Balancing the Load

You know, you are shooting quite a bit of HI shots. 150+ seems a little much to me, so this might very well be the cause of your staleness, and it is not the lifting. Maybe you should consider dropping those shots to 60-80 shots or even lower for a week and see what happens.

Remember, you don’t have to jump out of the gym on every shot. In a game, sometimes you have to do this to get a shot off sure, but if an opponent is that close, then it might not be such a great shot anyways. And if you are shooting a decent volume of LI shots (200-500 shots per session) on LI and HI days then you might not need so many HI shots in training.

As for your hips, if its your adductors that are sore, then you might be squatting too wide.

Also, stretching helps alot. I find that if i just simply do one stretch after I lift, for 30 seconds per muscle group, the soreness is like 50% better the next day, as opposed to no stretching. And if you have time, obviously a few more stretches would be better.

Another thing to consider might be a postworkout shake? A little whey + 2 scoops of powdered gatorade. This would only be taken on lifting days, and only if it’s a really hard day (muscle wise).

Training legs 1x a week, rather than spreading the same volume out over 2 or 3 days, will lead to more soreness due to low frequency.

On LI days all my shooting and basketball work should pretty much be stationary. Not moving around to much before jump shot, or dribbling into it, etc. Then on HI days do just the opposite except at a much much lower volume?

What I’ve been doing on HI days is making 10 threes from 5 different spots on the floor, highest elevation I can get. Then I will work on moves out of triple threat. And moves running towards goal. So im probably shooting 125-150 shots.

Then on LI day, I make 50 threes, not max elevation. Then kind of work my way around the arc shooting lighter jumpers from closer in.

I don’t know if you need to be stationary necessarily on a LI day. Just to give you an example, here is what I do on LI days:

1. just dribble up and down court at jogging pace mostly with weak hand. do this for a few lengths just to get u warm.

2. then do 100 or so layups with left hand (weak hand) this takes about 5 minutes.

3. start doing simple layups, fingerrolls, up and under layups, short floaters, close in hook shots, scoop shots, etc. (again like 90% of these are with left hand) Sometimes here, and if I’m on a court with a hoop at the sideline of hte half court, I will just dribble between that hoop and the full court hoop just working on my fundamental handles (again much of it is lefty focused) and doing lefty layups. I’ll do this back and forth for several minutes even.

4. close in shots with exaggerated arc

5. moving out to shots closer than FT, shooting from baseline, shooting banks, and in the lane, and try to do a lefty layup on every made basket or close rebound if the ball hangs around and if not then whatever just go into next shot. Sometimes between shots I will throw a lefty baseball pass or lefty underhand throw against the backboard and shoot off that pass or whatever.

6. just repeat step 5 but moving it out to FT distance and further and then to 3 pointers, and maybe then to nba 3s or whatever if you can make em.

At some point in here, if I have wall without padding available, I will do lefty bounce passing or behind the back passing against the wall. More lefty baseball passes are done too here.

Basically, this is all just nice and easy like a glorified warmup. I do it until my sweat starts to feel cold and my overall body temp cools down. This is usually after about 45-60 mins though sometimes I find I can’t leave and I have shot around for 90-120 mins (though from experience I have learned it’s best to stop earlier so to remain fresh). Not to mention my fingers can only take so much and split fingers suck. I think I start getting cold once I start doing my longer shots as I don’t have anyone to rebound for me, and a longer shot = longer distance to get one’s rebound or make obviously. And now that I think about it, I really should be shooting more FTs but lately I just haven’t been doing that for some reason.

So, it’s not rocket science we’re dealing with. Just stay warm and keep a decent pace, work on your skill weaknesses (shooting, passing, weak hand dribbling, etc.), and don’t kill yourself and your legs. If you start feeling tired or flat and it’s affecting your shot, then stop. Just like in sprinting, quality over quantity. “2000 shots a day in the summer” is arguably less than optimal. There is no point to enforce shitty form. So make sure that the 300-600 or so shots you take are all good quality.

Alright, I think I got you now. The LI is basicly like a warmup. Don’t go to hard as to where I am getting pretty tired. But still put up 300-600 shots with less then full vertical leap.

Practice starts in 8 weeks, how soon do you think I should start conditioning, in about 2-4 weeks? That would give me 4-6 weeks to get in shape.

bump for the sprint/conditioning work adbrauner.

I think 4 weeks before practice starts should give you enough time. Good conditioning is pretty easy to gain and you gain it in a short amount of time.

And when you raise your volume of conditioning work, you must lower some other components’ volume to compensate. Most likely, for conditioning you are going to be best served just playing the actual game via fast paced full court ball. And these games will also have agility, skill, and speed components. So, if this is what you do, some full court games + weights + LI skill work might make up your HI days. No need for extra explosive/speed work etc. because it is already there.