Bolt 9.58!!!!

Wow, Mo Green looks a little older now… Uaa, I don’t want to get old.

I think he looks the same with a bit more fat.

could be due to breathing patterns- more force on exhalation and less on inspiration.

Possibly, but why would that reduce in air decelleration?

I couldn’t tell if you were being sarcastic, but wouldn’t that split put him on the same pace as Beijing. I mean when you account for wind and the shut down of course. (I know, I know)

But just for the fun of it, this 9.58 is about 9.62 with no wind. Based off what i’ve seen from the splits Bolt looked to be on his way to a 9.63 last year in Beijing. This 6.31 combined with the fact that he didn’t shut down, and had an aiding wind does seem to add up. Or am I missing something.

Split time under, as in, faster than 6.31. Since he ran a slower 60 in Beijing (while having a much faster 30), I think it shows that he did have to have significant improvements, no just in finishing the race, but in top speed as well.

Not really biomechanical but the higher the feet are placed the more weight transferred to the hands. Do what that JB said and you must stay down for longer.

PS I never heard of JB until a week or so ago.

But then again

Does anyone know the temperature during the World Record 100m run by Bolt in Berlin?

Temperature 26° Humidity 39%

Not sure I understand -is this supposed to be a good thing?

I’ve been out of the loop. I’m just now catching up on this. It feels like we’re in sci fi territory now.

Try it. Don’t lock your elbows, on the gun punch up with the elbow on the same side as the rear leg. You will rotate the hips like Bolt did or fall on your face.

If you want test results track down John Prior, he used to do testing in Sydney at Narrabeen for the institute, I believe he went back to England.

Alternatively if you have the strength you can do the bullet start Charlie had Ben doing.

Science fiction, maybe.

sady

You should not lock your elbows anyway. I doubt more weight transferred to the hands will do any good. Your turn by all means! :slight_smile:

I’m wondering if the higher foot placement allows athletes to get a better stretch reflex out of the achilles. when the new, higher tailed,blocks came out many coaches and athletes complained that it did not allow the competitors to get this, thus reducing block power. This could be an attempt to mitigate the effect of the higher back of the block.

For examples of complaints see the comments made by Ato in his blog Re JD, and Telez’s interview on the Canadian coaching site.

Of course, this can be a good reason behind it! I take it from that your toes don’t have to touch the track. So, I am wondering why a couple of officials I’ve seen correct sprinters on the blocks -was that the reason? I don’t know… But then again you have John Smith suggesting the heel touch the pad on the HSI series, otherwise ‘it’s like walking on your toes all the time’. :slight_smile:

Related, but not exactly. JS seemed to be predominantly concerned with the fact that you cannot be stable in the blocks for that reason. Telez and Ato actually suggested that there is also a mechanical effect. However the final outcome is the same. In the case of the new blocks it may be possible to get the stability, but not the stretch reflex if there is one.

I’ve always hated those straight faced long pads that limit the stretch reflex in the achilles. This would be one way to get around that problem as well as slightly changing the angle to get you out lower without the need to load up your hands. I was originally bound by the old rule that your feet had to touch the ground till close to the end of my coaching days but it makes sense to use this if you are strong enough. If you are a beginner or not a strong starter even at a high level- like Allyson Felix, it might be better to stick with a traditional start.

Why should you not lock your elbows :confused:

In some cases, locking the elbow makes it more difficult to pick the hand up off the track for your first movement (i.e. the hand flick up off the track should initiate movement at the start). For someone who is less strong (i.e. able to hold position), locking the elbow may steady the athlete. Again, it is an individual thing.

I agree with this analysis.