Asafa Powell Debuts Nike Zoom Aerofly at Beijing

Asafa Powell Debuts Nike Zoom Aerofly at Beijing

August 13, 2008 by Jimson Lee
asafa powell zoom aerofly nike sprint spike

Sprinter Asafa Powell Debuts Leading-Edge Nike Zoom Aerofly He’ll Wear In Beijing

From NIKE Press release:

Nike’s deep focus on innovation for the Beijing includes work with one of the world’s fastest human beings – sprinter Asafa Powell. In his bid to reclaim dominance in the 100 meters, Powell today debuted the sleek and aerodynamically efficient Zoom Aerofly when he steps into the blocks in August.

The Zoom Aerofly is one of Nike’s most technologically advanced and lightest weight track and field offerings ever, designed to lock down the foot, grip the track, and provide advanced aerodynamic properties to shave valuable time off the clock.

Working closely with Powell and his style of running, Nike has incorporated leading-edge footwear innovation. Instead of more traditional stitched fabric panels, the upper’s super-strong, super-lightweight composition employs Nike’s revolutionary Flywire technology. Flywire emboldens the construction with 65 super-strong criss-crossed threads, or synthetic tendons, per shoe, woven from Vectran liquid-crystal polymer threads (a lightweight polymer. Like the cables on a suspension bridge, this construction method works to resist stretching, helping maintain lateral stiffness and locking in the heel and forefoot without adding extra weight. The heel-forefoot lockdown is further aided by Nike’s new lightweight lobe-technology collar, to help fill the area between the heel bone and ankle bone, helping avoid shoe slippage.

The Zoom Aerofly spike’s high-density glass-reinforced nylon spike plate, the same one Powell’s been wearing in his last two highly successful world-record seasons, provides a supremely strong and stable ride and amazing lightweight power transfer. The full-length plate is anatomically configured to work with the natural shape of the foot, keeping it in optimal sprint position. The eight-stud design allows for spike-length customization to accommodate any track and condition.
asafa-powell-zoom-aerofly-nike-sprint-spike-closeup.jpg

Weighing in at 186 grams (a normal track spike is in the 245-gram range), the wind-tunnel-tested Zoom Aerofly fits like a second skin. With Powell’s roughly 70 mph foot swing-through, the Zoom Aerofly helps reduce drag, in a sport where success is measured in hundredths of a second. In these shoes, says Nike’s Sean McDowell, “It looks like we spray-painted his feet.”

Powell’s Zoom Aerofly goes a step beyond the aerodynamic shroud, to also help tell the sprinter’s personal story. The upper offers a finish that emulates the spots on a cheetah – one of the world’s fastest sprinters – rendered in a fading Jamaican flag-esque white-to-yellow-to-green. This ultra-lightweight upper draws a further graphic distinction, converting some 10 spots into meaningful iconography for Powell. “We had many interviews with Asafa over the last few years as he prepares for the Games,” said Nike’s Sean McDowell. “These give him a little boost of inspiration as he steps up to the line.”

Spots include the image of the island of Jamaica, a speeding bullet, the likeness of one of his reggae music stars, a bass guitar (which Powell plays), a powerful and personally important biblical verse (Philippians 4:13), a fast car, the names of his deceased brothers Vaun and Michael, the “MVP” ensignia for his track club, and an image of the globe.

One of the world’s fastest men channels one of the world’s fastest creatures. Asafa Powell in the Nike Zoom Aerofly – it is destiny just waiting for the starter’s gun.

Highlights:

* Nike’s most technologically advanced and lightest weight track and field offerings ever
* Super-strong, super-lightweight composition employs Nike’s revolutionary Flywire technology, using criss-crossed threads, or synthetic tendons woven from Vectran liquid-crystal polymer threads.
* Supremely lightweight at 186 grams)
* High-density glass-reinforced nylon spike plate provides a supremely strong and stable ride and lightweight power transfer
* Inspirational iconography 

:eek:

Oh yeah baby! thats what i’m talking about!!! The shroud is back!

My boy in Beijing was telling me about the treasure chest of Beijing Nike stuff he’s getting…Olympics is a PR dream.

In white with lime finish …very nice;)

Change is bad. He should have offered to wear them on the podium instead of in the race.

The Zoom Aerofly spike’s high-density glass-reinforced nylon spike plate, the same one Powell’s been wearing in his last two highly successful world-record seasons, provides a supremely strong and stable ride and amazing lightweight power transfer. T

they build the shoes he wants - not the other way around

Thats my point, its not a big change.

I was agreeing.

Now this is sexy.

My bad…

You like Maurice?

Yes I do like Maurice.

lol, well there ya go. There’s your answer. Hey notorious: How about Tyson Gay. Is he a nice looking fella?

Hes prime to bring the gold back home, anyone willing to put money on the line. :wink:

Ah you are right. I guess I should be happy that he has some new kicks. It will also be a relief not to have to watch everyone run in the same damn Nike speedsuit for once.

LOL, give me an hour to think about this. Or maybe a day. Or maybe until Friday. I think Charlie’s odds are good. How much you willing to slap down on it.

:smiley:

$500…

Damn. You know something we don’t? Are both the Jamaicans going to have an accident or something? There’s no way you can just be that confident in Tyson.

Dont forget about Dix :wink:

Tyson is a gamer bro and I really feel he will win gold. Powell is mentally weak and as a athlete you never start talking blood testing making you weak etc, if he truly felt that way keep it to yourself. I think bolt will run well but the inexperience of running the 100m at this level may hurt him in the late rounds. The other secrets I can’t share.