Bobsled

Looks solid, I see about 3 months of heavy accel work - make sure your top speed is in place before doing too much speed endurance work.

Another question regarding ol’s - would you guys drop them or go with pulls year round if the athlete didn’t have access to proper equipment. FYI - I hate going from the hang so that’s not an option.

I would drop them and possibly concentrate on sprints and bp only.

For a bobsleigh athlete?

Seems since you move heavy loads in that sport seems you need to keep some heavy load.

Do you mean doing clean pulls, mid-thigh pulls etc. instead of power cleans, etc.?

Yes - clean/snatch pulls from various positions.

Just as Pioneer has mentioned, I would highly recommend performing derivatives of Oly’s… meaning clean pulls, mid thighs, shrugs from bent knee (120 degrees) position. There is much evidence that one can increase abilities in full Oly lifts when performing a majority of various pulls during training year.

Would you use your typical clean loading or overload 100-120%?

I personally choose a load that is taken for that specific lift… not compare apples to oranges. Hope this helps.

Should be fun getting an est max for clean pull.

How does your weekly lifting looks like for your sprinters - are you squatting twice weekly and pulling once etc?

Yes during non comp. weeks and once each during weeks with a meet.

Great, can’t remember if you answered this or not - are your athletes performing two or three speed sessions weekly? I would assume three since you are lifting three.

In the system Dlive11 and I use, you don’t use a 1rm, only set-rep maxes. If one does not know how much weight to program initially but keeps the efforts truly sub-maximal they should be fine(have a positive training effect) and eventually with keep good records along the way it’s not difficult to hone in on the exact loads to use for future blocks.

Similar answer to the lifting. In non comp. weeks three times but in comp. weeks 2 x unless the meets are so squeezed together that you can’t really afford to even get in two days-depends on the situation.

What’s the key to having success with three speed days? Is it as simple as keeping the volume low?

It could be just that or it could be the way you manage all of the elements-sprints, weights, throws, jumps and to a lesser degree the low int. tools.

Also the kind of sprint distribution-for example if someone did speed change drills and fly-ins three times in a week for more than a week or two, I think they would be fried so having speed split up by spec. end or making the third speed day a speed endurance day (obvioulsly not early in the year) would also help to manage the fatigue levels.

I finally have the volume issues fixed, rarely going over 300meters per session. Weights in SPP will be simple Mon/Fri: Squat/Bench/Row, Wed: Cleans/Rdl/10mins of beach lifts. In GPP I’ll have two speed days and two tempo, SPP two speed days and one light sprint/bound contrast session on Wed - ex 2x40 follow by bounds follow by 2x40.

I always recommend adhering to CF’s principle of vertical integration. When some elements are ramped up, it becomes necessary (not just a good idea) to back down other tools-not eliminate necessarily just reduce the volumes and/or intensities.

Are you guys doing 1300-1800m tempo with the bobsledders? If so, how are they responding?