Book review

Running (Biomechanics and Exercise Physiology Applied in Practice) by Frans Bosch and Ronald Klomp (ISBN 0-443-07441-0) is an excellent book. The book is an excellent source of information that will help to explain the science behind Charlie’s training. An explanation and description of the prime movers in sprinting/running is given. The book gives validity to charlie’s observations that the erector spinae and hamstrings are a major source of power for sprinters in top speed. We all understand the importance of plyometrics but can we truelly ID the exercises that are reactive? Well the authors give a simple description. Basically any plyo exercises that involve an upright posture with very small knee and hip bending and the ankle in a neutral position will guarantee high force development and lower contact time. Plyo exercises involving large movement about the knee and hips are less reactive and are probably more explosive strength than reactive.

If you are still not convinced that ham curls are not useful and EVEN detrimental in making the hamstring function PASSIVELY then read this book. This is cutting edge people, its shocking how much CF was ahead of his time. BUY this book for its biomechanics information its very accessible and readable.

The book is an excellent supplement to CF’s system.

After searching around at various library catalogs this text does not seem to be readily available in US libraries.

http://www.rittenhouse.com//product/product.asp?sku=0443074410&mscssid=1W90QV8JBAXT9PT03C5R382CWKDXB5R4

Bosch : Running

Quantity on Hand: 0
Author: Bosch, Frans
Category: Athletic Training
Edition: 1
Brandon/Hill Designation:
Sub Title: Biomechanics and Exercise Physiology in Practice
Series Name:
Page Count: 424
LC Number:
NLM:

Not Yet Published due:01/05

This richly illustrated work presents innovative training concepts based on recent scientific research and extensive knowledge of the real-world training. It provides running trainers, physiotherapists and physical exercise teachers with the latest insights into the training runners. The methods presented here are based on biomechanical principles. Scientific material is translated into practical techniques in the discussion of topics such as running technique, energy supply processes and adaptation through training.

01/05 Running
Churchill Livingstone
Paperback
0-443-07441-0
$49.95

https://bookshop.blackwell.com

45.95 U.S I believe.

Has anyone read the Training for Speed Agility and quickness book by Brown /Ferrigno/Santana? Any thoughts?

I know that many people here dont like the SAQ stuff but Im always interested in reading material…

Don’t waste your time. One of my athletes tried to bring that stupid book in to me, it’s just a bunch of stupid drills and about 6 pages on Speed, Agility, & Quickness and I had him burn it and then put the fire out by peeing on it!!

Nice touch I am sure that athlete wil come to you again with information that the next time around maybe valuable. Probably did a world of good for his/her confidence.

Nice touch I am sure that athlete will come to you again with information that the next time around maybe valuable. Probably did a world of good for his/her confidence.

Nice touch I am sure that athlete will come to you again with information that the next time around maybe valuable. Probably did a world of good for his/her confidence.

amazon.com now has this book.

Tell me what you think of this book,

Strength Training for Sport
by William, Ph.D. Kraemer, Keijo Hakkinen (Paperback - January 15, 2002)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0632055685/ref=sib_rdr_ex/103-7848752-1922234?_encoding=UTF8&p=S00C#reader-page

This book is now available in Canada for 75Cdn dollars including free shipping and GST at www.amazon.ca keyword Frans Bosch. The title will just say running but when you compare the ISBN’s you’ll see that its the same book.

WOW, you can say that again! This book is the best book ever written on Sprinting Biomechanics and overall (including strength programs) as well! I might have to rate this book above CF’s materials! I said might so people don’t start stoning me just yet!

Famous quote, “BEST SPRINTING BOOK EVER!”

It blows Yessis’s “Explosive Running” out of the water!

Thank You so much Martn for pointing this “Jewel” out to me! I will be forever grateful!

Someone clearly has no sense of humor. And no grammar skills… Dude.

Hint: It’s may be, not maybe.