blocks for 200m...

on the weekend I noticed that the runner before me (lane 7) set his blocks towards the right side of the lane and angled in slightly. I assume this was so he would start with his body directed into the turn.

is this a common block setting for the 200m and would the lane number influence the ideal setting? would a lane 1 block setting be more like a standard 100m??

every block start on a curve should be angled toward the inside of the lane. the ideal angle is one that intersects a point about 5 or 6 strides in front of the start line. it is done to facilitate the striaght line start for the first couple steps rather than acceleration of the first few steps around a curve.

should the blocks also be set further towards the right hand side of the lane??

yes, and also angled in

200 metre race, blocks in essence, could be thown away…

think about it… ist the last 50…not the first 50

ciao

There are a number of styles/strategies, ranging from Charlie’s way (accelerate to 30 and maintain) to Allyson’s way (sit on everybody for as long as possible, then wipe them out), but in every case (except Bolt, maybe) there is a method of conserving energy. And running out of blocks is more efficient, and running close to the line is also more efficient. But if you actually step on the line, you get DQed, so the blocks are put outside of center and angled in.

How much the blocks are angled in depends on how hard you start the race. The faster you start, the more your momentum will carry you outward from the line, so the more the block will be angled in to obtain the fastest time. Charlie’s way would likely involve a more angled block than Allyson would use.