ASAFA: "I can go 9.65"

LONDON, July 23, 2006 - Asafa Powell says he cannot wait to take on 100m rival Justin Gatlin after the American yet again delayed a clash between the two sprinters.
The duo were due to race against each other in the 100m at the London Grand Prix in Crystal Palace on July 28.
However, Gatlin withdrew with a leg injury, meaning athletics’ fans must wait a while longer for a clash between the joint world record-holders.
It's getting a little out of hand,'' Powell, 23, told BBC Radio Five on Sunday. I’d like to get it over and done with and anytime he’s ready, I’m waiting,’’ the Jamaican said.
Powell said he felt Gatlin was avoiding him after his rival withdrew from the IAAF Super Grand Prix in Athens.
Since I've been in Europe I've been hearing a bunch of different stories and I don't know which one to believe,'' Powell explained. I don’t know what has been discussed, but all I know is that I’m ready to run whenever.
A lot of people are looking forward to it and this can be one of the greatest showdowns the world has ever seen so we just need to make a date and do it.'' The meeting at Crystal Palace, south-east London, would have been their first race against each other since Gatlin, 24, equalled the world-best mark of 9.77 seconds in May. Powell has since also crossed the line in 9.77 at the British Grand Prix in Gateshead, north-east England, where Gatlin was scheduled to run. And Powell was onfident he could set a new record and generate some postive publicity for the sport amidst all of athletics' various doping scandals. I’m sure I can go below 9.77. Whatever is humanly possible I’m sure I can do, maybe 9.68 or 9.65,’’ he said.
``We’re trying to make this a good and fair sport and that’s what I’m doing right now, I hope people can see that and appreciate it.’’