Bolt's 9.58 in Slow Motion

Well, once the upright position is assumed the higher the heel recovery the shorter the lever and theoretically the shorter the recovery/swing phase in general. Assuming power output and mobility is in place, stride length is covered and the faster recovery cycle coincides with frequency.

I’m not sure that I would cue such a thing; however, one thing I first noticed about Powell’s, in particular, upright running was his seemingly minimal backside leg mechanics- high heel recovery and beautiful stepping down action.

My background is more in the mechanical/construction side, building power stations etc. I also spent a lot of freetime reading books and watching anything I could associated with human movement.

I cannot gasp the concept that past the point of equilibrium with the knee that a higher heel raise will be faster or more efficient given the extra time/energy required for the extra movement. If Usain was mechanical I would say he is efficent primilarily because he seems to have a more efficient exhaust/recovery cycle.

The problem is quantitatively/qualitatively determing what you’re describing as equilibrium from one sprinter to the next.

Lever lengths, tissue attachment points, and power outputs would all effect the degree of knee bend during recovery from one sprinter to the next.

Interesting to discuss, however.

It obviously makes sense to only address mechanical issues with sprinters that are clearly inhibiting their full potential from being realized.

Thanks!

The sprinters lean…more from Bud Winter.

I notice on film they all really focus on “hammering” down. Watching any vid of Bolt and Asafa warm up you can see them doing this very hard even in their warm up strides.

Personally, Blake has great top speed running form. That dude is gonna be bad.