hill sprints, and plyos
  • squats and all the other exercises listed above are great for improving short sprint performance, but, with the exception of bounding, seem to do little for Max V.