Black Book vs. Modern Strength & Power Methods

What is the difference between these two books? I have read the reviews of the former on T-nation, but I do not know anything about the latter.

I posted some reviews somwewhere else but can’t find them, if I do I will post here but in essence Black Book is a very good solid general book that has a lot of routines and information whereas Modern Strengths is more advanced, both are good but different :smiley:

John,

Thanks. I'd appreciate it if you could dig up that review. I'm going to buy one of CT's books, I'm just not sure which I one I want to go for yet. I have zero interest in BBing, so I'm not particularly interested in the focus chapters on that in the Black Book, but I AM interested in seeing how to apply CT's principles to particular cases, so I'm still undecided as to which to get.

First off you owe me about 20 minutes :smiley: which is about how long it took me to find them and I won’t charge times and half for the 10 minutes on a Saturday hahahahahaha

NOTE below is my personal opinion only.

Just finished CT’s Black Book.

Pretty easy read with lots of pics and good exercise explanations.

A lot of it was stuff I already knew as it had been on his forum or articles, but for those who had no or minimal knowledge of his stuff it would be even better. That isn’t to say I didn’t get much out of it, I did.

The bits of real interest were assessing needs be they strength or tightness. Tests to determine dominant fibre type and planning training based on that.

The football program was a lot beter and balanced IMHO than the one he sent out for nicks.

The guide to Olympic lifting was very good especially the common mistakes and a bit written by Nic Roy (Kinman on CTs forum) was real good as it was written by someone learning them.

It certainly wasn’t too sciencey and I would strongly reccomend it for any PT.

I’ve just started his new one so will post a review once finished that.

CTs Modern Trends

This book is certainly a level up from his Black Book.

I would say describe the Black Book as good for the person who wants to do what is required and is happy to stay at a pretty basic level. This book is more like a University course in that you have to do the application yourself. All the info is there but it is up to you to figure it out. For that reason it may not appeal to all, for me I thought it was very good.

There is more than enough to help you apply what he has written, which is better than another cookie cutter program. He really goes in to the science of strength which even I could understand so that means most (if not all) here can. laugh.gif He gives a run down on Canadian Ascending Descending which is interesting as he has now said that he doesn’t believe in having too many different types of neural stimulation in one workout. Hmmmmm, this is a big change in a few short months and he discusses it at charliefrancis.com in the CAD thread. dry.gif

The chapter on specific application of the methods is really good and outlines the following for each type

e.g. sets to failure
perceived effort/difficulty: high
effect on structural elements (hypertrophy): high to very high
effect on functional elements (strength, power): low to moderate
load: 60%-80% of the concentric max
Number of reps per set: 6-15
Number of sets per exercise: 2-6
Number of exercises per muscle group: 2-4
Rest between sets: 45-90 seconds

He does that for every method you can think of (plus a couple more probably) as well as a write up on pros and cons, examples and application.

He talks about blocks again but more advanced application and how to design programs with them.

Talks about EMS and says that it has very definite application, but is no substitute for regular strength training, again this is discussed at charliefrancis.com

There is a great (and thorough) chapter on explosive strength exercises with some great pics as well as exercise descriptions and the target capacities. If you could do all of these you are very advanced! ohmy.gif

The section on training for women is basically the article that ran at t-mag extended out. If you read the article then you know what he thinks and says here.

The section on EQI stretches written by Tony Schwartz is interesting and I tried a couple the other day, they are not easy. I haven’t read enough of the feedback and questions on it (was waiting till I had read the book) to really comment too much.

Overall I really enjoyed it and got more out of it than his first one, a good buy. biggrin.gif

FYI I bought the ebooks from here but understand he now has them in hardbook format elsewhere and Modern Trends has additional chapters that the ebook doesn’t have. I asked him about getting the additional chapters only rather than having to get a whole new book…I never got a reply so took from that it wasn’t an option. :frowning:
That went down like a cup of cold sick :eek:

John,

JUST what I was looking for.
      How much do you charge a minute?

And can I pay you in R-girl paraphernelia?  :D

BTW, do you know where I can buy the expanded version of Modern Strength + Power Methods?

Charges vary depending upon how much money you have? :smiley:

What is R-girl? :confused:

Re the expanded version of the book, yes I do know where to get it but as it isn’t available from here it may not be appropriate to say :cool:

John, thanks for your help.

For your edification and amusement:

http://www.renegadestyle.com/girls_apparel.html

Liked them.