anyyone have studes to show effects of training in 1-3 rep range

basically i know all that happen etc but trying to find a study to use as an example for a presentation…

No studies, but how about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVB_rQFSsEg

ummm, i think thats power. lol

Dimas is THE MAN.

“google, your my only friend”

cant find anything at all on there…

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/94/6/2282.pdf

Recommend having a look at references cited in texts with chapters/information on Maximum Strength training (eg ‘Periodization Training for Sports’ Chapter 9 by Tudor Bompa has various references throughout)

I don’t have studies to offer, but I will say this;

I have read that the ONLY way to strengthen the hammies enough to directly improve sprint speed is to do 1 or 2 rep set at max intensity. Even then, few exercises can offer any where near the strength zone needed for the hammies.
My personal experiances reflect this, as I was at my fastest when I did 1 rep sets of incline single leg deep barbell squats. I can’t do them anymore becuase of learning un-natural motor patterns, which I cant be arsed to explain becuase I’m on my new girlfriends computer- and she might think I’m being anti-social. I will get back to this. However, I still believe I can et faster without weights than with weights, I was only comparing my speed of differant times I lifted weights, not comparing to speed I have when not lifting weights.
In saying that, you might be more interested in the c.n.s effect of low rep sets, or the general strength improvement associated with low reps sets, than the actuall muscle targetting.

incline single leg deep barbell squats?

There was a German study that showed bodybuilding techniques were more effective than low rep, max strength work for improving speed.

sounds like another flawed bogus study to me as ive seen about 20 that indicate otherwise. you have eto becareful with studies, most of the time they are flawed and only look at an aspect of training in a vacum skewing the results. for example how much training experience had the test subjects had. where they untrained before hand, if so i could have the jump rope an hour a day for 2 weeks and have them improve sprint speed.

post the studies then because the study in question (posted by martn before) went into it thinking max strength work would be more effective (I believe) and the study was performed w/ pretty decent sprinters. Beyond that we see Charlie also uses bodybuilding methods and has okay success with it…

Just to clarify Charlie uses classical body building methods only to develop the required masculature. Charlie does not advocate bodybuilding methods for the speed/power development of elite sprinters.

Depends on how you want to define it. He said he doesn’t go over 6RM load, which isn’t bodybuilder, but isn’t quite like oly lifting or powerlifting either.

…and weren’t the supplementary exercises done for 10 rep sets?

Lat pulls
Hypers
Reverse Hypers.
Occasional reverse leg press.
Occasional squat rack chins I read many years ago.
Also, didn’t Ben do the hypers 5-6 days per weak?
Even tho the squat-bech and pull were done 3 days per weak.

Scott

I’ll start looking in the NSCA on-line journal, but why do you need the studies? Will you need to actually quote the sources? If not, R. Roman’s “The Training of the Weightlifter” is basically an entire text showing the old Soviet piecemeal system for weightlifting, and they rarely, if ever, did more than 3 reps in any of the classical lifts. If it was me, I’d try to use some of this information and extrapolate what I need from it…

Good luck!

Scott
I did a quick search on the NSCA on line journal, and there’s 3 that might be applicable below. Many, many, studies might have some relevance. I still lean towards the old soviet texts, because studies that involve trained athletes and with exercises other than a cybex knee extension may be tough to find…

good luck

Juan José González-Badillo, Mikel Izquierdo and Esteban M. Gorostiaga. 2006: Moderate Volume of High Relative Training Intensity Produces Greater Strength Gains Compared With Low and High Volumes in Competitive Weightlifters. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 73–81.
[Abstract] [Full-text Article] [Print Version]

Vassilios Paschalis, Yiannis Koutedakis, Athanasios Z. Jamurtas, Vassilis Mougios and Vassilios Baltzopoulos. 2005: Equal Volumes of High and Low Intensity of Eccentric Exercise in Relation to Muscle Damage and Performance. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 184–188.

Kazushige Goto, Masanari Nagasawa, Osamu Yanagisawa, Tomohiro Kizuka, Naokata Ishii and Kaoru Takamatsu. 2004: Muscular Adaptations to Combinations of High- and Low-Intensity Resistance Exercises. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 730–737.

The ONLY way? Give us the answer please! We are ready to follow!

I should have typed, that I meant-(and believe)that weight training exercises done for lots of reps(lower % weight than 1 rep max)) don’t give enough strength stimulation to hamstrings enough to improve sprint speed. You may well disagree as you are more knowladgeable than I.

I believe that sprinting and jumps and block start clearances & jumping out of the start blocks are the only way to challenge the power of the hamstrings for even an intermediate sprinter, let alone an elite sprinter.