Asafa will run in Doha

Powell will compete in Doha athletics despite injury
2 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA (AFP) — Former 100 metre world record holder Asafa Powell will be ready to run fast at a grand prix meet in Doha next month despite aggravating an ankle injury on the weekend, his agent Paul Doyle said.

Powell pulled up while anchoring the Jamaican 4x100 metre relay team at the Penn Relays, jogging to the finishing line in obvious discomfort.

Doyle, was quick to downplay the injury, saying it was not that bad and Powell will honour his obligation in two weeks.

Powell a two-time Olympic 100m finalist and Commonwealth Games double gold medal winner, anchored the Jamaican team to a world record 37.10 seconds at the Beijing Olympic Games. Two members of that team, Michael Frater and Nesta Carter were on the team in Philadelphia on the weekend.

Powell, who broke the world record in the 100m three times and held it until last May when Usain Bolt ran 9.72 seconds at the Reebok Grand Prix in New York, was a controversial inclusion in the Jamaican team on Saturday.

I hope he does well. People quickly forget about some of his stats. 100m WR 3x sub 10 48x… This kid is a living legend.

I don’t think people here have forgotten his stats, though I no longer consider him a kid. Didn’t he run a 100m WR 4x though? 9.77 thrice, and 9.74 once.

9.72 once as well, after Bolt’s easy 9.69.