all broke up

I have a sore hammy that hurts most when I sit for long periods. I got a charlie horse in bed one night and now it hurts when I sit for a while.
Whats interesting is that usually I can press on a sore hammy and feel the tightness but I cannot do that this time. I just feel the sensation but it is not tender to the touch.
:confused:

what the heck??

I also got plantar fascitis in my right foot. I was given some exercises and an expensive insole. Any other suggestions

possible nerve entrapment. hamstrings run over top of sciatic nerve. iā€™m not saying thatā€™s what it is but it is a possibility.

People who sit for long periods get this a lot.
it stems from your hip area - possably locked hips, ie, hips are tight from surrounding muscles all being tight, hence causing issues like your presenting.

Acupuncture
massage
chiro
foam roller
PNF stretching
etc etc are a big possibility
but you need somebody to check you out 1st to confirm.

:eek: Thats interesting! I am awaiting two hernia surgeries and my hip area stays tight.
As a matter of fact, my entire lower body hurts on most days. I just stay stiff. Feels like my bottom half played in a football game that I was not there to watch

:eek: Thats interesting! I am awaiting two hernia surgeries and my hip area stays tight.
As a matter of fact, my entire lower body hurts on most days. I just stay stiff. Feels like my bottom half played in a football game that I was not there to watch

I have just moved from coaching to Personal training - and so far - 100% of people i have done my assessments on, have had Locked hips - and not just a little, they are majorly locked. Nobody could even get close to a squat ass to grass even close without hip twisting to get down. As well as many other exercises.

I have got one girl so far unlocked in the last 4wks. The others have been locked for yrs and are improving steadily, it will just take them longer. Perhaps 4-6wks more?

Sometimes its not just a case of Knotted up muscles, its a case of simply realy realy tight muscles, no flexibility at all. So a lot of stretching is needed.

Sprinting with locked hipsā€¦ i dont think so! - you will be amazed with how well you will start to run once your free. totally amazed.

Is it because the hips are locked or because they have crap ankle mobility? If you donā€™t make them dorsiflex (and let them where a shoe with a big heel), can they squat significantly deeper?

I do heaps of different exercises on each person - and looking carefully - you can see the hips flick, or twist totally wrong, there is no movement other than forwards and backwards from the thigh bone. Everybody has suffered from different areas affecting the hips differently. Ie, Some are tight everywhere causing very little movement around the hip joint, others suffer real tight hammies, causing the hips to be rotated backwards and vice versa with the hip flexors and a combination of both causing total twisting and locking in that twisted position!

Once i have a fair indication of what is happening - i do some targeting stretching and foam roller work and that tells me pretty much exactly what is causing the problems, and what needs to be done to start fixing it.

to name but a few exercises to determine faults

• med ball chest passes
  • med ball chest passes but with a little Squat throw from the knees
  • other med ball swings and passes - checking for hip rotation or if compensated by other joints rotating instead
  • squat
  • deadlifts with med ball
  • lunge
  • dynamic flexability movements
  • PNF stretches
  • static stretches
  • Foam roller

i agree that calf tightness is a big issue - however, i want to fix the hip issues 1st and foremost, and as a result, the resulting tightness issues presented in either or both upper body and lower body is relieved substantially and making the ability to THEN work on them said areas so much easier to work on.

an eg with calf tightness
is one guy yesterday, the inside calf muscle was tight on his left leg, and the outside calf was tight on his right leg. What was also showing was his hips being out with one side higher than the other.
Imagine your local roads, they are cambered to allow water to run off. If your cars suspension was not set right, your tires would wear uneven, inside of one wheel and outside of the other side of your car (depending on what country you live - we drive on the left side here)

You didnā€™t answer the question.

Iā€™m not talking about calf tightness as ankle mobility is a separate issue.

Iā€™m thinking I may have locked hips. Here are my symptoms:

Extreme hamstring tightness
Upper hamstring tendon pain
back rounds at the bottom of a squat

I know itā€™s difficult for you to make a suggestion without assesing me first but in general what would you have someone with these symptoms do?

Thanks

I have yet to come across somebody who presents poor mobility due to Joint issues not related to tight muscles (either knotts Or just tight muscles) - perhaps due to high degree of arthritis? or bone deformity?

When i do, ill let you know.

As a note - if you set somebody up you can get them to squat deep, most people can if you set them up (by what means it doesnt really matter - ie heel blocks or holding onto a pole etc). I try to get everybody to somehow or other do a full squat (so far success), but we are seeing the hips rotate completely wrong in all cases so far. Its not just the squat, there are many exercises you can do, that take out certain parts of the body, ie, calfs and still hips dont track correctly. then there are other exercises that prove the shoulders and upper back are fine, yet bring hips into play and right away things are off.

It can be very hard explaining this over words on the net. yet very easy to explain one on one in the gym.

People rarely have such tight calves (gastroc and soleus) that causes mobility issues. People do have tight peronials, which are often neglected, and people can be tight from a non-muscular origin.

As a note - if you set somebody up you can get them to squat deep, most people can if you set them up (by what means it doesnt really matter - ie heel blocks or holding onto a pole etc). I try to get everybody to somehow or other do a full squat (so far success), but we are seeing the hips rotate completely wrong in all cases so far. Its not just the squat, there are many exercises you can do, that take out certain parts of the body, ie, calfs and still hips dont track correctly. then there are other exercises that prove the shoulders and upper back are fine, yet bring hips into play and right away things are off.

It can be very hard explaining this over words on the net. yet very easy to explain one on one in the gym.

I think the problem is first with your expectation that everyone should be able to do an ass-to-grass squat. Some people love to show babies doing it as an example of why adults ought to be able to do it, which is laughable when not considering the physiological changes that take place as one gets into adulthood.

Hereā€™s an example of why simply saying itā€™s the hips (and not also the thoracic spine, ankles, etc.)ā€“how many people do you have that cannot bring their knee up to their hips when standing? Even with an arched backā€“itā€™s rare to see someone that canā€™t do at least that, if not much better. Then why canā€™t they squat? There are plenty of peopleā€“I have seen it almost every day this summerā€“that can lunge well and have great ā€œhip mobilityā€ (however you define that), yet they cannot do a full squat, let alone an overhead squat. Thereā€™s more to it than just saying ā€œlocked hips.ā€

Speaking of tight hips(anterior)ā€¦how do you release tight hips(due to injury) when stretching only makes them tighter and the pain worse?

Yet again Davan - you only seem to read what you want to!! Re-read what i have had to say.
Im not going to write a book on the subject in a forum sense, and i donā€™t expect people to want me too - except it seems from you? And im not going to.
Re-read what i had to say regarding what exercises i use to determine hip mobility or lack thereof.

do you stretch before you warm up?

you need blood flow to stretch

do you stretch to get flexible before a workout? or after workout?

how do you stretch? static 60sec holds? 5sec holds?

can you buy or get access to a foam roller?

Oopsā€¦ive been stretching without a little warmup first. But even if Iā€™m warmed up stretching still hurts to do.

Iā€™ve been trying to loosen up the hips cause theyre just tight in generalā€¦but because of being injured theyve really tightened up. I was doing 30 second holds in the lunge stretch.

I have a foam rollerā€¦but itā€™s hard to target the tight muscles(theyre all the way up the leg and I cant get enough pressure where I need it.)

Oopsā€¦ive been stretching without a little warmup first. But even if Iā€™m warmed up stretching still hurts to do.

Iā€™ve been trying to loosen up the hips cause theyre just tight in generalā€¦but because of being injured theyve really tightened up. I was doing 30 second holds in the lunge stretch.

I have a foam rollerā€¦but itā€™s hard to target the tight muscles(theyre all the way up the leg and I cant get enough pressure where I need it.)

testā€¦