Ankle pain

Hey folks,

Approx 6-7 weeks ago I hurt my ankle while doing sprints on grass. I didn’t roll over on it but landed normally and then felt the pain on the outside of it. It’s actually the exact same injury that Asafa powell currently has.
When I hurt it I thought it was nothing, just some slight pain, however today it is the same as the day I injured it. It’s just not healing.
Any form of compressive force really hurts it, especially running bends. No injury has crippled me speed wise like this and I can understand why asafa is running below his best.
What can I do to speed the healing?
I’m considering buying “don’t ice that ankle sprain” is it any good?

Thanks.

I had a bad ankle sprain this march and i still felt it until april and early may. Like a knuckle head i trained through it even though i ran with a limp Not a good idea- lucky for me i did not make it worse

Stay off the curves and use traumeel. Do ankle stuff like the alphabet with your foot all day… Not scinetific but it worked for me. I also used Kenisio tape for support. I found the ankle braces to be too restricting…

Not too long ago I had an ankle injury, the thing I found of any use was an Ace Bandage, i was pretty skeptical, but as my ankle improved the added support was really beneficial when running on it.
And you’re right to be cautious when icing, the method i found most useful was the ‘ice massage’ got me pretty quick recovery after, like a fool, initially trying to run on the injured ankle.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for your replies folks.
I’ll give the traumeel a go, but I’ve also heard that getting the traumeel injected is the way to go. Where would I get access to these?

I will also try strapping the ankle when doing sprints and hope it doesn’t restrict me too much.
Has anyone bought “don’t ice that ankle sprain”, I’ve heard it’s a pretty good book.

I checked into Hartzell’s stuff awhile back but never bought the book. If you go to the website you can watch the videos and find a bit of information.

From what gathered his premise is the ankle tightens up and immobilizes to protect ligaments while they heal from overstretching and tears. His technique is to mobilize the ankle right away and by doing so the protective mechanism will relax and pain and tightness will lessen. The protective mechanism is strong so you can’t just start moving the ankle so he uses joint distraction using jump stretch bands to open space in the joint which allows more movement.