Basketball off season training

I have roughly 12 weeks until the first day of basketball conditioning, and I am working hard to get in the best shape I can be in. I am required to lift at school on mondays and wednesdays, so I cannot change that .My weekly schedule looks like this:
Monday-Agility/Plyo training/Weights at School
Tuesday-Conditioning
Wednesday-Upper Body weights at school
Thursday-Agility/Plyo training
Friday-Conditioning

I am following a program from a book I have called “Condition the NBA Way”. The agility session involves quick jumps on and off of an 8 inch box, line drills, and sports specific drills among other things. The conditioning program lasts 12 weeks and starts with 4x400 yard strides, and continues with 400 yard strides down to 200, and in the last few weeks you go to on court drills such as suicides and other basketball sprints. It is reccomended in the book that once you reach week 7 you begin Sprint Form work training, so I will do that as well. My goals are to become much quicker and explosive, and be in great shape. Your opinions are definitley welcomed and please share your thoughts about my program. Thanks!

Sounds pretty good.

I’d like to see weights at least 3x/week. From my experience, which is rather minimal at this point, it seems that basketballers tend to have good reactive strength (plyo’s) but poor maximal strength. So I’d include some heavy lifting as they may be more important at this point than the plyo’s. Then after increasing your max strength step up/increase the plyo work

Also from the college bball programs I’ve seen (5 or so) they all include tons of conditioning and agility work with no speed work… I wonder why. Plus the agility work is used for conditioning and not necessarily for cns training (IE very little rest, tons of drills plus volumes of suicides which is agility in a fatigued state) again I wonder why…

Not commenting on your program but all the programs I’ve personally seen in general… Use conditioning days for conditioning, agility work for agility (treat like speed heay cns involvement) and maybe add in some speed days to develope a “speed reserve”

What is the maximum number of 400’s you are running? Just curious (see my 400’s and bball thread) they built up to 9x400

Thanks for hte help. The most 400s I will end up doing is 6, but like I said the distance is lowered and I will eventually be doing 8x100 etc. I also have jumpsoles with proprioceptors, and I was reading about how Marv Marinovich raved about them and I thought I would add them to my workout…I have his video where he demonstrates the exercises and it looks pretty intense. Do you think I should do that on thursday in place of the plyos? Thanks.

It’s tough to say about jump soles. I really think that if you have a proper sprint program, agility work and a plyo program they may be unneccessary.

If you could outline your weight and plyo program I could be of more help

what are the agility drills that your doing?

I will type up my workout routine and I would appreciate if you look through it. It is pretty long so I understand if you don’t want to read it all.

The weight program is done at school for my basketball team and I can’t change the exercises or anything. Since we only lift twice a week we do upper and lower in the same workout. This is normally what it is, though the reps change.
Monday:
Squats-5x6
Bench Press-5x6
Leg Extension/Curl-3x12
Lunges-3x8
Leapers (Jumping up and down on the calf raise machine)-3x18
Bicep Curls-3x8
Wide Grip Pullups-3x8

Wednesday:
Incline Bench Press-5x6
Hang Cleans-5x6
Step Ups-3x12
Upright Row-3x8
Straight Bar Curl-3x8
One arm dumbel row-3x10
Leg Press-3x8

This is followed by a pretty tough ab program. Like I said, the coaches make the program and I can’t really change it.

For agility I have been doing quick movements such as jumping on and off of an 8 inch box as quick as possible 3x12, doing that normal stance, feet to the side, and scissors. I then do line drills jumping over a line for 3x15 seconds, facing the line and feet parralel to the line. Then I do 3x10 Rim Jumps (jumping up and down as high as possible)…I do all the above with jumpsoles on then I move into the sport specific agility exercises which are…

Complete the Square-3x…this is defined as "Player starts in a ready position at the corner of the left side of the free throw line. 4 consecutive trips are made around the lane: 2 clockwise (trips 1 and 3) and 2 counterclockwise (trips 2 and 4). On go, the player sprints forward down the lane, Upon reaching the edge of the baseline and lane, he then slides to the right until he reaches the opposite lane. He backpedals up the lane to the right edge of the free throw line and then slides left back to the starting position.

Star Runs in the Lane: Place 4 cones like a square and one in the middle making a diamond (just like the dot drill except each cone is far apart). Some examples of the exercises would be (you do this to all 4 corners)
-sprint forward to corner, sprint back to center
-Backpedal to corner, sprint forward to center
-slide laterally to corner, slide back to center
-slide to corner, sprint back to center
-sprint to corner, slide back to center

That is my workout for mondays and thursdays. Like I said, the first part is done with jumpsoles and the second part is not. This is a pretty intense workout.

I was thinking of doing the above workouts monday, and on thursday (my other agility day) I would do the jumpsoles part like monday, but also do the proprioceptors. The proprioceptors are a circular plug that you attach to the bottom of the jumpsoles and they give you an intense balance workout, strengthening the ankles and knees while giving you an explosive first step. My entire goal for this program really is to gain strength and a quick first step. If you have read all of this, thanks a lot and please leave your opinions.

Where do drills with a basketball fit in?

^^Do you mean practicing? If so I do that after my workouts, never before. If you mean agility drills with a ball then I am not doing that.

I meant any practice with a basketball.
I would recommend doing a little (a few minutes of ) basketball technique, form work as a warm up before the main workout.
Also take your basketball practice very easy on monday. Don’t want to over do it (overtraining/injuries).

^^Yeah on mondays I have just been dribbling and shooting 100 free throws which won’t have any impact on my legs. I haven’t been using bball as a warmup though. I normally warmup real well by doing 20 yards of jogs, backward runs, high knees, butt kickers, carioca…then doing 15 kick through with each leg then doing the 20 yard thing again. I think I could add some light bball for a warmup also. My basketball schedule has been looking like this…
Monday-Light day (100 free throws/dribbling)
Tuesday-Hard day (around 2 hours of practicing)
Wednesday-Hard day (around 2 hours of practicing)
Thursday-Light Day
Friday-Hard Day
Saturday-Rest
Sunday-Rest

I may play a little bit on saturday and sunday but probably not. I am really listening to my body now, and I am on the last day of my second week and I am not really sore at all.

Originally posted by nba3km
^^Yeah on mondays I have just been dribbling and shooting 100 free throws which won’t have any impact on my legs

Kev,

since basketball is my first priority, i always do all my drills and shooting exercises before my workout. I find this serves as a good warmup, and it is more mentally effective for me as i am in a somewhat fatigued state where i have to concentrate hard on all my reps and sets in the weightroom. But i also find that all of the drills and stuff i do is hard on my legs throughout a typical week with me.

My typical day is like this:

morning:
wakeup and shoot light jumpers.
dribbling drills and some light agility drills (reaction ball drill+lane slides)
partner shooting drills–off dribble/off pass/lots of cuts.

Afternoon (1-2 hours later):
track work
speed/speed endurance
plyos-triple jumping/long jumping drills

right after:
weights:
5x5 chris T’s OVT program modified for me

right after/before/during workout:
GO! energy/recovery drink…lol

night: (8-10)
250+ freethrows with partner until i get tired with some light shooting in between to break up the mindless repetition of freethrows…lol

10-bed
girlfriend…lol

this has worked for me fairly well. Because track is basically over for me until the school starts, i will be adding some jogging and high reps of short sprints to get into better shape. I have 5star coming up and i need to get in top shape…almost there…lol

looks good though maybe u could take some stuff from me…i dont know…

peace and good luck man

That looks good. I have always read to train before basketball so you can be more explosive in my workouts but I dont know. It looks like your not playing that intensely so that looks good. What is your energy drink and your recovery drink? I dont know anything about the energy drink or if it is homemade or what. One thing I have learned about practicing for bball is to go real intense for about an hour and a half. That seems to be much more affective then practicing for like 7 hours a day which a lot of people do. What conditioning work are you doing?

for conditioning i play 4 summerleague scrimmages a week, which is the the determinant in the light workout on the court.

i posted about the energy/recovery drink i have now, it is in the other thread under “the deal of the century” thread…llol

peace

Dang 29 cents a piece, thats a great deal. Anyway, I think playing a lot gets you in shape to play, but we have to run a ton in preseason conditioning so I have to really get in shape for that.

hey, at least you have a coach that cares that much, we have one of the best coaches in ontario for high school, as he coaches semi pro teams down in this area as well as provinical teams…but he doesnt have time to organize the conditioning and strength training programs. We dont have the interest or even the facilities available. so i believe you are lucky in that aspect…i would still prefer to workout alone though because i have full control…

yeah, even if those drinks dont work, at least they taste good…lol;)

Yeah you are right about that, I guess I am lucky to be able to lift and go to conditioning. I just don’t like that I can’t change the workouts or anything. But we have about 15 squat racks, benches for bench press, incline benches, calf raise and jumping machines, leg presses…basically anything you would need. How long have you been doing your bball training? I have just finished my second week out of twelve weeks. I have a weight vest and im going to start wearing it around all day long to see if i get any improvements with that.

Yeah you are right about that, I guess I am lucky to be able to lift and go to conditioning. I just don’t like that I can’t change the workouts or anything. But we have about 15 squat racks, benches for bench press, incline benches, calf raise and jumping machines, leg presses…basically anything you would need. How long have you been doing your bball training? I have just finished my second week out of twelve weeks. I have a weight vest and im going to start wearing it around all day long to see if i get any improvements with that.

man i wish we had that many squat racks, as i have to use them inbetween the sets of bicep curls of the other people in the gym.

i have been bball training for about 3 weeks.

i will be training throughout volleyball season as well and i should come into basketball season a hell of a lot better and i should come out of basketball season with some scholarship offers of some sort. Hopefully i can get a free education whether it be in basketball or triple jump or something…i still have lots of room for improvements as i hit puberty like last year and it is showing as i have made awesome improvements this past year.

peace

Whats your vert and how old are you? I just turned 15. I start week 3 tomorrow and I am glad im actually sticking with a program…in the past i do a program then stop because i think the gains arent coming…I know if i give it time they will come.

Whats your vert and how old are you? I just turned 15. I start week 3 tomorrow and I am glad im actually sticking with a program…in the past i do a program then stop because i think the gains arent coming…I know if i give it time they will come.

i used to be like that too, stoping right after i think im not going to get any more gains…lol…i just started using weights last summer though…

I turned 17 this year actually.

I dont know what my vertical is actually i will measure in a couple months when im done this phase.

peace