Anybody hear listen to Bossa Nova

Man I luv that stuff. I’m tryin to expand my library to a more wide range of artist.
Right now I have some stuff from
Antonio Carlos Jobim, Sergio Mendes, Nicola Conte, Stan Getz, Quincy Jones, and a few others. I don’t know the names of a lot of the artist, I just stumble upon something sweet here and there. There are 2 distinct styles that I look for and thats the real uptempo stuff like the “Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66 - Mas Que Nada” or “Nicola Conte - Jet Sounds”, some of you may recognize “Jet Sounds” from that Joe Boxer commercial where that dude was dancin around in his underwear. The other style is the real slow tempo, like “Girl From Ipanema”

If any of you listen to Bossa Nova just put some names out there. :sing:

The “Girl From Ipanema” is awesome. But, I don’t really listen to too much bossanova, sorry.

Yes I definitely like the sounds of Stan Getz/Jobim, the Cannonball Adderly quintet(I think), Dave Brubeck quartet, much work of Al Dimeola, Pat Metheny, Quincy Jones, Laurindo Almeida and many others who at times feature Bossa Nova/Samba beats and music. Good stuff. I actually have a couple of compilation discs of Brazilian jazz.

Pioneer,
Gimmie some more names. And some suggestions on some songs. It’s almost impossible to find this stuff in the stores.

I listen to MARVIN GAYE (i felt like saying this)

Charlie Byrd trio has some really nice material. Its not pure bossa nova, as he incorporates jazz and classical into his playing. If your not a purist you will like his stuff. I suggest “The Guitar Artistry of Charlie Byrd” if you want to hear a great album incorporating bossa nova with a lot of other styles.

I agree regarding Charlie Byrd-I have the album(disc) he did with Stan Getz-it’s a good one. Brubeck did Bossa Nova USA(song) and though not samba a song called Upstage Rumba and a few others with that beat, Cannonball Adderley did song(many different recordings of the same song) called “the Jive Samba”. One of the Brazilian jazz discs is put out on Blue Note. Check out the artists and you will find some more. I’ll try to look up more titles. Pat metheny has music with many different styles demonstrated including samba/bossa nova. Almeida plays(from what I’ve heard) mostly acoustic guitar with accompanying percussion.