Asafa Racing In Yokohama

YOKOHAMA, Japan, Sept 22, 2006 - World sprint record holder Asafa Powell will try to beat his own feat in Yokohama this weekend.
Powell, a 23-year-old from Jamaica, has run 12 100m races in less than 10 seconds this season, including twice equalling his world record he first set at Athens in June last year.
The world’s fastest man told organizers he would need good weather conditions and a bit of fair wind to set a new world record, but he appeared tired after a long season that finishes in Yokohama.
I feel a little tired. The season has been long but a rich one,'' said Powell after winning the Grand Prix Final earlier this month. The season started in March at the Commonwealth Games where he won the 100m title. His main rivals in Yokohama will be Patrick Johnson of Australia, whose personal best is 9.93, world silver medallist Michael Frater of Jamaica and Japan's top sprinter Shingo Suetsugu, the 2003 world 200m bronze medallist. To the disappointment of fans, Czech javelin legend Jan Zelezny, who was to close his illustrious career in Yokohama, pulled out due to a sore Achilles tendon. The 40-year-old instead had his finale in his birthplace Mlada Boleslav on Tuesday. I began my career here and I always wanted to end it here,’’ the three-time Olympic and world champion said then. Zelezny holds the world record of 98.48m and ended his career with a final throw of 82.19m.
Athens gold medallist Koji Murofushi will rekindle his rivalry against Ivan Tikhon of Belarus in the men’s hammer throw. The Japanese has won seven times straight against Tikhon, who was pushed into second at the Grand Prix Final and the World Cup.
The Olympic and world champion Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia, who failed all her jumps to end without a record last year here, will return to Yokohama to save face as the world record holder in the women’s pole vault.
Other prominent athletes include Olympic champion high jumper Stefan Holm of Sweden and last year’s world junior champion Remmy Limo in the 1,500m.
Grand Prix Final winner Sherone Simpson of Jamaica will face her compatriot Brigitte Foster-Hylton, the 2005 world 110m hurdles bronze winner, in the women’s 100m.

AND EVERYONE ELSE IS IN CHINA

SHANGHAI, Sept 22, 2006 - China’s superstar hurdler Liu Xiang will aim to round off his world record-breaking year with an emphatic win in front of his home fans at the Shanghai Golden Grand Prix on Saturday.
Liu, who shattered the 110m record he had shared with Colin Jackson with a 12.88 sec run in July, suffered a rare defeat to veteran Allen Johnson last week and is keen to make amends.
On Saturday night I think I will be ready to run my best... and with Allen next to me I'll be able to run even faster,'' he said. Liu's breakthrough 2004 Olympic title and world record have made him one of the country's hottest properties and the 'Chinese Beckham' guarantees large crowds at the vast Shanghai Stadium, despite a number of big-name absences. He will be hoping to repeat his performance of last year, when he equalled his previous world record of 12.91 sec as Johnson stumbled on the last hurdle. Because this event is in my backyard I will definitely be trying my best, striving to attain my best level. I hope I can get a good result,’’ said Liu.
Four-time world champion Johnson, 35, tipped the Chinese star to lower the world record again.
I think it's always possible there will be someone who can crack Liu Xiangs record. As a matter of fact, I think he can do it,'' said the American. I would not be surprised if next year someone ran 12.70-something.’’

Liu and Johnson’s task has been eased after Olympic silver-medallist Terrence Trammell and US record-holder Dominique Arnold pulled out with injuries.
The two join a long list of no-shows headed by Marion Jones, who put a halt to her season.
Yelena Isinbayeva, another top draw at the inaugural meeting, is also missing.
But the event has been boosted by the inclusion of Ethiopian distance great Kenenisa Bekele and the men’s and women’s world and Olympic 400m champions, Jeremy Wariner and Tonique Williams-Darling.
Olympic 200m champion Shawn Crawford – one of seven reigning Olympic title-holders here – is favourite for the men’s 100m, while world champion Lauryn Williams heads a strong field in the corresponding women’s race.
World 200m champion Allyson Felix and world indoor title-holder Me’Lisa Barber are also expected to challenge, while the ageless Merlene Ottey, still running at 46, could make the podium.
Another intriguing event is the men’s 1,500m, where Bekele comes up against Alex Kipchirchir and Daniel Komen, the world number one and two, and Olympic silver-medallist Bernard Lagat.
World champion Tirunesh Dibaba will meet fellow Ethiopian Gelete Burika in the women’s 5,000m.
In the field events, Olympic and world long-jump king Dwight Philips is against Commonwealth title-holder Ignisious Gaisah, while Ukrainian Olympic champion Yuriy Bilonoh is favourite in the shot-put.
The one-day Golden Grand Prix, China’s first IAAF-sanctioned meeting, began last year in Shanghai which aims to join the Golden League circuit in 2009.

asafa “the choker” powell…

on paper he is great, but gatlin always had the mental edge on him, thats why powell avoided
gatlin…

if powell has a perfect race… he shud run 9.70

i hope he does…

ciao

When did Powell ever choke? He ran near PR level in the Athens final… other than that?

who is he avoiding? he has beaten everyone this season.

I don’t like this scenario for Asafa. He’s clearly tired and he was getting pressed in the last two races but they’ve “made him an offer he can’t refuse”. I think it’s risky.

AGREED…

daniel komen retired several years ago. still holds an untouchable 3000m world record and is the only man under 8 for the full 2 mile… bet they wouldn’t say michael johnson was rounding out the 400 field.

but nevermind that. alex and DKK(kipchirchir komen) have no chance against lagat. and bekele is a non factor after losing a 3000 to craig mortram a few weeks ago. mort isn’t in the same class at 3000 that lagat is at 1500. calling the ameican victory. lagat is the man.

100% with you. he hasn’t been running quite as good since his 9.85 into a headwind in the IAAF finale in berlin. it would of been logical to call it a season after getting the jackpot. now isn’t the time for a world record attempt.

Use Wariner’s injury as a warning!!

we can hope that powell and his camp do. but the $$$ might be too strong.

i don’t think powell has lost but one race this season. the prefontaine classic where he was in a seperate heat from gatlin and it was most likely a race he didn’t compleatly deload for. point being he has been on another level compared to the rest of the world and should shut it down and prepare for the next three seasons. (worlds, olympics, worlds).

CHARLIE DEMONSTRATED HIS PRESCIENCE ONCE AGAIN: Asafa bailed out the easy way, making two false starts in the 100 in Yokohama.

Do you think Asafa takes advice from Charlie KK?

i would think asafa takes advice from his coach :slight_smile:

Freudian slip? This race was useless for Asafa like it was for Wariner and most of the 2006 winners. Each season needs an end somewhere but when it looks like extra race it is no good at all.

Or in this case, Asafa decided finally Not to take advice of his manager who would have viewed Yokohama merely as one more payday.

You still get paid if you false start?

I don’t think he takes advice from me but surely I’m not the only one who thinks this was scary!
Nonetheless, this is fortunate IMO and he should go home and get ready for next year.

like i said, their is always the class clown, asafa
powell is that clown…

racing is simple…

can u go fast enuf, long enuf.

powell will never learn this, ever…

ciao a tutti…

"today ben ran 9.79… sept 24 1988. "

Pot calling the kettle black?