Books (one more time) Advice?

I skimmed through the Komi text while I was at Scott’s, what’s up Scott- thanks again for everything, and at a glance it is obvious that the Komi text contains a larger volume of scientific’ research and evidence in comparison to Supertraining which, in my view, is not as heavily loaded with pure science.

Those who do not posses either a science based academic background or a strong working knowledge of all things scientific would probably find the Komi text a greater challenge to comprehend than Supertraining.

Scott, would you agree?

Komi - easier read (if you’ve got a science background), pure scientific info about physiology of movement and adaptations; little ‘pure’ application, but gives a very good background for making training decisions

Supertraining - i’ve heard more than a few comments on Mel’s writing style and the organization of the book :slight_smile: , much more on application and periodization

Hey thanks :slight_smile:

Ok, I must have them both eventually… oh yeah and that other one too :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m getting a pretty good working base of science knowledge. I’ve made it through two college physiology type texts and feel I understood them pretty well, plus just about every science article I could find on the net, and 90% of pubmed. Man, no wonder my eyes are getting worse!

Thanks a bunch guys!
Ron

How much science do you need to know before taking on a book such as these? Would a regular high school guy like me be able to understand?

This will give you an idea go here click ‘articles’ on the left, then pick the ‘physiology related’ ones and start reading them. These are really good and a great ‘primer’ for other stuff.

Ron

Thanks for the advice guys, I ordered Supertraining and it arrived. This is one great book. :slight_smile:
I can’t believe how packed the info. is in here, I’m also amazed at how readable it is. I thought it was going to be a ‘tough read’, but Mel explains the info. in a very digestable manner.

Happy Reader here!
Ron

Oni, i read Supertraining for the first time senior year of highschool, it took me 7 months of reading a couple times a week. I didnt understand very much of it, but a few things i did pick up. I read it again the summer between my 1st and 2nd years of college after taking lots of chem and bio courses and it only took 2 weeks this time, and i understood more, but most was still a mystery. If you have the money its worth purchasing, but i wouldnt expect to come away with a whole new set of information. If money is tight there are other texts that are much more readable and probaly applicable.

-Charlie

As charlie said, great progression. I’d then read ST after exercise phys and one more time after biomechanics. By then you’ll get 99% of it

Another good progression is “Physiology of Sport and Exercise”, then “Neural Mechanics of Human Movement” then “Supertraining”

Enoka is a teacher at the University of Colorado Boulder. Charles Poliquin speaks very highly of him. He was at the Cleveland clinic also. I think he came out with a 3rd edition. Am I wrong? Could someone please doublecheck that. The 3rd edition is only $65. The name had been slightly changed, I think. I ordered 5 books for Christmas. Hey, in the name of getting better!!!

Yes, 3rd edition, that’s the one I have. Can’t say enough good things about it. :slight_smile: It’s still called “Neural Mechanics of Human Movement”

amazon link to Neural Mechanics

It gives you tons and tons of explanations on how the neuro muscular system operates, from the internals of muscle fibers, through the nervous system and joint mechanics, up to complex movement. He doesn’t say ‘how to train’ at all, just gives you the knowledge to understand the body. It also helps one sort out the false garbage out there. A couple things that I read, that really stand out, and are against “common internet knowledge”

1. Motor units in human muscle are different than other mammals, our muscle fibers cannot contract with differing tensions. They are either on or off for that point in time. Whole muscle tension is varied by frequency and coordination of MU’s. What this means, is that adding weight to the bar, does not increase the tension per fiber

2. The CNS is not the root of force loss during intermitant contractions, only long fatiguing contractions. Even when subjects did perform long isometric contractions, which induced some loss of force from the motor cortex, the supraspinal drive rebounded in less than an hour. However, during normal contractions, adding current to the supply nerve did not increase force. When traced down, the most likely area was failure somewhere in the contraction coupling. Some studies/authors mistake the phenomenon of “Muscle Wisdom” for the lower output seen during fatiguing contractions.

Ron

“Science and Practice” is a great book. Same for “Supertraining.”

I’ve only quickly read the Enoka text, since I got it from the library. I might have to get it again and give it another go.

The Hartmann and Tunnemann text “Fitness and Strength Training for All Sports” as a great book, especially for learning the basics.

I’d have to add the Inno-Sport gang’s “The Sports Book” to this list. Just keep reading it over and over until you start to get a hang of their methods. Ths time invested will pay off, trust me. This is one of the few books I’ve read that I was able to immediately apply to my training, and the results have been very rewarding.

You’re a better man than I am. I had to read and re-read all the way through that book. At least I made it through. Apparently, it’s very popular as a paperweight for many of my colleagues. Sometimes, reading a book thoroughly and discussing it with friends becomes “Legendary Conquests of Women”: many people make big claims about their progress but few can “perform”.

Nah, I just suffered with other stuff first, so I was all primed and ready for this book :slight_smile:
After a year of pubmed, jounal of physiology, every article on 'The Weightrainer" website, any other science article I could find, THEN, Physiology of Sport and Exercise, THEN Neural Mechanics, … then finally Supertraining. Mel writes much more explanitory than some of those guys so it didn’t seem so bad.

At least I made it through. Apparently, it’s very popular as a paperweight for many of my colleagues. Sometimes, reading a book thoroughly and discussing it with friends becomes “Legendary Conquests of Women”: many people make big claims about their progress but few can “perform”.

HA, good one. I hear ya, I get very disappointed when I really dig in and read something and others who have supposidly read it also, cannot discuss it. That’s my favorite thing is to learn, pass it on and see how my thoughts jive with others. :slight_smile:

Ron

I just wanted to post a final conclusion on this thread. I finished Supertraining, I must edit my comment of “Happy Reader Here” though. The first chapter was really good in the book, the rest however… :frowning:

I guess for people looking for speed/strength and/or those involved in athletic type training, this book would be more valuable. As for strength training in specific and solid info. on the neuro-muscular system…, it’s very sadly lacking. I’m glad I read it though, I have been curious for years about the book, so that part is good. I don’t think I could have rested until I knew for myself.

For any looking for good info. on the neuro-muscular system, Enoka’s text gives solid supported info. rather than just inconclusive talk about differing possiblities.

Take care all, :slight_smile:
Ron

Ron, I am curious as to what you were hoping for, in regards to your following statement:

Ron s, Supertraining is definately more of a reference than a “how to” book. However, go back and read chapters from time to time after having exposed yourself to other complex material and you will pull out “nuggets” of good information that you can apply to your training. The material makes a lot more sense for those fortunate few who were able to attend one of Mel’s Supertraining camps at his home in Denver as someone mentioned in previous posts. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Mel at his home during some travels through Colorado and I must say I learned a ton! His other popular book, Facts and Fallacies of Fitness is a bit more tame and easier to grasp than Supertraining and serves as a good starting point for those interested in studying his ideas. I think the other texts mentioned are awesome as well and must add in Dreschler’s Encyclopedia of Weightlifting or whatever it’s called. For those interested in the rehab/soft-tissue side of things I’ve got quite a list of recommendations for those who are interested.

Ron, I am curious as to what you were hoping for, in regards to your following statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
As for strength training in specific and solid info. on the neuro-muscular system…, it’s very sadly lacking.
Ron

I was hoping for research backed and referenced conclusions on the neural muscular system concerning strength and hypertrophy. Then possibly some comparitive suggestions on training with reguards to the effects of different methods on hypertrophy and strength.

My only thing, and in no way is this against Mel, as he was so very nice, and extremely intelligent, was that I didn’t see much material ‘to reference’. There was alot on speed skills and athletics but most of the hypertrophy and strength training info. was more of a ‘talk on how this might or might not work and this or that seems to work…’. I guess Enoka’s book spoiled me as it was pure referenced data on how thing work, step by step with study after study supporting each step.

I’m still glad I got to see what Supertraining was like though :slight_smile:

Ron

I agree. I didn’t read Supertraining to learn how to “super-train” but I was disappointed as well for similar reasons.

I had posted this info in another thread-

Personal favorites of mine are by Roger Enoka-

There are three editions-

Neuromechanical Basis of Kinesiology
1st Edition 1988

Neuromechanical Basis of Kinesiology
2nd Edition 1994

Neuromechanics of Human Movement
3rd edition 2002

There are modifications in each of the text and portions on the nervous system in the first edition were not in later editions. The texts are very readable and applicable- a blend of physiology and kinematics.

The texts are full of real sports examples and extremely well referenced.

If you have the time a search on Pub Med with RM Enoka will give you a look at the extensive research he has been involved with.