Athlete Analysis Please Help

Here is a video of one of my female 400m runners. 5”6, 120lbs. 400m=56.5, 200m=25.1 electronic.

http://www.down-right.co.uk/TC07CF.wmv

[1.86MB]

I’ve noticed that her right knee comes across her COM and her foot externally rotates on ground contact.
I have done a lot of strength work with her but it still seems as though her hips are turning quite a bit. Could this be because she has weak medial glutes or is it a form thing?

Also, do you think her feet come up too high behind her after pushoff (close to her buttocks)?

Any comments and things I can do to correct her technique would be very helpful.

Many thanks,

Tom

good clip!
it would be interesting to see what others think!

the rotation thing becomes greater at higher speeds -not sure what implications this has… it might relate to other things, biomechanically (e.g., the Jane DVD)

her arms don’t necessarily “follow” the midline, her knees do a better job, i think, in this respect

the heel/glutes, i don’t think it’s a problem; it shows good range of motion there

i am not sure about her pelvis -there is not much “up” movement, despite the good, almost full extension -although it’s rather difficult to see even at slow motion- and

the other thing is that she rather lacks the end part of the running B drill here -not sure if i am clear on this; it’s like her foot lands too early with a rather whole-body leaning forwards… of course, a long extension with a breaking movement wouldn’t be good either for speed and hams…

others???

Nikoluski,

Thanks for the comments.

I have noticed that there is a slight forward lean in her shoulders. Perhaps she is not driving the hips forward enough after full extension and instead simply pushing the shoulders forward?

Should the arms follow the midline of her body?

Looking at Ben’s video from 88 Olympics I notice his arms do come in quite close to the midline, they actually cross it coming out of the blocks (I suppose to counteract the wider foot placement and greater rotation of the hips) but then drift out slightly lateral of the midline as he gets into full flow.

Perhaps this is why her hips rotate so much? Her arms arn’t compensating for rotation?

What does everyone else think?

I thought that hip movement you described is a natural occurence due to good flexiblity? I think her form is pretty good. How is her hip flexibility? During squats, are her feet rotated out?

about technique and midline, give me your details (e-mail for example) and i’ll send you a very good vid of Flo…
you’ll like it a lot…
:cool:

She is very flexible especially in her lumbar spine. Used to be hypermobile before extensive trunk work - anterior pelvic tilt. Her feet don’t turn out that much during squats but she does have slight chondromalacia patella in her right leg (her medial glute is not quite developed enough). There is also a slight twisting of her spine somewhere, because during squats she never naturally lines up her feet. Her right foot is always slightly in front of her left by about 1 inch.

I agree her form is pretty good but i want to make it perfect. We want to get her down to 55 outdoor this season and evenatually to 54 and every little counts.

Thanks

Tom

so the right leg has both the slight problem on the knee and it always gets in front of the other in the squats? there might an association between the two ???

also, is the problem of the right in front of the left still on after some therapy?

hope she manages the target times!

Hi

I would get her running a lot more upright, so she can get some action happening in front of her and get more effective work done on the ground. Right now most of her running is behind her and she is just stopping herself falling over. There is little hip flexion and therefore compromised stride length.

I would also get her hands coming to the middle a little more as per the comments from others.

how would you change that?
thanks!

What kind of strength training has she been doing?

She has a forward pelvic tilt suggesting that she needs more abdominal conditioning. I would suggest more ab work on improving the lower part between pelvis and abs. The fact that her foot hits her buttocks does not mean that it is a bad thing. Thats due to good flexibility and low tension in the quads and hip flexors.

I think your athlete needs more general fitness exercises to strengthen her abdominals, and definitely more work on erectors, glutes and hams (a larger percentage of time spent on reverse hypers glut ham raise), use med ball exercises to improve the quality of her pelvis. Do not worry about the foot turning its an idiosyncracy something that is not worth trying to change since its not affecting or going to limit her speed. E Ashford leaned over like the leaning tower of piza, yet it did not stop her from running below 11 secs.

There is too much deflection (knee bend) this can be rectified by getting your athlete to walk tall whilst stepping over the knee on a straight line. Then fly 20s for form staying tall.

I think you seem to be on the right path. She just needs more strengthening of the areas you mentioned. She’s not cooked yet put her back in the oven.

She does not have the upperbody strength and control yet to do taht, I think your analysis of your athlete is good. The hip rotation is not a problem. Some athletes have very noticeable rotation( D Bailey and Merlene Ottey) others do not but it exists and is necessary for fast sprinting check out CF’s video tape series and a book called “Running” by Frans Bosch and R Klomp.

watch the vid i sent you; the midline thing should be there in top speed! by both arms and knees and i don’t believe it’s so much a strength thing -not that it’s not needed!

about Ben, his arms drift out slightly lateral of the midline at higher speeds, also because his knees don’t follow; watch his knees; i think there was a “problem” there (e.g., couldn’t do plyos), which Charlie didn’t even care to correct… and why should you? :slight_smile:

compare this with Flo’s vid…
hope it helps!

all, please, feel free to correct/add on this!

Tom, I think you’ve got a good athlete there with a fine flowing style. Very nice to watch. She’s got a pronounced forward lean, but then so did Sally Gunnell. And, also like Gunnell, she has a high back-kick. The two things usually go together. What you see from the side-on shot is not something I’d worry about.

More worrisome is what you see head-on. There’s a noticeable lack of symmetry, suggesting to me a chronic pelvic twist.

You’re talking about her renegade right foot. Well, it doesn’t rotate on ground contact, it’s heavily pronated before it hits the ground. And it looks worse from the back than from the front. I managed to freeze the clip in a couple of places where I found the foot grounded at an angle of 30-40 degrees off true. That’s heavy pronation.

Then look at the arms. The right arm going back shows about a foot of daylight between it and the trunk, whereas the left stays quite close in. This is not an arm fault as such, but simply the necessary compensating manoeuvre for imbalanced action elsewhere. To me, what it all adds up to is maladjustment in the pelvis. If you could cure that, the unbalanced arms and the pronated foot would most likely correct themselves.

How would you do that? Well, not in the gymnasium. It’s a job for Frederick Matthias Alexander. Google for the “Alexander Technique”, and take it from there. But you (and she) might have to decide whether to take the drastic step of giving up running altogether until it’s fixed. Because the problem is that this is not a matter of accidental misshaping, it’s a matter of faulty usage of the muscles generally, probably dating back to childhood. She will have to retrain them. And running, especially when heavy training is involved, can only inhibit progress by emphasizing old habits while she’s trying to build new ones. You see the problem?

If that seems like a retrograde step, I would suggest that it might be worth the investment. I always wince when I hear someone describing lopsided body action as a “personal idiosyncrasy”. It’s not that at all. It’s plain wrong, and it can only slow you down, especially in sprinting where mechanical imbalances have a much bigger effect than they do in distance running. If you have a wobbly crankshaft in your car, you probably won’t notice it at 30mph - but you’ll notice it at 60. Not only is it having a detrimental effect on all the other moving parts, it’s also setting a limit on speed. If you can get your girl to run symmetrically, she’ll run faster.

Good luck anyway

Pat

Is it just me, and I may be wrong, but I think her tech. is not very good.
I am not sure exactly what it is, but her high back kick seems wrong, even if sally did it, not sure I remember her doing that. I do remember Sally G running very relaxed.
Her hips seems thrust backwards instead of rotated forward.
It seems that she is hitching her legs through instead of just lifting.

I am not sure I am being clear on what it is, but something seems fundamentally incorrect.
Not trying to be mean, just my thoughts
aloha

Yes she has a pelvic tilt problem, alot of women suffer from this, (personal observation). Hitching is due to lack of control underlying problem being strength

Cheers Pat. Giving up running for a year isn’t going to happen but I agree there is an imbalance! This is why i wanted feedback from you guys, because i didn’t want to try and correct stuff that isn’t an issue.

I have seen an imbalance since the start. I just assumed it was because she runs around the bend that direction and i see this a lot with long distance and bend runners (400m/800m). I am familiar with the Alexander Technique. Maybe I’ll add some more posture related work in on this one and see how it goes. But you are right, as long as she is trying to run at full speed it is going to be very hard to correct!

I have two or three (differing) opinions now. Anyone else like to comment?

I totally agree with Pat, the only way you can correct this is to address the hip imbalance. Her right hip is struggling to keep up with the left one which has already caused knee problems. Regular exercises are just going to make the imbalance ever greater because she’s going to her compensating muscles all the time. The Egoscue method is another option in correcting postural/functional issues. But in any case you need to work with a professional therapist for best results.

Does she evert on a postural test? If so, I would check tightness in the following:

Medial Gastroc
Posterior Tib
Adductor Complex
Medial Hamstring
TFL

As for hip height concerns, check here ASIS and her Illiac chest.

ASIS concerns:
Anterior rounding (lower) - tight psoas, TFL, glute med, etc

Iliac crest concerns:
QL tight on higher side

Just some thoughts. I would definitely have a good physical therapist do a postural/gait eval on her. You might even bring in video to help them correlate their findings on their assessments with her running technique. Good luck.

Update:

She just needed orthotics. Her arch was collapsing as she made foot contact (very obvious during video analysis). The muscle tendon running from her big toes PHL is very tight as a results. We got her some trainers that help to support her forfoot and it is making a slight difference and she is getting orthotics as soon as i find someone people recommend in the UK.

Since implementing CFs ideas she is now down 0.7s on average to 55.9 for the 400m from 56.5-57. It has made a big difference. Hopefully with the orthotics and another years training injury free we will get closer to 54.xx and into the national rankings! Thanks.

take my advice and leave her as she is.everything looks fine.there are a few small flaws but other than that all is good