analyse my drive phase and top speed

the first video is my acceleration from the blocks to 30m. the second is 60m with the camera focusing on 40-60m. both are at 100% intensity. PR of 10.92, 18 yrs old.
drive phase

top end speed

In your top end, I paused the video a couple times and it looks like your legs are a bit low and not coming up as high as they could. I think thats a quad flexibility issue if I’m correct, although I’m not a coach nor qualified to make that judgement. Your drive looks a little slow but you look very quick once you get up to speed.

Thats a solid PR for 18 yrs old. The videos look great, keep on working!

wow thanks for the quick replies! r3n, do u mean the drive out of the blocks? ive never been the strongest guy in the race but im still working on it. hopefully next year i can get into a full strength program in college.

Renegade touched on it… but I will second what he has said and say lack of knee drive and or of which may be postural issues (getting tall etc.).

looks a bit choppy to me(cutting your stride short) mainly coz it looks like your trying too hard to push the run out. i think you will need to learn to relax while still moving fast. and let your stride open out without out cutting it short.

I think the stride at top speed is a little choppy, too.
I’ve seen young athletes getting that aspect of their “sprint style” improved by doing ins and outs (runup, then 20-20-20-20).

I think any stride issues are a result of insufficient power that will sort themselves out through further training. I’m not sure I’d worry too much about any technical corrections yet.

On the drive phase looks like you are keeping your head pointed down too much. Your head should be straight with your spine not tucked down. Many sprinters keep their head down to give themselves the “illusion” of being “down” in the drive phase when in reality they are not. Just keep your head in line with your spine. Let your body angle come up naturally, do not fight to stay down. As you gain strength you will be able to lengthen the distance of your drive phase.

I think the only technical error I would correct is the arm swing. Your getting too much back arm swing. It looks like waisted movement too me. I use to do this during tempo which translated over to actual sprinting. It is easy to fix. Charlie do you see this on the drive phase link?

Acceleration does not look bad. Post some more video’s.

C,

Should there really be any technique training when the power isn’t there? Doesn’t power and strength normally sort out most technical problems?

not that I’m trying to completely imitate anyone’s technique but if you ever see slow motion videos of Tyson Gay, Maurice Greene, Justin Gatlin, and others, it looks like their arms during acceleration are going all the way back. like if they were going to fly out of the shoulder sockets. is it because the arms are preceding the forward propulsion of the legs while coming out of the blocks?

also, another coach told me the arms are very weak on the upswing in that same acceleration video. what do you think?

charlie nailed it on the head, this dude is to weak in power… and stiff as board… ciao