average V elite injuries

It appears to me (and I have no data to back this up, hence the poll) that average or worse sprinters have most of their injuries below the knee and mainly with calf’s yet higher level and specifically elite tend to get them above the knee in the hamstrings / glutes.

NOTE for the poll I have increased the 100m PB time for those 30+ to allow for the affect of aging on times.

This isn’t based just on just me (below average) but that just about every similar level athlete I talk to complains of calf injuries or issues. I can only recall 1 person (in his 50’s) with ongoing hamstring issues and he changed coaches this year to someone who’s squad has a high incidence of hamstring injuries. That isn’t to say they don’t happen just nowhere near as much as calf ones which appear to require ongoing management.

A few questions.

1. Is the above what others have noticed or am I off on a tangent?

2. If the above is correct, what is the cause?
    I suspect it is to do with a variety of strength and technique factors that result in flat footed running.

I (and a few others) use hills as not only a good form of training but as form of therapy. I’ll explain, regular running on the flat causes my calf’s to tighten and ache yet hill running gives them a rest. Without hills I would have even more issues. I do HEAPS of stretching and self massage which has helped to some extent but I still need hills. I also do a lot of tempo (all at this time of year) barefoot which helps a lot.

1. So if technique and strength are the causes, what are possible solutions?
    PLEASE do not just say get stronger as although that is part of the answer I don’t think it is as simple as just that…although I may be wrong.

Even more hills so that flat work is only 2 times pw? …possibly but not every week.

A deliberate attempt to shorten stride length and increase leg turnover? …not that keen on that idea.

Just accept it and make do as best (status quo)?

Comments / ideas appreciated.

is this poll for men only? :o (i’m asking because the options are based on male 100m performance standards)

sorry Stef, most definitely open to all I just had to set a benchmark somewhere so allow for the conversion. In your case I’m expecting you’ll answer 11.0+, < 30 most common below knee.

… and yes I know some will say running under 11 isn’t elite (which I agree with) but I would hope people get the concept. :rolleyes:

RUNNING UNDER 11 ISN’T ELITE.

man glad we got that out of the way.

well you’ll be pleased at being the smart prick to point that out despite me already stating that :rolleyes:

what was your response to the poll?

I’m definitely below average, but my knee is my recurring injury area. Stopped sprinting at 15 when our coached took 2 years off to coach in Bahrain, and was replaced by someone who knew nothing. Ran 12.1 FAT.

totally missed the sarcasm…

i voted above 11, under 30, and above knee.