BOLT 19.75 JA record (goodbye DQ)

KINGSTON, Jamaica, June 24 - Olympic champion Veronica Campbell won the 200m at the Jamaican athletics championships in a season-best 22.39 seconds today.
The result followed her world-leading 10.89 in the 100.
I am happy with the end result, because I came up against very good competitors,'' said Campbell, who trailed Kerron Stewart into the final 30 metres. In the men's race, Usain Bolt's 19.75 seconds broke the 36-year-old Jamaican record of 19.86 held by 1976 Olympic champ Donald Quarrie. I promised Donald Quarrie that I would break the record and I am very happy I did it,’’ Bolt said.
AP

Monday 25 June 2007

Kingston, Jamaica - World Junior record holder Usain Bolt has signalled his intention to challenge American Tyson Gay and others for the World 200m title in Osaka this summer with an impressive 19.75 run at the Jamaican National Championships on Sunday (24).

Bolt’s run makes him the 9th equal fastest runner of all-time which ties him with USA’s Carl Lewis (1983) and Joe DeLoach (1988).

National record

Usain Bolt (JAM)
(Errol Anderson - The Sporting Image)

The 19.75 time is also a Jamaican record, beating the previous best of 19.86 held by 1976 Olympic Games 200m gold medallist Donald Quarrie since 1971.

The 20-year-old Bolt, who won his semi-final heat in 20.50, had promised the Jamaican record with good weather in the final, and held up to that pledge in a near perfect 0.2m/s wind.

He also said, watching Gay’s blistering 19.63 seconds win at the USA Championships, the second fastest time in history, motivated him to run fast.

Veronica Campbell (JAM)
(Kirby Lee/Image of Sport)

“I saw the race (on TV), and he was very impressive and that helped motivated me to run fast,” said Bolt, who defeated Chris Williams (20.24) and Clement Campbell (20.29).

Bolt also promised “I am getting there, I am still working hard towards that (beating Gay),” he added.

“It’s a great feeling to break the record. I told Donald Quarrie the last time I saw him in Lausanne that I was going to break the record this season,” added the excited Bolt.

Bolt, who set the World junior record of 19.93 at the Carifta Games in 2004, said hard work this season was what paid off for him. “I guess the hard work pays off, because I have been working hard all season,” he added.

“Not surprised”

Quarrie, who went to congratulate Bolt on a very good run, said “I was not surprised” he broke the record.

“He ran very, very well, he ran relaxed, I think what helped a lot he was confident, know one in the race could beat him,” added Quarrie.

“What I am hoping is for him to take the same mentality with a relax attitude when he run against a guy like Tyson Gay,” said Quarrie.

Campbell completes sprint double

Meanwhile, Olympic 200m champion Veronica Campbell completed the women’s sprint double by taking the 200m in a season best of 22.39. Kerron Stewart, the NCAA champion, took second in 22.51 and Sheri-Ann Brooks third in 22.78.

Campbell, who had won the 100m on Saturday in a world leading 10.89, expressed satisfaction. “It was a good race, good competition and I am happy with the result.”

Williams and Sinclair also provide top-class action

In the women’s 400m, Novlene Williams ran a season best 50.06 to beat Shericka Williams (51.02) and Shereefa Lloyd (51.02), while Sanjay Ayre secured the men’s title in 45.07, ahead of Michael Blackwood (45.16) and Ricardo Chambers (45.34).

Kenia Sinclair won the women’s 800m in 1:59.11.

In the sprint hurdles, Maurice Wignall took the men’s 110m event in 13.67, while Delloreen Ennis-London took the women’s 100m Hurdles event in 12.62 ahead of Vonette Dixon 12.80.

Junior results…

On the junior side, Samantha Henry completed the Under-20 sprint double by winning the 200m in 22.94 seconds ahead of Schillonie Calvert (23.42). She had earlier won the 100m in a personal best 11.21 seconds.

Ramone McKenzie was also impressive in taking the boys’ Under-20 200m in 20.63 seconds ahead of Triston Taylor (21.39).

In the boys’ Under-18 200m, Nickel Ashmeade of St. Jago turned the table on 100m winner Dexter Lee of Herbert Morrison. Ashmeade, who finished second in the 100m in 10.39, took the 200m in 20.82 seconds ahead of Lee (21.26).

In the Under-18 girls’ 200m, Yanique Ellington of Holmwood won in 24.51 ahead of Leslie-Ann Mitchell of Manchester High (24.66).

Anthony Foster for the IAAF