Best sprinter of all time

i agree with mr cool

I’d pick Carl over Mo.

Carl

100 Oly Gold, Silver
200 Oly Gold, Silver

100 WC Gold, Silver, Gold

WR’s None, but let’s not forget three 100 bests and one 200 best at Sea Level, which are pretty much the same thing.

Years at Top 5: 81, 82, 83, 84, 91; plus no. 2 in 85 and 90 and a very in form no. 2 in 87 and 88.

Mo

100 Oly Gold, Bronze

100 WC Gold, Gold, Gold but over a shorter time period. Carl may well have won more Golds had WC’s been every 2 years.
200 WC Gold

WR’s 1=

Years at Top 5: 97, 98, 99, 00, 01

At FOT 92, Carl had 10 months earlier run a 9.86. A recovered-from-a virus Carl would definitely have qualified for Barcelona. Thereafter, who knows what could have happened in Spain.

As for Mo’s 50+ sub 10’s, the 2 of them ran in different eras. Carl’s 15 sub 10’s were regarded as pretty amazing back then. Bobby Morrow, for example, wasn’t considered better than Jesse Owens 'cause he had run more 10.2’s.

i guess, if you consider the early 80’s, the tracks were back then a lot softer than that later in his career. Plus also, untill ben came out in the mid 80’s, that Having to run sub 10 to win races was not needed or really called for but for all the biggest races. Whereas now, just about any grand prix win, you need to be a sub 10s runner. ie, The WILL to break 10s now.

2 WR (60m… twice).

if anyone doubts ben johnson or putS him second to anyone, sorry dude, YOU NO SHYT.

BOB HAYES IS GREAT, BUT NOT LIKE BEN, CIAO

CIAO

I don’t know KitKat, Hayes ran 10 flat out of a chewed up cinder track in lane 1, we could go on and on about comparing, unfortunately we will never know.:rolleyes:

Ben did run a 10.06 on a chewed up grass track in trinidad once.

were you not scared about injury? going those speeds on an uneven surface, your legs could go any direction? leading to hammie problems.

didn’t think he’d be able to go that fast. He ran several races on grass as he was training on grass early in phase one and two.

Hayes’ technique looks better here than from any still I’ve seen before. In this run he clocked 9.1 (100y) in St Louis in 1963

2001 at an NFL parade

Thank you KitKat for those great pictures of Bob Hayes, I probably posted this before and if I did please indulge me, Bob Hayes was my running idol growing up, I yearned to run like Bob Hayes, never did of course but am still sprinting today and just before he died, I called his brother and told him how much Bob Hayes meant to me growing up, and would it be possible to relay that message to Bob as at the time he was hospitalized? His brother said that he might be due home any day and he would have Bob call me. CALL ME??? Bob Hayes is going to call me??? I thanked him for his time and for being so gracious. The call however never came as Bob Hayes died soon after my call to his brother. Thank you for allowing me to share this story about one of the greatest sprinters of all time.

Of course, like most guys my age, he was my idol as well.

hey if u want bob hayes photos go to www.corbis.com and search bob hayes. its like getty images. i got about 80 hayes pics from there :D. his technique was actually pretty good imo. in this video i bought from ebay about him theres a slo mo bit and his technique doesnt seem to be bad. his arm action was a little strange and he seemed to rock forwards and backwards a bit but otherwise it seems sound.

Some fantastic pictures there. Look at the margin in the SF at the Olympics! Puts it in perspective. I remember when I first did consulting work for the Dallas Cowboys, when Coach Landry was still there. He told me that Hayes was so dominant that the entire NFL had to change the way defence was played. Since no man could cover him, they had to invent the zone defence we know today.

Also, don’t forget, pass interference was almost nonexistent back then, you could cold-clock a receiver and not get penalized.

nice girls aroudn him, lets not go blind…adn yup nice pictures on that site…

Ben had a neddle in his arse.

If you love Bob Hayes you should check out the meet dedicated to him down in Jacksonville Fl, Bob Hayes Relays (high school-huge-over 50 schools easy)