Asafa talking WR

http://speedendurance.com/2008/10/10/asafa-powell-or-bob-hayes-worlds-fastest-100-meters/

Any questions?

Put Mr. Hayes in this era and he will beat them all.

Perhaps, in the relay. But getting to a 6.30-6.32 split out of blocks (which Asafa can do) is a different matter.

I wish both Powell and Gay well. But I fear that Gay is seriously pushing matters–you don’t go from strong painkillers just so you can run to WR in just a couple of weeks.

I get the impression that Gay’s real problem is simply trying too hard and not taking things as they come.

It looks like Tyson is going to be plagued unfortunately. A culprit of L to S?

Asafa is also L-S, and VCB has the same coach as Tyson. Both LOOK significantly stronger than Tyson in the weightroom department.

Maybe if Tyson was to end his season a bit early, take some time off then HIT THE WEIGHTS and get as strong as an ox in the offseason (see Bolt and the problems he had with his back earlier and what Glen Mills did about it), maybe his body could stand up to the rigors of training better.

Thoughts?

I thought VCB had a different coach then Tyson?

There was talk about her leaving Lance for Anthony Carpenter (remember, there was talk about Gay leaving Lance too), but she was with Lance Brauman at least as late as the Berlin WC.

VCB won her medals with Brauman and if there’s a L-S issue, it doesn’t seem to be showing up with her. She has had some injury issues, but not like Gay who seems to have some injury almost all the time.

I’m also curious about some of the guys like Kim Collins who don’t (didn’t) like to do weights. Anybody know what their injury history is? What I mean is, are the guys who appear to be somewhat lacking in overall strength development (compared to Powell, Mo and now Bolt over the last year or so) more frequently injured?

If he puts weights ahead of track most would say he will run slower.

Clearly Bolt bought into strength training but don’t think he’s going to the squat rack and doing full squats for triples. Ain’t happening.

VCB isnt with Lance anymore.

That is interesting.

Nobody is more explosive in that part of the body than Gay IMO. I wonder how he works that area “behind the scenes”.

'Someday’s your just on it, everything goes for you. That’s sport.

For me personally, I realised a long time ago elastic strength reigned over muscular.

What weights do you suggest for strengthening & protecting against the pulling of TWO groins/Hip flexors in the future?.

Considering running fast/sprinting creates more necessary work for the groin area, than any weight training? could accomplish.

If a sprinter doesn’t Bench/Dead/Squat, DON’T ever believe there not working hard.

Damn, I do bodyweight hold exercises which blast my CNS more than 1RM lifts. Performing 60sec L-Sits holds, planche push ups, any form of Iso holds can drain the hell out of you.

Just saw a chat Tyson did today.

He benches 250, squats 400 cleans 225 and said he snatches 225 too. I find the snatch number odd but the others are what we would expect.

Needless to say he has plenty of strength and his strength levels fall in line with most elite sprinters.

He also said he train 5x per week and lifts on Mon, Tues, Thu, Fri.

The reason he had to wait to start true speed work was because of his groin injury.

I think Tyson has some of the biggest glutes in sprinting.

Is it online?

Yeah. Diamond League site. I can’t find the link at the moment.

Follow the “Athlete Chat” link from the Diamond League homepage. The link to the Tyson Gay interview is here:

http://www.diamondleague.com/My-Diamond-League/Community/ForumChat/Chat-with---Tyson-Gay/

Probably clean numbers should be like 255…or it’s the first time I hear of a snatch and a clean being the same.

ummm pause and say…no homo!

A double psoas injury is probably the result of squatting as i can’t imagine doing that running.

Lance Brauman told me that gay hurt himself doing weights at 19 years old and didn’t do them for a few years after that. He recently started again which has helped but i’m not sure of the details.

Absolutely, and especially in regarding the ratio to his general size. Ofcourse we have to look at the proportions of sprinters to see if we can find patters. Conversely, Usain Bolt does not appear to have big glutes compared to the rest of his general size. (I wonder if that is illusion, and he allways wears his running vest on the outside of his shorts, so his vest hangs over his hips a bit, making it a little more difficult to analyse his physique.)

The gluteals are very important and strong gluteal function helps the psoas to also have great function when you run. There is a bio-mechanical relationship between the glutes and psoas.

Tyson Gay has great gluteal developement, yet he gets his psoas injured, which is strange to me.

I have noticed that Tyson Gay doesn’t have the best (theoryetical) timing of leg fold. He seems to butt kick (from behind) a lot, rather than whipping ‘under.’ I wonder if that could be tied in with some of his psoas problems.

Then again, his lower legs are so skinny, no wonder his feet fly upwards VERY quickly - as soon as his feet leave the ground.

tysons impulse during ground contact looks very long and aggressive during slow mo and regular speed, but he could handle it. From the side on slow mo it seems like his limbs undergo the craziest eccentric movement at ground contact witnessed in history. At regular speed it looks long but blurred such that the butt kicking occurs. 8I like to think of this as the elastic suck contact. As its been known to suck up everyone as of late not known as bolt.