Bolt's secret: 400 background training

What are the thoughts on this from the NBC post race interview:

NBC: “You’ve only competed in the 100 for less than a year. How did you pull this off?”

Bolt: “Uh, 400 background training I would say.”

This is not unlike what Gay said before when asked the key to his PRs. I think he termed it “quarters” though :slight_smile:

Edit: Damn tamfb beat me to it. Maybe I should title re-this thread “we know nothing about Jamaican training”

He had the worlds fastest 200m turn as we discussed way before his world records. I always thought he must be able to run something decent in the 100m. I think me and Chris were the ones that pointed this out way before he even began competing in the 100m. And to be honest it was a lucky guess. I’m not so sure what his 400m background has to do with it. But thats what bolt said. So can anyone elaborate on this theory.

Whatever makes him feel good, but I dont see how 400m training can affect/improve 100m times

Now every coach who watched that on NBC is going to start having their 100m kids run more 400 training in practice. Like I posted about in another thread: Bud Winter training

I feel sorry for those poor kids, i can picture what those workouts will look like 5x400 resting 2mins.

maybe powell need more 400’s… :wink:

It’s kind of like maurice greene telling everyone to be fast all you have to do is 10x100 meters all out. Come on Maurice are you serious.

I dunno what he needs. I say just give him a red bull before the race.

He probably had one before the semi’s and crashed.

I think what bolt meant was during his early career he did more 400 based workouts/over distance but this year he did more shorter sprints which I think took him to the next level.

lol From what Usain said in that interview, he did 100 so he can stay away from 400 training. lol Who wouldn’t? 400 training hurts like a bitch!!

Bolt is human after all lol.

He’s pure white fibre! It is classic put the tall kid in the quarter. Lucky they didn’t do that forever or they would have missed the greatest 100m man of all time!

or at some point, gotten the fastest 400m of all time…

Still time for that.

I just hope all the talk of Bolt in the 200 and the record, lets just get him to the final safely and not have him pull a tyson gay trip and fall after running a 9.6. Best to think one step at a time.

[QUOTE=dr.sprint]He had the worlds fastest 200m turn as we discussed way before his world records. QUOTE]

I don’t ever remember Bolt being faster than or even beating Tyson on the curve before this year.

watch the world championship 200m against gay.

Bolt’s secret: genetics

100% agree :slight_smile: