Attempting to multi-sport in college...

I need some advice if anyone is willing to give some. I will be running track independently for my school this year due to the fact that they have no track team. I also intend to play Rugby. My problem is… I’m very much a short distance sprinter and everything I’m doing for sprint training is exactly opposite of what the rugby coach is going to have us do. I just received notice that the discipline on my rugby team is stepping up a notch with mandatory weight room sessions and practices 5 days a week all revolved around endurance training. Some of the work is like 3x5x400 with 1 minute rest between reps and 3 minutes between sets. Obviously this doesn’t coincide with sprint training and is completely counter-productive. How do you guys think I should go about telling my coach that I really do want to play but I’m not going to do the workouts he has set up?

If you are fast and in shape, you may be able to use the 3x5x400 as tempo…don’t try to run it fast, just stay with the pack. My experience with (football) coaches is that they generally don’t take well to a player saying they are not going to do the workouts!