books "NOT" to read...

bump, bump

What the hell does that mean?

Where the hell have you been?

I think you misunderstood what he was tryin to say Ku2u… He never said plyos are going to slow you down.

Where the hell have I been, I’ve been working in this field, actually working, i.e. college D I, sports performance facility, pro baseball, pro football, etc. Yes I’ve actually worked in all these jobs which doesn’t give me all day to sit here and rip on other people.

What have you done professionally?

alright sorry for the stupidity of me, kaczmarski i was joking that you didnt know what “bump” was

will someone tell him what bump means please.

back on topic, but why do yall not like this “run faster with isometric training” book, to me it looks like a scam, and if it really worked then why dont more and more people use it?

oh ya, and i didnt say that kaczmarski says that, the link that i put on the other post says that plyos will slow you down

will someone tell him what bump means please.

Why don’t you tell me?!

it means write a post quick, i guess…

since you are a professional, have you ever used this program? or know anyone who has

Listen, don’t get me wrong, I’m not Mel Siff, nor am I “some professional.”
What I was getting at was that I actually work all day. I don’t have time to sit on a computer and know all the lingo. When I get a chance, I like to learn, read and some times put in my two cents.
I don’t care to know the internet lingo, I just like training, that’s why I’m here.

As for this book, I have never heard of it, I just don’t like it when people rip on things without explaining why they don’t like them fully, specifically.
Isometric training in general can be very useful, especially for strength and stability gains. This is a foundation for further speed improvements. The more stable you are, the more potential you have to be explosive. The primary role of the “core” is to prevent movement of the spine, to stabilize, and to transfer or allow transfer of force from the lower limbs to the upper body. Isometric training in this area is very useful.
Also, if an athlete has weak ankles or plantar flexors and his heals hit the ground ever time he sprints, he is greatly loosing power through his posterior chain. Isometric exercises can be very useful in strengthening the ankles and plantar flexors.
These are just a few examples where Isometric training can be useful. Again I haven’t even heard of the book you are referring to, but simply hating on it without specific examples is not fair to the author.

Guys,
There is no “bad” or “good”, “black” or “white”, “dangerous” or “safe” in training! There is a continuum… And the thing you should find is the point/zone in that continuum that is OPTIMAL for particular individual for specific goals in specific time!
I would not exclude anything (there are pretty stupid stuff out-there, but you can learn from them too), but rather include everything in my “coach toolbox” to use it when it counts!

My point (or some of it) exactly.

Hi Kacz,

I agree with your post above on isometrics. I would love to add couple of more benefits/usage of it:

1. Working around the zone of “sticking point” with isometrics can allow you to lift more weight
  2. In explosive movements, for example basketball jump is usually done from defencive stance (wide half squat), so it is purposeful to use, for example, isometrical hold in bottom position of a squat for couple of secs and then explote upward!
  3. Explosive Isometrics can allow you to create greater explosive strength in begining of unloaded movements like punches.
  4. During a SSC (stretch shortening cycle) and plyometrics, there is a period of time and joint angle at which muscle is contracted isometrically, so this angle can be worked with isom methods, thus resulting in faster transition between ecc and conc contraction.
  5. In rehab, when the ROM exercises are contraidicated - in the early begginig of rehab: infalamation phase and proliferation phase.

I agree with your uses