Ben's squating with 495

I am sorry but I saw the picture of Ben doing squat on the bench like this, same… that was from 1987… So I do not know where is the truth…

Bro, I think you got the wrong video. This is an example of a unsafe squat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHU8_CiaWhU

Regardless, ( and this is not an attack on you fogelson) but when I roam around on the net looking at huge squat vids I’m always amazed at all the comments from unknown people who try and discredit the lifter because “his ass did not touch the floor!” or " he’s not completely parallel!". Geez, these people need to give it a rest! I’m quite sure 90% of the people who make these comments could not even unrack the bar in the video they commented on, let alone do REPS/SETS with it!!!

Totally agree with you…

The thing that you are missing is, at that point in his career, Ben was one of those people who shouldn’t have unracked the weight and done “REPS/SETS” with it. You can’t tell me that the positives (if there are any) of that lift outweighed the positive. Judging from the bouncing and apparent excessive spotting, he would have been better served to take at least a plate off. This only underscores the value of good coaching in the weight room and I can’t imagine Charlie giving the green light on anything remotely close to that.

When I roam around on the net, I’m always amazed by people who make this kind of silly ass argument to try and defend crap lifts or high squats.

Have to disagree many athletes even coaches on this forum could do squat lockouts with 495. Come on man, 495 with knee wraps, belt and a nice spotter while bouncing is extremely easy.

why would he do weights differently from how he was when he was no1, I suggest he has no form, knees too far forward, left foot, possibly both splayed, the spotter is supposed to be there to stop him from overbalancing backwards, not help him lift. I prefer the smiths machine, can keep an eye on form and assist if needed.

If the idea of weights is to overload (strengthen) in as close as position as possible to racing form why do deep squats where the butt touches the floor.

Wow this is the exact point I made to my friend today. I’m sure Ben lifting tech didn’t change when he wasn’t training with Charlie. Maybe Charlie instructed Ben to squat like this for a reason??..

I most definitely could do what Ben did in this particular video (which as said is past his prime). It is a complete shit squat and unimpressive. I know numerous athletes on this site alone who have squatted more weight deeper and with technique that is actually safe and beneficial. There isn’t a chance that the Ben in this video could do 455x1 to parallel without knee wraps and with a controlled eccentric. Absolutely no chance.

You just don’t have a clue about what you’re talking about and probably have no idea how to squat yourself. It isn’t even about it being a slight bit off technically as nobody is perfect with technique and a person not competing in the sport is rarely going to have optimal form, but the form in the video is so incredibly unsafe is poses an IMMEDIATE risk to the athlete, who could have a back injury at any time doing such a stupid technique.

I don’t think his form looked bad. His form wasn’t perfect, but it looked pretty solid to me. As far as him not being able to squat 405x1 controlled to parallel…yes he could. I’m almost sure he could probably squat 405x1 ATG for reps based off of what I saw there.

So any others materials on Ben Johnson doing starts or again being in the gym or any pictures? Would be nice… Charlie?

Can we get any clarification from Charlie on this? Was this the style of squat Ben Johnson was doing when he performed the talked about 600x6?

If I recall correctly, 600x6 was suppossed to have been just below parallel. As others have mentioned, the reps in this video look to be a bit (maybe more) above parallel with the assistance of knee wraps and a spotter. I won’t go so far as to say this style of squat is useless but it’s certainly a different animal than squats to parallel or below with no wraps or spotter.

Then just post the video to stroke your ego, or shut your trap!

Great, but we are not even talking about OTHER athleates?? Who cares??

What!!! Ben has NOTHING more to prove to me or YOU!! He’s already had a illustrious athletic career.

BOY this is where you really crossed the line! You don’t even %%%% know me???!! But you know what, I’m not even going to respond to this, or post stats, because I think it’s SUPER GAY AS HELL to argue over the “internet” like girls, over who squats more then who!

Bro, if you want to be a man about it if you ever come to the city of Philadelphia PM me and we can go hit up my gym and battle!!! Likewise, let me know what state you live in so I can battle you in your own gym should I come into your town!!

Why so much hate towards FOG, it’s not like he’s talking about you?

I know that was you that called me a “fag” in my user points fogelson. Too bad I know you don’t have the backbone to say it to another man without the ability to hide behind the computer…

Called you a “fag”? I just logged on to see the posts… I am baffled to say the least. I can assure you I didn’t call you a “fag” or any other derogatory term towards a group of people. Apparently someone may feel that way about you, though. I think you need to take a deep breath and re-read the post. Where are you running for indoors?

LMFAO. Standard F-O-G…

With all due respect, why are you questioning what I decide to post? It’s not like I’m talking to you?

Regardless, FOG brings this on to himself, he likes to aggressively go around and attack others who share different view points (mixed in with his foul language) so it’s inevitable that it will come back to him.

What was the foul language?

Well, if the real culprit pms me, or post who they are in the forum, LIKE A MAN, then I will offer you an apology FOG but I doubt it will happen because the credit was applied to a post specificity addressed to you.

As far as running, I’m running any indoor meet I can starting in Dec in the Philly area. Not sure where you are (haven’t told me yet) but FOG we can hit the gym and battle; I’m quite serious… I’m tired of all this internet whos better then who talk…