Aqua running

Ok, so what are people’s thoughts on deep water running, not just as a rehab tool but as a method of improving conditioning and even speed?

The type of workout I’m talking is done in a 2metre+ plus pool with a flotation band and is about making the legs go as fast as possible. The strides are as short as possible, with the legs are moving up and down landing slightly behind the centre of gravity. Arm action the same as sprinting.

It’s a workout I’m currently using as I’m recovering from a calf tear. I go at full speed for approximately 20sec on/off, 40 times.

Anecdotally, I’ve heard from a few other athletes that have found this type of workout useful, not only a conditioning tool but have seen some benefits on the track (improved hip mobility and stride length specifically). Myself, I’ve done a few workouts and have definitely noticed it fatigues the hips and hamstrings and I feel slightly more mobile in the hips.

I know there was a study done whereby distance runners maintained their fitness doing all their runinng in the water for 6 weeks, so I’m wondering is there any similiar benefits for speed athletes?

This is covered in Jane Project download. Charlie and Ange both recommended it at times. Maybe Ange will comment on her experiences.

Pool workouts are a great way to keep fit while minimizing any impact on joints, and in your case, muscle strain while the tissue repairs.

I like these workouts and also aim for hyper extension and sprinting arms. I do 25m x 6 at near full power once per week simply to gain some overload without the stress (mental and physical) of sprinting on the track. I don’t use a waist band since the power of sprinting keeps me afloat.

I have known an international level coach who stated they used aqua running with success for a 200m sprinter. Apparently the athlete came out of a short spell of rehab faster than before.

One of the high school coaches in our league had a very talented distance runner who broke his leg at the beginning of the season. Soon after the injury, they began training in the water. When the leg was ready for running, he came out of the water in excellent running condition.

An athlete at Fresno State tells me they have weekly training sessions in the water. Those who can’t swim wear the belt, and those who can swim generally do not. A member of the 4x400 team will hold a medicine ball over head while treading water with the legs, and then pass the med to the next team member.

Best,
Christopher