Andre DeGrasse to Altis

Good idea but you have to have a good business head and some experience and parents that are on board. He would have had to have all that or some of that. This was serious money and PUMA is a big corporate deal and I would be surprised if he had a lawyer negotiate or a proper agent to deal with any of this. Track is not an empowered sport I am afraid to report. The things that go on in Track are not the same adventures that go on in Skiing for example. For example. As good a all of CF’s kids were NOT once was there a moment when someone said oh gee whiz I am going to through a couple hundred K towards this and he / she can wear my company’s logo in return. One of my son’s buddies’ is a skier. I have a big bias towards what I call rich kid sports. Tennis, golf, skiing. The kid is good and he has one of the dad’s ( not his own dad) sponsoring his pursuit in skiing. This would not ever happen in track. In Europe you would have the support of the club or country or town.

32.7 or 32.8 was BJ’s best 300 meter time according to him.

Ben remembers doing 300’s as well as 500’s in the fall in the earlier part of the 80’s. He says he was not able to do them in the beginning but then they started doing them more. I remember Charlie telling me this as well that Ben and Angella and Desai all did 300’s and each of them were very good. Angella held the WR for the indoor 300 at a certain point if I remember correctly.

Ben told me that when they first started doing the 300’s he did his as fast as possible with the hope that he would not have to do more.
Charlie to Ben " That was fast. What do you think? Do you want to do another one?
Immediate after Ben says" NO".
He did not do more and did not need to do more.

Each fall they did a 6 week stretch of 500’s and 300’s and then the longer runs stopped as the speed began to intensify.

He said he was still doing some 300’s in 1984 but after that not so much.

The base had been laid for not needing to do it any longer.

I’ve mentioned before my own situation which was I was not good at SE. It was CF’s theory that I did not have the base or background and it was because with all my athletic background I did not have the progressions of work in my development. Maybe if I was a different person I might have been able to make up for it. Who could ever know.

As Ben put it to me" Every now and then we would do a 300 to sharpen the knife".

Back to the main issue regarding
[b]

1. the importance of quality [/b]

2. how many times is one person able to keep dipping into the well

For those of you in Canada:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCbIabQB-LA/

On CBC on March 3.

i’ve been hoping someone did this type challenge for years, i’m curious, and I think he’ll outrun Jesse Owens. Looking forward to it

Here is Coach Gilbert talking about having fun coaching Andre and knowing that she had a special speedster/once in a lifetime type of athlete from the very first day of watching him sprint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9Yp4emjVk

He is 10 y/o. This past weekend my son kept bugging me about taking him to the card store so he can get some game cards that he must have. I finally got fed up and said if you can get 3 hits in 10 pitches off my best than I will take you to get them. I was throwing approx. 65-70 mph (safe for me) AND came in about 8 feet (52’) to make it seem even faster to him. I used a tennis ball b/c it was out in front of the house. He let the first pitch go by to get the timing down (didn’t count) and he got his 3 hits…2 solid hits and one pop up.My location was good…no easy pitches. I should have said 3 solid hits. It’s been over a year since I pitched to him. Highly Motivated to get those dang cards.

Here is the article Ange mentioned

http://www.thestar.com/sports/amateur/2016/01/09/canadian-track-stars-hope-cost-of-olympic-gold-is-a-training-group-in-phoenix.html

Thanks for posting this ESTI.

I am curious to see what transpires there for the sake of the athletes.

I think athletes need to have a strong sense of what they need and what they need to do OR have someone watching their back. And if no one is watching ‘your’ back than it’s every man and person out for his or her self and I am not sure that environment is ideal but it might be the only game in town for many of these athletes.

I don’t think it would be a bad thing for our country Canada to look at it’s capital regarding talent and make a plan and updated plan regarding how to improve our countries training for it’s athletes based on history and previous results.

Instead, we have some of our biggest talents needing or feeling the need to leave Canada and I am afraid they are putting themselves at risk. I would not want to be a hurt or injured athlete outside of Canada but I have very little information regarding some of the details. I do know our medical situation is difficult to match in the US and if it were my child training seriously some place other than Canada I might need some guarantees I hope these people have.

More evidence for the fire. This is Trayvon Bromell running 6.506 in US Indoors (there was a DQ FS by Mike Rodgers, so the race begins at 4:30):

[video]http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&mgroup_event_id=25&year=2016&do=videos&video_id=168609[/video]

Difference between Bromell and de Grasse is becoming more obvious.

Bromell with the ben type start. Snap arm and go

Bromell’s hands are too wide IMO. I believe CF spoke about the the wider hands dropping down the COM too far unless the strength/power levels permit a position that would allow such a low projection angle-ala BJ. Maybe he’s extremely strong (?) in order to do be able to do that but that spacing is probably not advisable.

yea, i dont think trayvon read that part when is took on the ben start. lol

Yeah I think he and his coach (Michael Ford?) skipped that part.

Noticed that Oregon’s Hannah Cunnliffe’s hand spacing was quite narrow in 60m final at NC’s. Coach Taylor addressing something?

Yes, it will be very interesting to see how these two develop.
One stays with his Coach while the other moves on.

Brommel matched his PB 6.54? in the first race of his season back in Jan. He ran quite a few more races to get to his 6.51.

ADG got a poor start but ran down the field and looked very impressive from 40-60M. He was just off his PB by .01 at 6.61.

Andre DeGrasse Win 200m (20.23) Sun Angel Track Classic 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZrFDOsGTYY

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19880926&id=rcRYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=65YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3956,4832620&hl=en

Ben mentioning his 2x200m time trials 19.5, 19.7

Last year, he ran 20.16 at Mt. Sac, which is next weekend, and Andre will be competing.

what happened to his signature arm. I guess its no more. WOnder if he will run faster without it

Andre de Grasse pretty badly outclassed by Ameer Webb in the Mt. Sac 100–9.90 to 10.04 with +2.4. Not the best possible video, but this is the only one out there, I believe:

//youtu.be/nYU0pBwUlzw

Large PR for Webb. Webb ALSO 19.91 with 1.0.

Also, Michael Norman of Vista Murieta High School, headed for USC next year, who already has the #7 Senior 400 time and #11 Senior 200 time in the world, 10.27 into -1.2.

Thanks for posting that.