Anyone else hear the comment on Ted Ginn's speed?

The announcers of the OSU/MSU game quoted OSU speed coach(and of course former 400m world record holder) Butch Reynolds when asked how fast Ted Ginn is. He said “he can maintain speed in excess of 27 mph.” I believe that was the quote. Not sure but I don’t believe that is likely an accurate statement. If he could achieve that peak, I wonder what his definition of maintaining speed is?

Anyone know what a .83 or even a .81 100m split might equate to(fastest known to have been achieved, BJ, etc.) ? Still, a 27mph peak would not likely be over an entire 10m split but exist rather as an instantaneuous point. Opinions?

thats at minimum a .828sec 10m split. i call pics or shens.

multiply the 27 by the meters in a mile(1610 for simplicity) and divide it by the seconds in an hour(3600). and then that gives u the “speed” in mps. and you divde 10(meters) by that supposed speed and that gives u a 10 meter split.

the ted ginn crap makes me sick.

this reminds me of a espn the maginze feature circa 2004 where his father said that it wasn’t out of the relm of possiblity for him to make bejing in the 110’s. he lost 4 times in the 110’s his senior year in high school and several more times on the 4x100. he had a 110’s pr of like 13.5 then.

according to the announcers you would think that Ted Ginn runs 8.77.

Does he run OSU track?

I don’t think so. I think there was some kind of falling out with Ginn sr. and the head coach at the time-Russ Rogers?

One of my favorite cliche football comments(actually it’s very annoying) is when a team reports a certain guy having an especially fast fourty time and the annoucers proclaim the player in question as “having world class speed.” How would they know what a world class fourty would be? They would not even know what a world class 100m would look like.

Along the “broadcasters suck” category, I was watching a Giants game last year and the broadcaster said Tiki Barber squats over 900 pounds.

I think Reynolds could be talking about high speed treadmill running which reynolds himself used to use at speeds around 27mph if my memory serves me correctly.

We all know that treadmill running cannot be compared to track running, and although it didn’t seem to do Reynolds any harm (400m WR), surely if he could achieve such speeds on the track he would have competed over 100m, 200m and 400m.

They also said Donovan McNabb benches 500 (for reps I think).

It’s always the case that the most claims are made about the least verifiable.

Here is a link that says he is using 750 on the safety bar squat in his workout.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/08/02/nfl.workout.barber0808/

Ive heard that Larry Allen benched 700lbs many of times. The other day I heard that Mizzou QB chase daniel ran a 10.7 100m as a fresman in High school!

Check the pic of Tiki’s “squat” if you call it that (maybe 1/8th squat).

In the video his squat isn’t that bad. Starts sitting on a bench w/ safety squat bar slightly above parallel. Keeps hands on the power rack and stands up. Basically a concentric focused movement using his hands for assistance. I have seen much much worse.

Agree w/ Mortac

While this isnt quite parallel I dont think it is the worst thing in the world and if you talk to Tiki or the trainer their main goal probably wasnt to hit parallel. I have also seen much worse out of football players who actually believe they are full squating. I see people claiming to full squat using 400 when they’d be luck to do more than mid high 200’s.

Keep in mind its football players and not powerlifters, most of the time its commentators watching or seeing clips of these players in the weightroom making these claims and not the players themselves.

Do you know if O$U uses a high speed treadmill in their sprint training?

Why would they? hopefully they are smart enough not to get one, but they probably have money to buy anything from all of the bowl games they go to every year.

I was not suggesting they should use h-s treadmills. I was only responding to JohnG’s suggesting that Reynolds’ statement might be based on their(treadmills) use by him and/or the athletes he trains.

They hired in a group from north Ohio called Speed-Strength Inc…speedstrengtinc.com???

They use treadmills to determine the 27 mph. They have “clubs” for speeds on it, just like HS football bench press shirts (300 lb club) (25 mph club)

I guess this is the company that Eric Lichter/strength coach came from that used to prepare many guys for the nfl combines and team workouts?

u r correct, they have some good training methods but some of them are questionable.