Asafa: I just need races

Powell says he only needs races to be ready again

NEW YORK, USA — Former 100-metres world record holder Asafa Powell says he only needs more races to put his devastating showing at the Reebok Grand Prix in New York on Saturday behind him.

Powell looked out of sink when he unexpectedly faded to seventh in 10.10-seconds in race he was favoured to win. But although showing some concerns about the unfruitfulness of the race and his season thus far, the 27-year-old remains hopeful.

“This year is moving pretty slow (for me), but with every race I’ll get better and better,” a concerned looking Powell said.

Powell was in doubt for the Reebok meeting after he aggravated an ankle injury at the Penn Relays in April. He, however, recovered in time to compete and looked competitive in the opening metres of the race.

But just when you thought the Olympic relay gold medallist was about to show his rivals a clean pair of heels, the Jamaican began look uncomfortable started to decelerate.

It’s (ankle) is not painful, but it is very weak right now,” he said, indicating that was the reason for him not being able to accelerate in the closing metres.]\

Powell, described by many as perhaps the most technical sprinter over the 100m, is currently the second fastest man in the world after losing his world record last year to fellow countryman Usain Bolt.

However, despite slowly losing ground with his most fierce rivals, the reigning world bronze medallist has vowed to be ready to challenge his Jamaican compatriot and American world sprint double champion Tyson Gay further on in the season.

Meanwhile, Gay made his debut in the 200m an impressive one, after blasting to 19.58 seconds to impress everyone, including Powell, who watched from the side of the track.

“Awesome, awesome,” Powell echoed. “It was an awesome race.”

Accelerating in the closing meters is the key to success…

I thought everyone slows down, and it’s just a question of how much.

I think he’s referring to AP’s habit of shutting it down early.

yeah, I also laughed when I read that one. :rolleyes:

He would be better off if he just does not say anything, anymore.

Rodgers of the United States roared to a personal best of 9.94 seconds as his Jamaican rival, who is recovering from a knee injury, finished in 10.07.

:confused:

Since when are they rivals?