Bolt to line up with Powell & Gay

Bolt (centre) will compete against Powell (left) and the returning Gay
Olympic 100m champion and world record holder Usain Bolt will compete against Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay at the Van Damme Memorial in Belgium on Friday.

Powell ran the second-quickest 100m time ever on Tuesday and between them, the three men have the 10 fastest times ever run at the distance.

“This has never happened before,” said Brussels meet organizer Wilfried Meert.

“It’s my last race of the season and I’m going out there to compete at my best,” said Jamaican Bolt.

Bolt, who won the 100m in 9.69 seconds in Beijing, the 200m in a world record 19.30 seconds and the 4x100m relay also, added: “Now there will be more pressure for me, but I will do my best.”

FASTEST 100m TIMES EVER
9.69: Usain Bolt
9.72: Asafa Powell, Usain Bolt
9.74: Asafa Powell
9.76: Usain Bolt
9.77: Asafa Powell x3, Tyson Gay
9.78: Asafa Powell
American Gay, who failed to make the 100m final in Beijing because of a troublesome hamstring injury, does not believe he is quite ready to beat Bolt and Powell.

“I don’t think I am as sharp right now, considering my leg, to be very, very, competitive with those guys,” he said.

Bolt and Powell could both chase the world record, which Bolt set in the Olympic final despite slowing down to celebrate his victory before the end of the race.

But the weather could limit their chances, with Friday downpours expected along with cool temperatures.

“It will all depend on the weather and it doesn’t look too good,” said Meert. “It will be very difficult for the athletes that come out of the heat of Beijing.”