Best Glute Ham Raise?

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/p_pDetails.asp?pID=575&category=13&subcategory=86&size=0&search=&page=

If you had to pick one to train the masses - HS athletes - which would you pick? I am leaning toward this. Is there an advantage to the ones with the rollers?

Ugh I wouldn’t buy that one. The rollers and the knee pad would probably make it very easy/too easy. I’d go with one from Elitefts or the Yessis back machine.

Would easier be better for HS since I am going to have some kids that are weak? Then we can add weight?
Thanks for the feedback.

I knew you would ask that. haha. It might be better for your novice athletes but not for your top guys. I’d rather get a model that demands more (is more difficult) than a model that may not suit the needs of an intermediate/advanced HS athlete.

I knew you would ask that. It might be better for your novice athletes but not for your top guys. I’d rather get a model that demands more (is more difficult) than a model that may not suit the needs of a good performing athlete.

Do it on the foor with a mat with the feet under a stable, weighted object.

Look here:

http://arpprogram.com/resources/video/espn_feature.html

I tried that, how do you deal with the crushing/pivoting force on your kneecaps?

Does that way give the same benefit as the machine? How is this any different than a leg curl?
I haven’t had a lot of experience with GHR, but it seems like the machine hits higher on the hamstring as well as lower.
Mortac - That makes sense. I suppose we could do negatives for the kids who can’t do one right?

Yea negatives or just adjust the height setting on the foot pads.

How important are GHRs? It seems to be very popular in the eyes of some people, and not included in other programs.
If you were working with the bare essentials - a couple squat racks, plenty of bars, weights, bumper plates, platforms, and dumbells - would a GHR be the next thing to get?
It seems there are some people who think that the GHRs and reverse hypers are the best ways to train the posterior chain (besides squatting). I have always thought we hit it well enough with RDL, good morning, lunge variations, and leg curls. Any input here?

We have 3 glute-hams, an EFS (made by Williams); a Samson, and the original Yessis/BFS model.
Without question, I’d by the EFS “collegiate” model. Why? The new one has linear bearings. High School kids (let alone college ones) will never figure out how to adjust the foot rests without it…The footplate is also huge, so that the athlete’s foot is in a better position. It also has band attatchments - probably of little use to high schoolers, though.
Hope this helps!

I would agree that a number of other exercises will do as much to promote posterior chain contribution to sprints and jumps as glute-ham raises. Even though the glute-ham raises might do a little more for the hammies than some of those other exercises. If you distinguish between those two sentances I think you’ll get my point which is on same lines as your thought on the subject.