ATHENS -24Jun03- Arron speaks further to AFP, Aliu and Chambers too - but not Zhanna

by Harry Papachristou

TRIKALA, Greece, June 24 (AFP) - France’s formerEuropean champion Christine Arron beat the worldchampion Zhanna Block in an thrilling 100 metres race atthe Tsiklitiria Super Grand Prix here Tuesday.
Arron caught Block in the final metres of the race tofinish in 11.09sec to the Ukrainian’s 11.13sec.
It was a high-level race. It's reassuring to beatthe world champion. I've done what I came here to do,''said 30-year-old Arron, who is returning from asuccession of injuries. Nigeria's Deji Aliu upstaged reigning Europeanchampion Dwain Chambers of Britain in the mens' 100m ina personal best of 10.00sec, a whisker away frombreaking the magical ten-second barrier. It was my day, I am thrilled… it’s not a supriseto me,’’ said Aliu, who was narrowly beaten by worldrecord holder Tim Montgomery earlier this season.
From the beginning of the season, I've been runningvery consistently. I've been running faster every day...my aim is to be in the final of the World Championshipsin Paris.'' Chambers agreed his performance, 10.03sec, wasdisappointing and it reflected his poor start to theseason. I think I can do much better,’’ said the muscularLondoner.
There was an easier ride for world champion FelixSanchez of the Dominican Republic who ran the quickesttime of the year of 48.07sec to win the 400m hurdles.
Greece’s Olympic and world 200 metres championKonstadinos Kederis pleased the home crowd by winning in20.30sec, but he was pushed to the line by StephaneBuckland, who was just two hundredths of a secondbehind.
Russia’s prodigal 800 metres runner Yuriy Borzakovskiyran a surprisingly shrewd race by his erratic standardsto win in 1min 43.97sec from the exciting young KenyanJapheth Kimutai, who was second in 1:44.34.
Russia’s Svetlana Feofanova triumphed in her duel withStacy Dragila of United States in the womens’ pole vaultand won the competition with a clearance at 4.70 metres.
Olympic champion Dragila slumped to equal fifth placewith just 4.50m.
In a competition decided on the last jump, Cuba’sAldama Yamile won the womens’ triple jump, tying her ownpersonal record and this season’s best of 15.00 metres.