Andrea's Training Journal!

I’ve been having really big plans to catch up on sleep…for the past WEEK. However, all the nights I am supposed to have OFF I have been called in to work to close and just end up getting no sleep again and again.
The lack of sleep has been beating on my immune system and I caught a bit of a cold. I have been taking all my vitamins and drinking lots of water, I ran out of garlic right when I needed it BUT I should be okay by tommorrow. Today on the other hand has not been very good. I got 8 hours of sleep last night but still have absolutley NO energy. Barely made it through work today and definitly took the day off from anything sport related.
I’m for sure getting a good sleep tonight.

My wrist has been KILLING me all day…can hardly put any weight on it to get up or sit down and it’s getting stiffer by the minute. It started shortly after my shooting session on Wednesday and may be getting progressively worse from carrying plates and trays and wood etc. However lifting weights doesn’t bother it at all :confused: I put it in a 15 minute ice bath today…afterwards it was just more stiff. I’ll ice it again later…no more icy water though…too cold! We’ll see how it’s doing tommorrow…luckily running doesn’t involve my wrists…yet work does, and I have to get through that first. Wish me luck!

Take tomorow off.

Today was relaxing, peaceful and refreshing.
Herb, you are very wise.

I am still sick though. It’s 8:30 and I’m going to bed.

I’ve been meditating on the following to prevent future incidents…

It is in [COLOR=Blue]vain that you rise up early and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;for he gives to his beloved sleep.[/COLOR] (PSALM 127:2)

Couldn’t fall asleep last night until about 10:00…and that was only after taking gravol. Then I got up early this morning for shooting practice at 7. But, my coach forgot that it was wednesday…so it was a lonely and pathetic practice.
Now I’m going back to bed, my body HATES me…and I’m taking another day off.

This would be your shooting coach right? We don’t want people to think I would ever forget about a practice (Rene-Lee, the one practice I didn’t show up for…I just didn’t feel like comming, but I didn’t forget about it :slight_smile: )

Well now that you remind me, I was ready to roll that day. It would have being my first day of training too!!! Luckly shane at the front desk told me you forget sometimes.(or i guess its choose not to show) :). On a better note, andrea do everything you can to get better. I know everyday not training feels like a waste, but just get healthy first. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is an excerpt from an MSN conversation with this young’n in regards to showers.

! Andrea ! says:
“I’ve been so focused on the contrasting…I don’t think I’ve used soap or shampoo since i met you.”

Andrea…take another day off. It isn’t meant to torture you, but to to help you in the long term.

Today has been very up and down. Felt absolutely horrible at shooting practice. Couldn’t get back to sleep when I got home. Went to work and besides a few coughing fits didn’t feel too bad. Then after lunch started feeling like poo again and nearly passed out during Harry Potter :eek: Don’t know how that is even possible. Anyways, had a massage and it was awesome today. Worked on the anterior compartments. Some fascial work and then attempted to loosen up the IT bands a bit. Didn’t get a chance to work the wrist in but I don’t think it woulda made much of a difference…it wasn’t feeling too bad most the day…but now I’ve got some wicked pain happening. Possibly from carrying trays at work ? :confused: I dunno

I’ve been sooo looking forward to training tommorrow. (You’re right Ren, it does seem like such a WASTE) I’ve been so determined to just get out there and destroy…too much built up adrenaline I haven’t been able to get out through anything sport related. It’s hard wearing a happy face for customers all day long.

But, if coach says take another day off…who am I to argue… :stuck_out_tongue: haha

And although you’re not INTENDING to torture me…well you get the idea

I JUST WANT TO TRAIN!

ps: I’m also a little stressed out cause I leave for Europe in 3 weeks and have not found any places to train aside from England (please check out my “Training in Europe” post under the off topics forum if you haven’t done so yet!) :o

Couldn’t sleep in this morning no matter how hard I tried. Only got about 7 hours of sleep and couldn’t get back to sleep for no reason at all. Got up and felt pretty good. Throat wasn’t bothering me very much and my nose was more or less not stuffy anymore.
Asked grandpa Herb if I was allowed to go swimming, but apparently I wasn’t. And was given strict instructions that if I do a LIGHT tempo run it could only be for 15 minutes. So I had to jump on any opportunity that I could get.
Started with 3 laps (bare feet of course) to make sure I was super warm. So ahhh…after the warm up…my right anterior compartment was EXTREMELY swollen. I was comparing it to the left one…and where there was an indent normally…the left side was buldging out and rock solid. It didn’t really hurt all that much so I stretched really well, did some self massage and got it to calm down a bit. Thought I would try out the tempo and see how it went.
Got in about 1400m before my time expired. And right up until I stopped…I felt like I could run for miles. Then as soon as I started walking…it all hit me at once and pretty much didn’t think I could move my legs another step. Walked it off then did another 2 laps cool down and some stretching. Vision got pretty messed up during the stretching, everything was kind of black and spotty, and my reflexes were shot (needless to say it was a safe ride home :rolleyes: ).
The one muscle in my lower leg was still swollen, and even though I was given direct instructions not to contrast shower…I took it in my own judgement that I shouldn’t get into a hot shower when my muscle is swollen. So did a 15 minute ice bath from my calves down and also my wrist. Then waited for a bit and had a “normal” shower. Felt fine afterwards. The swelling is still there, but there is hardly any pain so I don’t think it’s anything to worry about!

As far as the cold goes, it’s been very similar to the other days…very up and down. When I’m outside in the cold air…have some intense coughing fits, especially while walking. Sometimes it won’t bother me at all and other times I want nothing but to be in bed. But I drank TONNS of water today…and had like 5 or 6 pieces of garlic, some cough medicine and all the usual vitamins. So tommorrow is another day…and being my 19th birthday…I better be feeling better ! :smiley:

the coach is always right!

Right Herb!

I used to have a T-shirt that said that.

I could deffenatly use one lets get em!

So it’s my 19th birthday today!! Woot woot… :smiley:

Most normal kids would be out getting hammered on a day like today…not me though…all I care about right now is getting healthy so I can train tommorrow…or at least next week! And I don’t see alcohol as being a positive influence in that matter ! :rolleyes:

So anyways, got a REALLY good sleep last night…9 and a half hours or so. It was perfect. Got up and had to work for a couple of hours, then got some subway and Smarrs and I went for a nice easy tempo run.
There was alot less swelling today which was good. And during the 2 laps of warm up it wasn’t bothering me at all. Did a good stretch and felt fine…besides the random insane fits of coughing ! :o
Decided to do the SHORT circuit today…however I only made it as far as
1+1+1^
1+2+1+1^
1+1…halfway through this 100m my posterior compartments went nuts. Had to stop after about 75m and then walked a lap and did 2 REALLY slow laps to cool down. Stretching was absolutely brutal, they were tight and insanely painful. Shane helped out and flushed my lower legs for me a bit, which was awesome, they felt a fair bit better after that. Then I went home and got some ice on them right away, 15 minutes off and on about 3 times. They felt okay RIGHT after I took the ice off. But then once they warmed back up they went back to being stiff and sore. I haven’t contrast showered yet…but that’s next on the list…with LOTS of cold.

Anyways…Newfie style turkey dinner now. Then I’ll be avoiding getting dragged to the bar…good luck with that… :rolleyes:

Of all the days that I’ve been sick…I think today has probably felt the worst. I really don’t have much of chance of ever getting better unless I start getting more sleep. Only got 4 hours last night and by about 3:30 I just felt like absolute trash. Had a quick little nap…which didn’t really help much at all and had to work at 4:45…I managed to make it through without ANY caffeine…my head was so congested, splitting headache…didn’t think I was gonna make it through my shift. However I did…and made lots of money ! :smiley: and now it’s over and I’m gonna get a good nights sleep tonight!

I drank lots of water today, and had SOOO much garlic…and cough medicine etc. sleep is the ONLY missing element of my recovery…that’s what tommorrow is for !

Goodnight !

COLDFX or whatever ur coach reccomend cause
Herbs always right!

I think that the ATHLETES should get shirts saying that…that way we’ll never forget it ! :wink:

Herb’s Rx - “Eat lots of garlics, as much Garlics as you can possibly eat, billions and billions of garlics!!”

I have no friends anymore cause I smell so bad…but Herb is always right.

Hey atleast u’ve figured it out! Cause the coach is always rite! Unless of course he’s telling u something blatently stupid but thats common sense!

Just got back from the doctor. He prescribed me some antibiotics for Strepp Throat. He said I should be awesome in just a few days though and to keep doing what I’m doing (ie. lots of water and rest)

I probably should have gotten this checked out sooner since I’ve never been sick for this long before, live and learn hey.
I’m going to get a few hours of sleep before work!

Today has been great with regards to rest. Got a good 9 hours last night, although I spent a lot of time tossing and turning for some reason? Got up and had breakfast, then lay back in bed for about an hour.
Herb told me early this morning that I could go do weights tommorrow !!! :smiley: …if I’m feeling 100% better :rolleyes:
That at least gave me a little more motivation for the rest of the day though. Although the antibiotics are working wonders, everyone says I’m looking better already, I don’t think I’m going to be quite up to par by tommorrow.
Had a nice slow walk down to the beach, and relaxed there for about 3 hours. My energy levels have been so up and down since then. Sometimes I’m feeling PERFECT. But then 5 minutes later I have to lie down cause my legs can no longer support my body. I’m blaming part of that on the sun though !
Ate really well today and am drinking lots of water. I’ll have a bunch of garlic before I go to bed I suppose. And for the moment I feel REALLY energetic. So unless I get a response from Herb saying “Absolutely NOT”…I’m going to do some dribbling before bed. Since I haven’t touched a ball in almost a week now!
I don’t think I’ll be doing weights tommorrow. Based on my fluctuating energy levels. Since I have to close at work, I don’t want to fry myself before that and have a really bad night. So I think I’ll just take it easy, maybe go for a nice easy tempo run and do some abs for the first time in OVER A WEEK!

Definitly scratch that attempt at dribbling. Energy level just dropped about 95% in less than 10 minutes, so I’ll just be having a glass of water and going to sleep. I would say “going to bed”, but I might acctually fall asleep before I make it there. :stuck_out_tongue: