BOB MATHIAS obit

BOB MATHIAS WAS OLYMPIC DECATHLON CHAMPION AT 17 !!!
THEN SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDED.

I MET THIS GUY IN STOCKHOLM IN THE EARLY 90S. WHAT A LEGEND. A NICE GUY WITH IT. kk

By Elliott Almond
San Jose Mercury News
(MCT)

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Bob Mathias, a San Joaquin Valley decathlete whose exploits as an Olympian and Stanford football player reached mythological stature, died Saturday in Fresno after a lengthy battle with throat cancer. He was 75.

A two-time gold medalist, Mathias was one of the most heroic and beloved Olympians in history.

His victories in the 1948 Games in London and '52 Olympics in Helsinki, Finland, inspired a nation that once embraced the decathlon like baseball.

Mathias is the youngest man to win an Olympic gold medal in track and field; he was 17 when he finished first in London.

In Helsinki, he became the first decathlete to defend an Olympic title.

A few months before, Mathias had led Stanford to the Rose Bowl by returning a kickoff 96 yards to help defeat USC and win the Pacific Coast Conference title. He sidestepped the Trojans’ Frank Gifford near the end zone on the play.

But even more than his athletic achievements, Mathias was the consummate Olympic ambassador.

``I can’t fathom anybody who competed with him who didn’t love him,’’ said Rafer Johnson, the 1960 Olympic decathlon gold medalist who grew up near Mathias in Kingsburg.

Mathias also enjoyed success beyond the sporting arena. In 1954, he played the title role in a movie about his life, ‘The Bob Mathias Story.’’

His wife, Melba, also played herself. Mathias acted in other films then moved into politics where he served four terms in the U.S. House of Representatives in the 1960s and '70s.

``The hardest thing about being a politician was learning to say no,’’ he once told the Los Angeles Times.

``Probably the toughest part for me was getting used to going from sports, where everyone likes you and you don’t make an enemy, to politics, where if 51 percent of the people like you, you can stay in office. In that world, people stomp on you and say bad things about you.’’

After leaving Washington, Mathias returned to the friendly confines of sports by becoming director of the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Johnson recalled the time in 1959 when he and his brother got into a car accident while driving to Kingsburg for their sister’s high school graduation. After hearing about the accident, Mathias called Johnson to make sure he was OK. Such a simple gesture, but it spoke volumes to Johnson, who also won the silver medal at the 1956 Games.

He was a real gentleman,'' Johnson said. He was just a rare breed.’’

How Mathias became an Olympic champion was a Hollywood-tale-in-waiting.

He suffered from anemia as a child and needed special diets and iron pills. Despite being chronically tired, Mathias played football and basketball and competed in track at Tulare High.

By his sophomore year, his condition faded and his strength increased, helped by summers of lifting 100-pound bags of sulfur into crop-dusters.

Not even his coach, however, guessed he could qualify for the London Games.

Two months before the Olympics, the Tulare teenager had never competed in a decathlon - Mathias hadn’t even competed in six of the 10 events. Four months before his historic victory, Mathias hadn’t seen a javelin.

In London, he was surprised when called for a foul after leaving the ring in the shot put.

Mathias didn’t know the rules, according to Olympic historian David Wallechinsky.

Former columnist Jim Murray once wrote of Mathias in the Los Angeles Times: ``He gripped the spear like a guy killing a chicken. He went over the vault like a guy falling out of a moving car and his high jump looked like a guy leaving a banana peel. All he did was win.’’

Rain delayed the second day of competition in London, turning it into a 12-hour marathon.

Famed Wembly Stadium didn’t have infield lights, so officials used car headlights to illuminate the field for the javelin. It didn’t faze Mathias who scored a tight victory.

In Helsinki, Mathias led an American sweep as Milton Campbell won the silver and Floyd Simmons the bronze.

His Olympic feats were so great, Mathias’ achievements in football were almost overlooked - except for Stanford aficionados.

Mathias sprained his ankle a week before the 1952 Rose Bowl, which Stanford lost 40-7 to Illinois.

``I was really looking forward to having a great game,’’ he once said. But his ankle was so swollen trainers injected it with painkillers that left him groggy.

``Bob Mathias was the real champion,’’ said Sammy Lee, who won diving gold medals in '48 and '52. ‘’

In 1956, President Eisenhower sent Mathias and Lee on a goodwill tour to Southeast Asia.

While in Kuala Lumpur, Lee relaxed in an air-conditioned hotel room after a diving exhibition.

Mathias came in from the sweltering heat asking, ``What are you doing here?’’

Lee, now 86, said he was done for the day.

Said Mathias: ``I just finished five events and now I have to race every Tom, Dick and Harry in the next five events.’’

He left with a smile. Mathias never could say no to someone in need.

During a stop in Taiwan, he met C.K. Yang, who was starting to learn about the decathlon.

After a three-day demonstration, Mathias gave Yang one of his wooden javelins. The Taiwanese athlete practiced with it for a year.
When it broke, he cried.

``It was like I lost somebody,’’ Yang said.

[WE LOST A MAN IN BOB MATHIAS, kk]

INTERNATIUONAL HERALD-TRIBUNE Reports:

Bob Mathias, 2-time Olympic gold medalist and former congressman, dies at 75
The Associated Press

Published: September 2, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO Bob Mathias, a two-time Olympic champion in the decathlon and former U.S. congressman, died on Saturday. He was 75.

The U.S. Olympic Committee said in a statement that Mathias died in his home. His brother said the cause was cancer.

Mathias became the youngest Olympic gold medalist in athletics in 1948 in London, when he won the decathlon at 17. It was only his third decathlon, having qualified for the Olympics by winning two events in the United States.

At the 1952 Helsinki Games, he became the first athlete to repeat as Olympic champion in the decathlon. Though the Washington Redskins drafted him to play in the American football league, he never signed. Mathias also won the 1948 Sullivan Award as America’s top amateur athlete.

“He just had a lot of natural ability in everything he did,” Eugene Mathias said.

Eugene Mathias said his brother was a gifted athlete from childhood, often outperforming older children.

“I tried jumping the high jump and I couldn’t make it. He was three years younger and he said ‘let me try it.’ He did it and he made it,” Eugene Mathias recalled. “We knew then that he could just do anything athletic.”

After retiring from sports, Mathias served as a congressman representing California from 1967-74, serving four terms. After his political career, Mathias became the first director of the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

He also is a member of the U.S. Olympic and national track and field halls of fame.

“Bob Mathias was one of those rare individuals with the ability to inspire a nation through his determination and perseverance. He was a champion in every aspect of life, and he embraced the values that make our country and the worldwide Olympic movement special,” USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth said in a statement.

Eugene Mathias said his brother never boasted of his Olympic accomplishments and was happy to return to his home in California’s Central Valley after his Olympic days ended.

“He liked the Valley here. He liked his hometown,” he said.

Mathias is survived by his wife, Gwen, and several children.

SAN FRANCISCO Bob Mathias, a two-time Olympic champion in the decathlon and former U.S. congressman, died on Saturday. He was 75.

The U.S. Olympic Committee said in a statement that Mathias died in his home. His brother said the cause was cancer.

Mathias became the youngest Olympic gold medalist in athletics in 1948 in London, when he won the decathlon at 17. It was only his third decathlon, having qualified for the Olympics by winning two events in the United States.

At the 1952 Helsinki Games, he became the first athlete to repeat as Olympic champion in the decathlon. Though the Washington Redskins drafted him to play in the American football league, he never signed. Mathias also won the 1948 Sullivan Award as America’s top amateur athlete.

“He just had a lot of natural ability in everything he did,” Eugene Mathias said.

Eugene Mathias said his brother was a gifted athlete from childhood, often outperforming older children.

“I tried jumping the high jump and I couldn’t make it. He was three years younger and he said ‘let me try it.’ He did it and he made it,” Eugene Mathias recalled. “We knew then that he could just do anything athletic.”

After retiring from sports, Mathias served as a congressman representing California from 1967-74, serving four terms. After his political career, Mathias became the first director of the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

He also is a member of the U.S. Olympic and national track and field halls of fame.

“Bob Mathias was one of those rare individuals with the ability to inspire a nation through his determination and perseverance. He was a champion in every aspect of life, and he embraced the values that make our country and the worldwide Olympic movement special,” USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth said in a statement.

Eugene Mathias said his brother never boasted of his Olympic accomplishments and was happy to return to his home in California’s Central Valley after his Olympic days ended.

Bob Mathias; Congressman, Twice Olympic Champion

By Martin Weil
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 3, 2006; Page C07

Bob Mathias, 75, who won the decathlon in the Olympic Games as a teenager and then went on to win it a second time and to represent a California district in Congress, died Sept. 2 at his home in Fresno. A family friend said he died of cancer.

Rep. Mathias served four terms in the House of Representatives as a Republican, from 1967 to 1974.

Bob Mathias goes up and over the bar during a pole vault session in Helsinki in 1952, four years after he won the Olympic decathlon title. (Associated Press)

Latest From the Wires
Former Olympic Champion Mathias Dies
U.S. Defeats Argentina to Salvage Bronze
Beijing progress good, time remaining crucial: Rogge
News & Notes: Undefeated U.S. Blanks China in Softball
Greece Shocks U.S. in Semifinals
More News

Who’s Blogging?
Read what bloggers are saying about this article.
Research 2000

Full List of Blogs (1 links) »

Most Blogged About Articles
On washingtonpost.com | On the web

Save & Share
Tag This Article

Saving options

1. Save to description:
    Headline (required)
    Byline

2. Save to notes (255 character max):
    Blurb

3. Tag This Article

He was a high school student in Tulare, in California’s steamy, sun-baked Central Valley, in 1948 when he began training to compete in that year’s Olympics.

The '48 Games were to be held in London and would mark the resumption – after 12 years – of the world’s premier international athletic competition, which had been suspended during World War II.

If the Olympics were regarded as the supreme test of the amateur athlete, the decathlon was considered the greatest challenge offered in the Games. It was argued that the winner of the Olympic decathlon, with its 10 track-and-field events, was the world’s greatest athlete.

The competition required of Rep. Mathias skills in several events with which he was barely familiar, including the pole vault, long jump and javelin throw.

As the youngest member of the 1948 Olympic team, he was said at the time to be the youngest ever to represent the United States.

When Rep. Mathias, as a 17-year-old, struggled across the finish line of the final event, the 1,500-meter run, to win the gold medal, he became a national hero, honored for a demonstration of surpassing strength, versatility and endurance.

It was reported that when asked about how he would celebrate, he replied: “I’ll start shaving, I guess.”

His feat was described as all the more unusual because he had anemia as a small child.

Robert B. Mathias, whose physician father had played tackle for the University of Oklahoma, went on to carry the football for Stanford University as a fullback and to play in the Rose Bowl in 1952. Later that year, he again won the Olympic decathlon, this time in Helsinki.

After Stanford he served as a Marine officer, appeared in the movie “The Bob Mathias Story” and operated a camp for boys.

Bob Jennings, a family friend, said Rep. Mathias was drafted to play football for the Washington Redskins but never joined the team.

In Congress, he was called “a four-square conservative” by the Almanac of American Politics. He won his seat in 1966, when Ronald Reagan was elected California governor, and he was defeated in 1974, the Watergate year in which Republicans were swept from Capitol Hill.

He later directed the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Survivors include his wife, Gwen; four daughters; a son; and 10 grandchildren.

the impact Mathias had on 2 of the great decathletes from the late 50’s & early 60’s in Rafer Johnson & Taiwan’s CK Yang i’m sure cannot be measured.

both speak of him very highly in fact i am looking forward to having lunch with Johnson , Yang & their former mentor at UCLA later this month.