Bejing Bull Shit starts

Yes. When rules change in swimming, it is always the Americans behind it, so count on the fact that rules change to favor them.
Now China has a chance to get back at the US for adding DHT to the banned list without any notice after 92 to get rid of most of the Chinese team for 1996 in Atlanta while allowing themselves 6 months notice before adding Clen to the list. Something tells me the Chinese haven’t forgotten. (don’t bother running with this bit cause it’s off-limits) We’ll have to stay tuned to see how that plays out.

look at how the US scored Gymnastics in Los Angeles. Those Chinese athletes could have stayed in the air for 10 minutes and still not have gotten 10s- US needed em- they got em.
Now the shoe’s on the other foot.
sports for a turnaround:
Gymnastics, Rythmic Gym, Boxing, Wrestling, Diving of all types - just for a start.
then watch for Russian style heat ceding to allow more athletes through in Track, Swimming and so on

For sure China is advantaged in sports not particularly…worldwide spread…Badminton, Pingpong comes to mind…from them they got 6 golds at last OLy I think…
The only worldwide spread sports in which they are very competitive are Gymnastiycs and WL…In track and swim they ARE not powerhouses…so even If they get more golds than US or Russia, for a 1,5 billion people country, it is not such a great achivement…just the ordinary I think…

Come on Charlie, we both know that the NCAA doesn’t give a rip about the Olympics or athletes who compete in them. It’s all about the revenue generated from Football and Basketball. They will of course trumpet the achievement of those who came through the collegiate system, but the structure is constantly being modified to make this more difficult.

The parallels between this year’s Games and those of 1936 concern me. :frowning:

It is scary…if you think the death count of Chinese regime in 60 years is well in front that of the small Germany , even considering WWII…However, I Hope that the games will contribute to break this remaining wall…

wrestling and boxing are subject to pins and knockouts and track and swimming are still straight up competitions. a 20.5 guy doesn’t beat a 20.0 guy no matter what lanes you put them in.

the medal gap will close because of better preperation and home cooking, but the total medal count will still be the usa at the end of the day.

Kind of funny we mention the NCAA spending when a lot of the funding goes to supporting non-American athletes (ie SWIMMING!) in these “Olympic” programs. How about that Russian girl that was at TSU? Didn’t even compete for her team at conference so she could be better prepared for races in Europe, even though she was on scholarship the whole time…