Athlete's training journal

VG warm down is as improtant as the warm up.jog or walk if needed to cool down.also in reference to ice baths etc it depends on facilities.i have used ice baths with great results in the past.i would usually soak 40-50minutes after training due to the drive home.i would soak up to the waist for 20minutes.depending on how i felt i could either start luke-warm and bring the temp down or on the other hand start of cold and slightly elevate the temp before finishing.there is nothing worse than getting into a cold bath with that initial shock of the water.it makes more sense to avoid the shock and to slightly increase/decrease the temp

You wuss X !!!
[Just kidding] - I agree with you - the shock is awesome at first - but I just fill it up to waist height and climb in.
After a short while you get used to it.

(The greatest benefit - as Charlie rightly pointed out - I found was that my tolerance to colds etc increased - and X you know how important that is here)

Like I said there is a theory that a good warm-down and delay of 30-60 mins helps flush out toxins better - I’m not sure if it is critical or if we are just nit picking now (Charlie any views?).

I don’t time it that exactly - nor do I have a thermometer with me in the bath - cold is cold -
Generally I am in the bath about 30 mins post training.
Like X - based on the belief that longer than 20 mins in cold water will have an opposite effect - keep it to around 15-20 mins.
Charlie advocates always finishing with cold - so - shower off QUICKLY with a dash of warm water.

Basics Post Trg-

1. Good Warm Down
  2. Relaxed Stretching procedures
  3. ReHydrate
  4. ReCarb
  5. Cold Water (15 -20 mins dur)

(3 and 4 run simltaneously with 1 and 2)

[The biggest drawback is for those who train in the evening is that crawling into bed beside someone after a cold bath doesn’t work too well!!!]

5-2

Running
5- 5 yard starts on grass w/cleats(easy)
3x15yrd starts on grass
3x 30yr buildup/10yrd sprint
2x20yrd buildup 10yrd sprint
2x20yrd buildup/20 yrd sprint

Weights
Hang snatch 3x3 around 70%(light)
Clean Pulls 3x3 around 65-70%
Front squat 3x3 w/ 225 lbs
Glute ham raise 3x12
Dumbell curls 2x6

Recovery-ice bath

Felt kind of tired today,so i didnt push the poundages and just tried to get through the workout. My ankle was a little sore while running (because i didnt ice it last two days-lesson learned).

5-5 Monday

Start sprints 4x10yrd
Start sprints 4x15yrd
Sprint 3x40 yrd,1x30yrd*

Power snatch 3x3 (medium weight)175lbs

Box jumps 3x6boxes
Russian split jumps 3x3(each leg off step box)

Straight leg deadlift 3x6 315lbs
Reverse hypers 2x5 (upper body assistance)
Bench Press 5x5 @225 lbs. one minute rest between sets

Today was a great workout! the local high school track coach was out there and gave my some good coaching and observed things that i didnt realize i was doing-i felt my technique improved just from todays workout.
Weights were pretty light-didnt have alot of snap in my snatch, it was kind of slow probable because of the sprinting.
I did a bench workout that is geared towards improving my 225lbs rep max total. It was pretty easy- next time increase reps per set or decrease rest time by ten seconds?

Originally posted by athlete
I did a bench workout that is geared towards improving my 225lbs rep max total. It was pretty easy- next time increase reps per set or decrease rest time by ten seconds?

What’s your goal for number of reps at the combine? If it is 25 or less, then I would probably start decreasing times, if it is more than 25, then I would increase reps. I would also look at bar speed. If you think you can increase the reps in each set and keep the bar speed high, then you might also be ok with adding reps.

Of course, this is advise coming from someone who is a much better squatter than bencher :slight_smile:

xlr8

5-6 Tuesday

weights
Hanging leg raises 3x12
Russian twists 2x25
Leg raises (lying on a flat bench) 3x12
Close grip pullups 3 sets
Bent over rows 3x10
Pulldowns 2sets (light)
Barbell curl 3 sets

Running
Tempo runs 1x5-100yrds @75%
1x3 " "

Re: to bench work-
My goal of course is to do as many as possible! I think over 25 right now is a little unrealistic-however I still wont be tested for another 2-3 months, so ill probably do like three workouts where i decrease rest gradually then switch to increasing reps for three, and so on.

wed. 5-8

Weights
Squat 1x3@405,2x3@425,1x2@435
-worked up to 255lbs on the power clean-just for tech.*
Clean pull 2x3 425
Jammer 3x5

Agilities
Mini hurdles-(warm up) bunny hops,high kness
Agility ladder

*I havent been doing any cleans the past couple of weeks because my wrist was slighty injured and i couldnt rack any cleans- apparently my max on that has suffered, but i will start to do more technique work on it to hopefully improve my poundages.

thurs 5-9

tempo runs 2x5@100yrds.-75%

I got a really good warm-up first, and got good stretches. Felt good that all i did was tempo runs or else i would be overtrained for tommarow.

friday 5-10

got a really good warm-up of skipping and a new “reaction starting drill” that i learned this week. good for getting low from starting out.

running
Buildup of 30yrds-10 yard sprint x3
" "- 20 yard sprint x3
Buildup of 20 yard-20 yard sprint x1*

weights
Hang snatch 3x3 w/ 165 lbs.
Bench press 3x3 w/ 285lbs.
Close grip bench 3x5 w/ 225lbs
incline hammer press 3x5 w/ 225
shoulder machine press 2x8
front squats 3x5 w/ 245lbs

recovery- ice bath

*i was planning on doing 3 reps in the 20yard buildup/20yard sprint but as i was pulling up on my first rep i could feel a tweak in the outside of my right hamstring-i knew if i did another rep i would have pulled it- so i stopped the running for the day. it was about 95 degrees outside so the heat probably contributed to some premature cramping in my hamstring-that and i should have stretched alot better in between reps

5-26 mon

running
sprint starts 10yrdx4
20 x4
40 x1
50 x1

weights
power clean 3x2@245lbs
box jumps(about 27inch.) 3x5
snatch pulls 3x3 @335lbs
bench press 5x5@225lbs with 45sec. rest
dips 3x10@bodyweight

started this workout at 7:30am (this is early for me!) so my energy levels were low and i took of some of the volume of work i had planned-but the sprints felt fast

5-12 mon.

-good warm up-very hot out so i wanted to prevent any cramping or pulls

running
4x 10 yard strat sprints
4x20 yard " "

had planned on doing more but muscles felt fatigued and i really didnt want to pull anything by getting in a couple more sprints

weights
   - power snatch 3x2 @175 lbs
     -russian split jumps 1x6(for height)
                                    2x10 for quickness
     -snatch high pulls 3x3 @ 315lbs
      -reverse hypers 3x5 upper body assistance
       Bench press-  225lbs 5x5 with 50 seconds rest in between sets

5-13 tues.

Weights
hanging leg raises 3x15*
russian twists 2x20*
crunch 2x12*
* did these circuit style
close grip pullup 3x10
ezcurl row 3x8
barbell curl 3x6

Running
tempo runs 8x100yrd @75%

recovery- hot whirlpool

i didnt do my typical two sets of tempo runs because i was feeling slightly fatigued and figured wed. workout was more important to be rested for

Keep up the good work man!
:clap:

5-15 wed.

weights

-worked up to 265 on power clean,
    225x3
  -squat 3x3@405lbs
  -clean pulls 3x3 @365lbs
  -bench 5x5@225lbs with 50sec. rest 
  -jammer 3x5 180lbs.

Agility ladder

For a day when i didnt run first, i would have liked to push the poundages a little higher, but i felt solid on the work sets.

• hamstring feels tight-need to really stretch it out tonight,maybe some heat pad alternated with stretching. Also i need more calories-feeling weak and a little run down.
    I need to get to scale, i bet ive lost some weight lately-not good.

thanks for the encouragment!

Athlete, how old are you? Your lifts are pretty impressive :clap:

Are you doing half squats or full OLY style squats?

Cheers,
Chris

thanks- i dont feel that my lifts are that impressive, i think they are solid and i do everything with excellent form. it doesnt mean anything to me if i can get 10lbs more on a lift if my form is compromised in anyway. just concentrate on great form and moving the weights quickly and smooth. but thank you anyway,i heard a rumor that ben johnson squatted with 600lbs-that with a sub 100m-now thats what i call impressive!
im 22 by the way…

sorry i forgot to mention that i do full oly squats-ass to ankles!
(nothing disturbes me more than someone who does a quarter squat and then boasts about his “squat max”)
not that these excersise dont have their time and place,but distinctions should be made when talking about the loosely inturprited “squats”

My squat style is the same :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris

5-15 thurs

core training
v-ups (lying jack-knife) 2x5
superman’s 2x10
back extentions 2x10
fire hydrants 4x10
knee circles 4x10
lying abducter raises 3x10
hanging leg raises 3x12

running
tempo runs 2x5-100yrds @ 65-75%

today i introduced a new workout sequence for my core muscles specifically designed to strengthen my hip cradle. some of these exercises sound a little funny, but ill try and explain them if there is interest.
my tempo runs felt good today-best tempo session ive had in a while. i may have found out why ive had premature cramping in my hamstring. I seemed to notice my stride length was shortening- also low knee drive- i think this was creating a shorter range of motion between my ankle and buttocks-possibly not getting full explosion,ROM, and using too much hamstring in my sprinting.
that and im gonna add another bannana to my morning eating pre-training