bodybuilding training for hamstrings more effective than max strength speed

Ya I found it really interesting and thought it might help explain the outcome of the aforementioned study.

Hmm I have read articles by Siff and Soviet coaches dead against hypertophy training…they were very sceptical about its benefits. What they did acknowledge was hypertrophy that occured from the performance of a sporting action rather than deliberate training to achieve hypertophy. They differentiate between sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertophy.

Can someone explain why the anaerobic glycolisis energy pathway contributes to stiffness? Thanks

Not sure on the exact mechanism, but I do know those with a more highly developed anaerobic glycolysis system display greater muscle stiffness.

If you want some more info, go here: http://www.iaaf.net/nsa/archive/index.html
and check these out

-“The Importance of Anaerobic Glycolysis and Stiffness in the Sprints (60, 100, and 200M)”
New Studies in Athletics, 1996 VOL 11:2/3 P121-125

-“The mechanics and energetics of 100m sprint”
New Studies in Athletics, 1995 VOL 10:1 P81-87

-“Physiological Analysis of Qualities Required in Sprinting”
New Studies in Athletics, 1996 VOL 11:2-3 P59-37

Also, maybe Martn76 can shine some light on this, as it was through his writings that I was made aware of this relationship and these texts.

Alright, thanks for the links.

Some more published studies in favor of hypertrophy methods for sprinting:

D’Antona G, et al,“Skeletal muscle hypertrophy and structure and function of skeletal muscle fibres in male body builders,” J. Physiol. 2006;570;611-627

Kenya Kumagai, Takashi Abe, William F. Brechue, Tomoo Ryushi, Susumu Takano, and Masuhiko Mizuno, “Sprint performance is related to muscle fascicle length in male 100-m sprinters,” J Appl Physiol 88: 811-816, 2000

The D’Antona paper compared the muscle structure of serious, experienced bodybuilders doing conventional hypertrophy training (multiple sets, 6-12 reps/set, < 2 min rest) with controls. The result was that the bodybuilders have faster stretch-shortening velocity and fiber conversion along the line of I->IIa -> IIx, whereas neural training (1-3 reps/set) has been shown to convert IIb -> IIx -> IIa <- I. The bodybuilders had higher IIx and lower I types than controls and the hypertrophy was more pronounced in IIx and IIax than in IIa fibers (i.e., the fiber transition was to be LESS oxidative than controls, which is the opposite direction from neural training).

The Japanese paper measured the fascile muscle length in the legs of sprinters with personal best times of 10.0-11.9 seconds for 100m. The faster sprinters had longer fascile muscle lengths (i.e. more sarcomeres stacked in series). Other research has shown that hypertrophy training on legs acts primarily in the mid-upper leg (i.e., by sarcomere hypertrophy) and leaves the lower leg largely unaffected by hypertrophy training.

BTW, the D’Antona paper is not available free. I can supply a copy by email (747 K bytes for the pdf) to anyone who wants it.

lkh, I’d like a copy of that study if you wouldn’t mind. nelsen_roger@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Also, I have the second study mentioned, but was not aware that BB training lead to selective hypertrophy of the mid/upper thigh. Do you have any research on this?

Thanks again.

This brings up many questions. Obviously we can’t throw out max strength training after reading some research, but it does demand an explanation. I know that Charlie has a max strength phase, but aside from the upper body does he even go higher than a 5-6 RM? If so, does this even quantify max strength training as defined by the study?

What I can make of it is this: Nothing can replace full speed work, nothing. Hypertrophy training(at least lower body) can be beneficial because it is less CNS intensive and larger muscles (within reason) provide more structure for more speed. Also the implication that hypertrophy training acts primarily on the upper thigh is promising, seeing as that a “top-heavy” (KellyB) lower body is to be desired.

martn did you ever figure out what the exercises and protocols were that they used in the study?

Do a search and see what Charlie has actually said (including a lot in the old Barry Ross thread). CF has stated that when Ben was developing (age 17-20 I think), he was doing accumulation at sets of 10 reps during GPP. CF has also mentioned that weights need to be cut to provide for speed endurance and specifically mentioned “2X6 and gone” during SPP: The powerlifters on here seem to not like this, but I found this year that it works very wel (surprise!).

What I can make of it is this: Nothing can replace full speed work, nothing. Hypertrophy training(at least lower body) can be beneficial because it is less CNS intensive and larger muscles (within reason) provide more structure for more speed. Also the implication that hypertrophy training acts primarily on the upper thigh is promising, seeing as that a “top-heavy” (KellyB) lower body is to be desired.

This is one of a number of papers showing selective hypertrophy of leg muscles in response to training:

Narici MV, Roi GS, Landoni L, Minetti AE, Cerretelli P, “Changes in force, cross-sectional area and neural activation during strength training and detraining of the human quadriceps,” Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1989;59(4):310-9

dude u cant take the 2x6 and apply it to all athletes bc some athletes may need a intesne 3-1-3 strength block. for a athlete who already have high levels of strength then the 2x6 make sense, remember why cf went to the 2x6 mid-late in bj career.

dude u cant take the 2x6 and apply it to all athletes bc some athletes may need a intesne 3-1-3 strength block. for a athlete who already have high levels of strength then the 2x6 make sense

What do you need high levels of weightroom strength for?

who said anything about high levels, im not talking about world class, but you cant be 175lb and squatting 200. point was bj could do 2x6 bc cf didnt feel like it was necessary to keep lifting heavy loads in training - safety etc.

I think according to Bondarchuk’s research the 1/2 squat has a negative correlation with sprint performance at elite levels (10.00-10.20). Don’t have the book in front of me…

exactly how many of us are elite?

Voluntary concentric strength is necessary for fast block clearance times and a good first 10M or so. The best way to gain voluntary concentric strength is in the weight room.

That’s the goal isn’t it? I’ll repost when I get the book in front of me.

Lots of guys have a great 10m. Lots of guys with a great 10m also get hammered from 50-100m.

yeh right but lets to get 10.0 before we start thinking about dropping sq intensity etc. point is if we have someone running 11.7 lets get them to 10.5 before we start we talking about during 2x6 and lower intensity etc.

And what’s your point?

The question, “What do you need high levels of weightroom strength for?” was posed and I provided an answer. Of course you need to be able to run the whole race quickly, but even a couple of hundredths here and there (ie. 0-10M) can make a big difference.