Bodybuilding Mag

In verchoshanschij manual, football player protocol ends up very similar to the rowing one…I wonder what the 2 sports could share…I never had enough time and or bravery to try that approach with football players.

Has Verkho ever worked with football or is it just a guess?

not directly, as far as I know, but had some connection for sure.

Is it true that the knee is locked at full extension by a slight rotation of the tibia, shin pain

I don’t believe he has worked with any directly, but has had communication with sport performance coaches for football in the U.S. After reading through Dr. V’s website and reading through his translated writings, Dr. V looks at the biomechanical movement of the sport along with the bioenergetics and based off of this, designs programs specific to both the movement and energy requirements. For most of the sports I’ve seen him write, both on his site and the Coaches Manual, the Back Squat, Calf Raises, and Jump Squats seem to be universal, because they are all hip extension movements which makes up most if not all movement in sport. The rep scheme, rest periods, and weight % used (from my understanding) are what is used to mimic the energy system requirements for that sport.

Any idea what the setsXreps look like for the calves raises?

Most of the sets/reps are 1-3x10(70%-90% 1RM of Squat) and then progress to 3-4x3-5(90% 1RM of Squat). Again, it’s based on the sport and the goal Dr. V is trying to accomplish. These are the schemes I’ve seen reading his material.