Another Braumann injury

IRISH INDEPENDENT Newspaper

Olympics now the focus as Gillick’s season over
Athletics

Wednesday July 27 2011

IRELAND’s double European indoor 400m champion David Gillick has dramatically called a halt to his season and revealed that he is returning from America to train with his old coach Nick Dakin in Loughborough.

Gillick was sixth in the World Championships two years ago and was bitterly disappointed to only finish fifth in the European 400m final last summer.

He hoped to further his form ahead of the London Olympics by moving to Florida last winter to work with Tyson Gay’s coach Lance Brauman in a training group that already included Irish Paralympian Jason Smyth.

[b]But the Dundrum South Dublin star lost nearly two months’ training to a torn calf muscle and he has struggled this summer, coming nowhere close to the world-class sub-45 second form that he has consistently produced over the last two years.

Gillick confirmed yesterday that he is taking the rest of the season off on medical advice, which puts him out of next month’s World Championships in South Korea.[/b]

“Obviously I am very disappointed to have to sit the season out,” Gillick said.

“I have invested a lot of time and effort in attempting to make this a successful year, but unfortunately tearing my calf muscle and the subsequent problems have put me way behind where I want to be.”

Gillick has also decided to change his training base and return to Britain to work with again with Dakin, who had previously trained him for four seasons.

Gillick returned to Loughborough a couple of weeks ago to undertake medical tests and will be based there again as his focus turns to London 2012.

“Moving to America was a massive learning curve and it was an opportunity that I am glad that I pursued,” Gillick said. “The aim now, however, is to recover and to return to 100pc fitness. I will have a great team around me and with their support I truly believe that I can perform at the highest level again on the world stage.”

Gillick’s first major honour came when he won the European Indoor 400m title in 2005. He repeated this success in 2007, but his attempt to win the World Indoor title last year ended in heartbreak when he finished fifth and was subsequently disqualified for barging. That was followed by disappointment in the European final in Barcelona.

Another top Irish sprinter, Leevale’s Irish 100m record holder Ailis McSweeney, has also announced that an Achilles injury is forcing her to withdraw for the reminder of the track season to concentrate on making a full recovery in time for London 2012.

• Cliona Foley

Irish Independent

Raises an interesting question on why, when and should an athlete move on from their current training situation…is the grass always greener on the other side.

The Grass is always Different on the other side :slight_smile:

If it ain’t broke … change coaches & chances are it soon will be.

But this is not specifically directed against Lance Braumann. Injuries are often a consequence of change - to loads, intensity, motor-patterns, you name it.

Yes its always a huge decision for an athlete or even a coach to make when they feel its time for a move. Again as Kit Kat mentioned this is not directed at the coach in the story rather an issue that occurs everyday world wide and raises the issue of when should one move on and when one shouldn’t? Further how should this move be facilitated from all parties to ensure the smoothest transition?

I didn’t even know that Braumann was coaching 400m runners, only short sprints. Which other 400m runners are in the group?

look at all the finest athletes in history. 1 thing they all had in common was the same coach throughout their entire career. from carl lewis to micheal johnson! why o why did gillick change??? the usa looks great to us irish guys but really it aint all what its cracked to be apart from te weather

There are perhaps not many but certainly some very fine athletes who made huge improvements by switching coaches. Carmelita Jeter when she went to John Smith, Mike Marsh under Tom Tellez come to mind.